Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Topps Redemption Question

I've read all the complaints and horror stories on here. I'm just returning to the hobby after quite a few years and my questions are:

How long does it take Topps to send the card?

How do you know if the card was ever made? I busted some boxes of 2012 A&G, those cards should have been made by now right?

When do you know to ask for a replacement?

Thanks in advance
Ksmithwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unless its something for your Personal Collection I'd just sell it. Completely up to you, but from my experiences that's what i would recommend. Your gonna wait at least a year. At LEAST a year. I've been waiting on one for well over a year and I know that players signed, but every time i call they say it shouldn't be much longer and just to call back in another month and check again. Of course their just hoping you don't have the patience to sit through being on hold forever again.

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/jbrandonw/library/?sort=3&page=1
jbrandonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmithwick View Post
I've read all the complaints and horror stories on here. I'm just returning to the hobby after quite a few years and my questions are:

How long does it take Topps to send the card?
There is no time frame.
How do you know if the card was ever made? I busted some boxes of 2012 A&G, those cards should have been made by now right?
Again, no time frame. Depends on Player, Topps and whether or not they have even made the cards that need to be signed.
When do you know to ask for a replacement?
Unless it's high end redemption don't bother redeeming it. Sell it.
Thanks in advance
Answers in bold.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a card from last year's Triple Threads. It's a Carlos Gonzalez Triple Patch Auto #/3. I had the option early in the year (February) to get an exchange, but I knew Topps would send me a card worth like $15. I know Cargo is a great player and he would bounce back (which he is having a great season), but I still feel like Topps will send a $15 replacement.
hist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I love how still some people thing its up to the players when a redemption gets done, like topps is just sitting outside the locker room with a stack of cards waiting everyday.

The delays are COMPLETELY topps fault. 1) THEY are the ones making the promise to get autgoraph cards out, not the players. Ball players get paid to play baseball, not sign cards. Topps is making promises they can't keep 2) Topps must not only have the cards made, which in some cases NEVER get done, but also have a rep there to witness signings. This all takes planning, and again topps hasn't been good at this.
3) Topps knows it is easier to wait out customers on most redemptions and just replace with something else, chances are something is over priced in beckett. Its a win win situation for topps.
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post
I love how still some people thing its up to the players when a redemption gets done, like topps is just sitting outside the locker room with a stack of cards waiting everyday.

The delays are COMPLETELY topps fault. 1) THEY are the ones making the promise to get autgoraph cards out, not the players. Ball players get paid to play baseball, not sign cards. Topps is making promises they can't keep 2) Topps must not only have the cards made, which in some cases NEVER get done, but also have a rep there to witness signings. This all takes planning, and again topps hasn't been good at this.
3) Topps knows it is easier to wait out customers on most redemptions and just replace with something else, chances are something is over priced in beckett. Its a win win situation for topps.
I'll take "This person has no idea what they are talking about" for $1000 Alex

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I'm actually getting tired of his continual griping. Seems as though he is always throwing a tantrum about anything Topps related.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

How long will it take- 3 months to 3 years (if ever)
Was the card made- some never get made
Replacement- Prepare the Vaseline

The redemption/replacement issue is probably the key reason I am departing the hobby after 40+ years.
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

just sell the redemptions. I used to buy a ton of them, the really cheap guys that were $1-$5, because I figured I would get a MINT card back and it's fun getting packages in the mail and not exactly knowing what they are - like opening a pack and occasionally, a guy who was garbage 6 months earlier is a stud and shows up in my mailbox.

Now, I sell anything over $10, because there is a 50% chance I won't get what was promised or it will take 2 years and still not get what I was due or get it back with no penny sleeve or dinged.

Redemptions used to kinda suck, now they are in a way, ruining part of the hobby - they are so frustrating to so many customers - I can only imagine how much the customer service people hate them!
cyndeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
The problem is I DO know what I am talking about, the rest of the hobby is clueless, that is why topps is still in business. The truth hurts folks, wise up would you? Topps is laughing all the way to the bank. When will you all say enough is enough? Topps IS NOT going to fix this problem unless collectors
stop throwing their money at them for these fake IOU's.

You have two options folks. 1) Hold your money and demand that topps stop making promises they can't keep. or

2) Continue to feed topps and give up your right to bitch about getting screwed on redemptions.

I get sick of people complaining about redemptions yet they blindly throw their money into products which contain redemptions that we all know will never get filled.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post
The problem is I DO know what I am talking about, the rest of the hobby is clueless, that is why topps is still in business. The truth hurts folks, wise up would you? Topps is laughing all the way to the bank. When will you all say enough is enough? Topps IS NOT going to fix this problem unless collectors
stop throwing their money at them for these fake IOU's.

You have two options folks. 1) Hold your money and demand that topps stop making promises they can't keep. or

2) Continue to feed topps and give up your right to bitch about getting screwed on redemptions.

I get sick of people complaining about redemptions yet they blindly throw their money into products which contain redemptions that we all know will never get filled.
Mmmkay. NONE of us buy from Topps. We buy from places like BO and our local card shops. See where I'm going here? THEY purchase the products in advance. And rely on US to buy the product so they (BO and card shops) can pay off their dealer accounts. What happens when we no longer buy Topps products? Places like BO and Card shops LOSE money. Is that what you are suggesting?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

If I could piggyback on this topic as I also recently returned to the hobby. A month or so ago I redeemed a 2012 Bowman Platinum James Paxton auto relic refractor before knowing about the plight of Paxton redemptions. How long can I wait before I could ask Topps for a replacement? Would I be able to call this week and ask for one or am I expected to wait longer before I can request a replacement?
Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Mmmkay. NONE of us buy from Topps. We buy from places like BO and our local card shops. See where I'm going here? THEY purchase the products in advance. And rely on US to buy the product so they (BO and card shops) can pay off their dealer accounts. What happens when we no longer buy Topps products? Places like BO and Card shops LOSE money. Is that what you are suggesting?
good man. You are part of the minority here- smart collectors who will pay a few bucks extra to make sure a product is what it is supposed to be. My main beef is guys who buy tons of cases presell and then are disappointed when topps does the old bait and switch. Now while I believe that buying ANY wax from topps, either through BO or a shop is supporting topps, you have shown that you prefer to be well informed before you sink money into it. I am not saying that all topps products are bad, they do make some beautiful cards, but the redemption thing has GOT TO CHANGE.

If we all made a stand topps would notice, but too many are ill-informed.

Bored.....topps makes you wait from the time you redeem NOT from the time the product has been out. Good Luck!

Kevin