Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo2 View Post
Does anyone else not understand all this Arod hate? If it's driven by steroids and arrogance, why do guys like Manny and Sheffield get such a relative pass?
I never understood the hate either. And from what I've gathered a lot of the hate stems from the media. More specifically the NY media.
A lot of people (fans and media alike) never gave A-Rod a chance because they were afraid he was going to take the SS position away from Jesus Christ. Once the steroid issue came up the hate on him really took off because for some reason a lot of people think steroid users are these satanic, evil, terrible people who'd kick puppies and make fun of orphans.
Throw in things like Torre calling him "A-Fraud", getting that huge contract and not meeting the expectations set for him by impatient and greedy Yankees fans, amongst other things, and you have the most hated guy in the MLB.

In the end I think it's all a marketing ploy to get people (casual fans) to pay attention to games/articles/whatever by throwing A-Rods name out there and shoving all this controversy that surrounds him down people's throats and making it seem as though he's this guy that everyone just has to keep their eye on. Kinda like Jeter only Jeter is portrayed as a Saint and presented more positively.

Personally I think A-Rod gets way too much hate than he deserves and that the only place that has the "right" to hate him is Seattle IMO. But maybe that's just me.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
I think two awful players for a guy who never plays is a wash, as a guy with my personal bias in these discussions. Montero was overhyped like every New York prospect.
as of now the trade is a wash. Obviously everyone has their own opinion but i thought Montero could've been a great player for us. Now we will never know...
SportsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
I never understood the hate either. And from what I've gathered a lot of the hate stems from the media. More specifically the NY media.
A lot of people (fans and media alike) never gave A-Rod a chance because they were afraid he was going to take the SS position away from Jesus Christ. Once the steroid issue came up the hate on him really took off because for some reason a lot of people think steroid users are these satanic, evil, terrible people who'd kick puppies and make fun of orphans.
Throw in things like Torre calling him "A-Fraud", getting that huge contract and not meeting the expectations set for him by impatient and greedy Yankees fans, amongst other things, and you have the most hated guy in the MLB.

In the end I think it's all a marketing ploy to get people (casual fans) to pay attention to games/articles/whatever by throwing A-Rods name out there and shoving all this controversy that surrounds him down people's throats and making it seem as though he's this guy that everyone just has to keep their eye on. Kinda like Jeter only Jeter is portrayed as a Saint and presented more positively.

Personally I think A-Rod gets way too much hate than he deserves and that the only place that has the "right" to hate him is Seattle IMO. But maybe that's just me.
i agree. the mariners fans have a right to hate on him but its ridiculous that the media has now made it that everyone should basically not like him. A-Rods production has gone down recently but hes at fricken 647 career home runs. He has a chance to become the all time HR King! Also he's only 13 home runs behind Willie Mays for 4th all time.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #29 (permalink)

People, calm down...He needs to get back into shape and everything...He'll probably be roughly league average...
wwejhardyrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan2342 View Post
i agree. the mariners fans have a right to hate on him but its ridiculous that the media has now made it that everyone should basically not like him. A-Rods production has gone down recently but hes at fricken 647 career home runs. He has a chance to become the all time HR King! Also he's only 13 home runs behind Willie Mays for 4th all time.
No, he doesn't...no one who admits to using steroids has a chance at that.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
No, he doesn't...no one who admits to using steroids has a chance at that.
i didnt mean what you and others may consider to be the home run king. Im strictly talking about the stats. Barry Bonds is technically the home run leader but everyone knows he took steroids. A-Rod also took steroids but im just talking about the numbers. He is 115 away from tieing bonds for 1st all time. The real HR king is Hank Aaron since he wasent juiced.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #32 (permalink)

I live near Charleston so maybe I can go and see a big name for once!
lazygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan2342 View Post
i didnt mean what you and others may consider to be the home run king. Im strictly talking about the stats. Barry Bonds is technically the home run leader but everyone knows he took steroids. A-Rod also took steroids but im just talking about the numbers. He is 115 away from tieing bonds for 1st all time. The real HR king is Hank Aaron since he wasent juiced.
Prove it....
Cubs_rock21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs_rock21 View Post
Prove it....
With all powerful HR hitters, there is always going to be questions about whether or not they used performance enhancing drugs. If you wanted to, you could just go down the list and say that all of the top home run leaders used steroids. Im only going to knock off the guys who have been proven to have used steroids. A-Rod and Bonds are known users. Based on your logic, is everyone guilty then?

Hank Aaron? Babe Ruth? Willie Mays? Ken Griffey Jr?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygambler View Post
I live near Charleston so maybe I can go and see a big name for once!
Do it! He wont be there much longer