Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Maikel Franco.... the next Yasiel Puig?

Ok, not quite.... but, since coming up from high A, now in AA.... he is batting .468, 22 hits in 47 ABs including 4 HRs... kid basically came out of nowhere... Was only considered the Phillies 8th best prospect coming into this year in basically a terrible farm system. Is this kid just catching lightning in a bottle or is he the real thing? Anyone been to Reading to see this kid over the last 2 weeks?

Also, for any of you phillies prospect fans... where does Roman Quinn stand with the drafting of J.P Crawford.... they are basically both the same player with Crawford's skills having a higher ceiling...

Thanks for any insight in advance.
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Been extremely impressed by Franco's year. Have had high hopes for him since he signed, had picked up a few base chromes and color after release. Wish I had bought more though his prices are nuts right now. Hoping that he has a BC auto this year or next!

Can't wait til the futures game to see him light up americas top pitching

Yeah that's a tough one, though I'm not sure how well JP Crawford is at D. Will have to read more into his scouting reports but from what I read before the draft he was one of the only sure SS. Phillies have a habbit of trading their farm away so I can see one of them being dealt if they don't move one to a new position. Life of a phillies prospector :/

Last edited by Otherside; 07-01-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Otherside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

I saw Franco play on Thursday, looked good both at the plate and at the hot corner. People have been raving about him this year, including the Fantasy "experts" at CBS Sportsline. They have him as one of the "stash this prospect" players.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cards are certainly catching fire...
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yea I think after the Futures game people will know who he is...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quinn and Crawford should have no bearing on each other as one is playing in the GCL and the other in the SAL. Being 3 levels apart should mean it will be a few years until the Phillies have to decide who will play SS for the MLB club...if either of them progress that far.

As for Franco, he really hasn't come out of no where. BP had him ranked #2 and Mark Anderson on Baseball Prospect Nation (who does occasionally write for BP) has been a big fan of him for some time.

Franco should stay at third. Doesn't have much speed at all but a very strong arm. Doesn't strike out that much either and will take a walk. The power has been the big change this year. As a Phillies prospector the real exciting part was following Franco and Sano put up almost identical production in the FSL then get promoted to AA and have Franco not miss a stride.
Vortigaunt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigaunt86 View Post
Quinn and Crawford should have no bearing on each other as one is playing in the GCL and the other in the SAL. Being 3 levels apart should mean it will be a few years until the Phillies have to decide who will play SS for the MLB club...if either of them progress that far.

As for Franco, he really hasn't come out of no where. BP had him ranked #2 and Mark Anderson on Baseball Prospect Nation (who does occasionally write for BP) has been a big fan of him for some time.

Franco should stay at third. Doesn't have much speed at all but a very strong arm. Doesn't strike out that much either and will take a walk. The power has been the big change this year. As a Phillies prospector the real exciting part was following Franco and Sano put up almost identical production in the FSL then get promoted to AA and have Franco not miss a stride.

Who gets traded this year?

Quinn
Asche
Franco
Ruf
Valle
Jospeh
Martin

I hope they keep them all but we do need pitching. I have faith in Biddle but don't see him ready come september.
Otherside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherside View Post

Quinn
Asche
Franco
Ruf
Valle
Jospeh
Martin

I hope they keep them all but we do need pitching. I have faith in Biddle but don't see him ready come september.
I honestly see Ruf or Valle being traded.
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgbasher View Post
I honestly see Ruf or Valle being traded.
Ruf stinks, career minor leaguer... will see the mlb once and a blue moon in sept till he's 39
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think the thing to realize about Franco is that he's just starting to fill out physically, which is why the power is just starting to show up. He's still only 20....
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamonKid View Post
Ruf stinks, career minor leaguer... will see the mlb once and a blue moon in sept till he's 39
I agree with this, and I think the Phillies minor league system is in trouble. Franco however, I believe is their shining light. Don't be surprised if he is called up in another uniform...
Old 07-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherside View Post

Quinn
Asche
Franco
Ruf
Valle
Jospeh
Martin

None. We're sellers, not buyers.

However, it would not surprise me to see both Chooch and Utley stay. If Utley is tendered and leaves, we get the draft pick. As for Chooch, our three "studs" are completely not ready, and I'm not sure if Valle or Rupp will ever be ready. As for Joseph, he's still battling the concussion.

I don't feel comfortable with either of those three or Kratz as our starting catcher.