Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Should Arod be banned for life if he admits to doping scandal?
Yes 86 55.48%
No 69 44.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should Arod be banned for life?

I just don't have any respect for the guy. First he lies about taking steroids and when he gets backed into a corner and the evidence comes out, he finally admits it. Now he is linked to another PED scandal and from what I hear is weighing his options on whether to admit it or not, depending on what would be more beneficial for his situation. This guy is a disgrace to the game and should be banned for life in my opinion. In the meantime, he is getting paid over $20 million a year despite what is going on.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I agree with you. I find it funny how a guy can be banned from baseball for betting on it but somebody who is legitimately cheating and potentially changing the outcome of a game isn't, but that's a conversation for another day. I don't like A-Rod and I never will.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsfan33 View Post
I agree with you. I find it funny how a guy can be banned from baseball for betting on it but somebody who is legitimately cheating and potentially changing the outcome of a game isn't, but that's a conversation for another day. I don't like A-Rod and I never will.
I think the conversation is relevant. You're right, how many games could have turned out differently if he didn't cheat? Maybe the yanks don't get a ring in 2009, without that juiced bat in the middle of their lineup.
Think of how many minor leaguers that choose to be clean never get that chance because the folks in the majors are dirty. And how do they get punished for using? Let's give them monster contracts. He should have to pay back every penny he earned while on the juice, which I am sure is a whole lot more than what he is admitting to.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've never liked Rodriguez and disliked him even more when he went to the Yankees. However, unless he fails a test, or admits it, I hope his ban is around the zero games mark.
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
I've never liked Rodriguez and disliked him even more when he went to the Yankees. However, unless he fails a test, or admits it, I hope his ban is around the zero games mark.
why would you say this? What is your reason? I'm not trying to sound mad or anything btw, jw.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
If he is found linked to this company(which he has), would you trust his word that he didn't use PEDs? His credibility is gone since he's lied about it in the past.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

No. There are rules already in place for a lifetime ban. Why have them if we're going to be subjective and not cookie-cutter?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ryan Braun is just as bad..how many times can he get caught
Trimarchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

A lifetime ban is a little harsh, but I say go for it. Only way to start getting people's attention. The current system is obviously not working. Either allow all legal PEDs in the game, or ban them and ban people who use them. No need for the middle ground. It just causes confusion and grey area.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

A lifetime ban....he's only got maybe one or two years left anyway.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Here we go again with PED talk that will never get us anywhere.

No he should not be banned for life.

Has he lied? Sure. Has he cheated? Sure. Has the majority of baseball lied and cheated? Probably.

There has always been lying and cheating going on in baseball. Are they going to start banning everyone for life?
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
he's only got maybe one or two years left anyway.
I wonder if he will ever play again regardless of this. Should be interesting to watch at the very least.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

his career is pretty much over anyway. just let it go.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

I hate arod ever sense high school he's been a cocky little punk. I also find it funny sense they started testing more it seems that he spends a lot of time on the dl......he's also getting old so benefit of the doubt but still.... If you get caught a 2nd time you should be severly punished..... ....I think just me talking tho but I think in arods case they should be allowed to void his contract when he test positive and should also have to pay some sort of major fine. And no major is not $50,0000
Zach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
Here we go again with PED talk that will never get us anywhere.

No he should not be banned for life.

Has he lied? Sure. Has he cheated? Sure. Has the majority of baseball lied and cheated? Probably.

There has always been lying and cheating going on in baseball. Are they going to start banning everyone for life?
I'm going to go ahead and call myself an idiot. I completely forgot that a 3rd PED offense constitutes a lifetime ban. If this is considered his 3rd then yes he should be banned for life. But I believe it's only his second correct?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

From what I have read, he wants to play one more game before he gets suspended so he can retire and still get paid. So a ban would really mean nothing, his career is already over.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

I understand your anger but why take it out on one player when practically everyone in the league at that time was doing the same thing? (not exactly everyone but you get the point)
Please Note: I do all a majority of my transactions through COMC. This DOES NOT mean you need a COMC account to buy my card. You can still buy it directly through COMC using PAYPAL but we will need to agree on a price here because you can only buy it for the price I have it listed at on COMC. Just PM me and we can negotiate a price. Thanks
Looking to trade/buy 2011 Topps Marquee Museum Collection Gold Frame Autos /10
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
I'm going to go ahead and call myself an idiot. I completely forgot that a 3rd PED offense constitutes a lifetime ban. If this is considered his 3rd then yes he should be banned for life. But I believe it's only his second correct?
I think it is his second, but you've got to be some kind of stupid if you've continued using after your big scandal got exposed the first time. It tells me that he knows he can't play at a high level without cheating. He certainly needs to be held accountable, no one is bigger than the game. I know you say that most people are cheating, but it doesn't mean we don't hold them accountable when they get got, just my opinion. I'm really not sure why 3 chances are even allowed. It's like saying you're allowed two murders with minimal punishment, but on the third, you're going to jail for life. That tells me that even MLB knows that players can't stay away from PEDs, kinda sad.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Why is everyone on Arod's case? He's never failed a test. People seem to forget about the guys like Benito Santiago, Wally Joyner, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, et. al. that have admitted to using as well. Where is the "outrage" for these players? Why is he the scapegoat when there are numerous suspension each year for failed tests?
phizeta564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizeta564 View Post
Why is everyone on Arod's case? He's never failed a test.
LOL, this is hilarious. I guess his admission means nothing as long as he does not test postive. I have murdered 11 people, but if you don't find them I have done nothing wrong.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I understand your anger but why take it out on one player when practically everyone in the league at that time was doing the same thing? (not exactly everyone but you get the point)
I agree with you but the agreement between MLB and the players association is a 3 strike policy with the strikes being 50 game, 100 game, lifetime. So they kind of have to go by that.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Why is everyone on Arod's case? He's never failed a test. People seem to forget about the guys like Benito Santiago, Wally Joyner, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, et. al. that have admitted to using as well. Where is the "outrage" for these players? Why is he the scapegoat when there are numerous suspension each year for failed tests?
Because in everyone's eyes here, using PEDs in baseball is like committing an act of terrorism.

Anyway I voted no. There are already rules in place for lifetime banishment. You can't twist and turn those rules just because you happen to have it out for one player.
On an unrelated note, I think Manny Ramirez is one suspension away from lifetime banishment.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
LOL, this is hilarious. I guess his admission means nothing as long as he does not test postive. I have murdered 11 people, but if you don't find them I have done nothing wrong.
I believe if you would have used the entire post and not just part of it, you would have seen the larger point being made: He is not the only one to admit using but seems to be the only one catching flak for it while others who admitted to using seem to be getting a free pass
phizeta564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
I believe if you would have used the entire post and not just part of it, you would have seen the larger point being made: He is not the only one to admit using but seems to be the only one catching flak for it while others who admitted to using seem to be getting a free pass
Well he has been implicated once again, and he's the biggest name on the list, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he's getting the most flak. That said, as far as I'm concerned, this is his first offence (if proven) as MLB basically gave an amnesty to all those who'd cheated before the current CBA. Similar applies to Braun (Brewers fan for full disclosure) who may have failed a test but, as he was ultimately acquitted, is also a first-time offender imo. It is different for the Colons and Grandals as they have already served a 50 game ban. Even then, this may not constitute a separate offence.
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
The reason I ignored the rest of the post is because you only mentioned retired players (minus a washed up Giambi). It is hard to suspend them if they are not playing.