Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Someone explain the Marlins / Giants call to me...

Right now the Marlins and Giants are playing in the 11th... but I feel the Marlins already won this game and don't understand why it's still going on...

Back in the 5th Gregor Blanco hit was would appear to be a ground rule double.. but it was ruled fan interference... what boggles my mind is Barry Zito was on FIRST... yet allowed to score on this play. It wasn't a ground rule double which would allow him to score if he was passed 3rd base... it was called fan interference. The Marlins would go on to retire the side without Blanco advancing.. so if called properly the Giants never score.

Someone explain this to me? Were the Marlins hosed here?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
Right now the Marlins and Giants are playing in the 11th... but I feel the Marlins already won this game and don't understand why it's still going on...

Back in the 5th Gregor Blanco hit was would appear to be a ground rule double.. but it was ruled fan interference... what boggles my mind is Barry Zito was on FIRST... yet allowed to score on this play. It wasn't a ground rule double which would allow him to score if he was passed 3rd base... it was called fan interference. The Marlins would go on to retire the side without Blanco advancing.. so if called properly the Giants never score.

Someone explain this to me? Were the Marlins hosed here?
The base that the runner already on base goes to is up to the discretion of the umpires. If it is assumed that he would have scored on the play, then they let the run count, and the batter goes to second as a double.

If it was a true ground rule double, then the runner on 1st would have had to go back to 3rd, but since there was fan interference, the umpires have to discuss what would have happened, as the play naturally wouldn't have been a ground rule double.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
The base that the runner already on base goes to is up to the discretion of the umpires. If it is assumed that he would have scored on the play, then they let the run count, and the batter goes to second as a double.

If it was a true ground rule double, then the runner on 1st would have had to go back to 3rd, but since there was fan interference, the umpires have to discuss what would have happened, as the play naturally wouldn't have been a ground rule double.
The ball went over the wall.. it would have been a ground rule double.

Total BS now as the Giants just won the game. I hope the Marlins protest
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

The umpires estimate if the runner would've scored if there were no interference, they decided he would've.
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Fan reached over the wall, the ground rule double cant be assumed, therefore, what Ajax said is correct.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

It doesn't matter if it would have, the fan interfering negated the ground rule double call. If that fan had just chilled and let the ball naturally go over, the Ground Rule double rule would have applied.

Same thing as when a fan reaches down to get a ball that is fair and someone in the first row reaches down with his mitt and grabs the ball of the ground. Ground Rule Double, but since it wasn't a natural one, the umpires must decide to the best of their ability where the runners would have gotten to if the play was allowed to be played out.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

mlb rules ground rule double fan interference - Google Search

---
Rule 3.16: Spectator Interference on Batted Ball | Close Call Sports and the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League

Rule 3.16 specifically addresses the issue of spectator interference, prescribing the following course of remedy:

When there is spectator interference with any thrown or batted ball, the ball shall be dead at the moment of interference and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the act of interference

--
Ground rule double - BR Bullpen

This rigid awarding of bases distinguishes automatic doubles from fan interference, in which the umpire is free to award as many bases to each player as he deems the player would have attained without the interference.

--
Interference (baseball) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ball becomes dead, and the umpire will award any bases or charge any outs that, in his judgment, would have occurred without the interference.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote