Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #51 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to davebo

I'd say all companies have done it before.
davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradyBunch12 View Post
I was just looking at the Ted Williams patches on ebay and they just don't look right. I've never seen any vintage jersey released in a product have that look to it. Could be wrong, but none of this smells right.
The Ted Williams jerseys could be from an Old Timers game, thus "Game Used".
D3A3L3E3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #53 (permalink)

Why are people just now starting to question the authenticity of these jerseys? Did it never cross your mind before that when they are all white swatches they can come from any jersey or any player? Come on. You just take their word for it? I don't believe it at all. But hey, what we don't know won't hurt us right? Just because it says it comes from a certain game you believe them 100%? You guys put a lot of trust in someone trying to make a dime off of you. This is a shady business and has been for awhile.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Come on Wheels. You can rip UD and Dick without mentioning SKs.

I have to go but I'm predicting when I log back in late tonight there will be almost 1,000 views to this thread which is currently under 400.

1100 and counting Bam
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:

I have to go but I'm predicting when I log back in late tonight there will be almost 1,000 views to this thread which is currently under 400.
Over 1100 views .....you've exceed expectations

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #56 (permalink)

i HAVE SAID FOR YEARS THAT I DON'T TRUST ANY OF THE COMPANYS AND THEIR GAME CARDS.

SEVERAL YEARS AGO PACIFIC GOT CAUGHT USING FAKE BAT PIECES AND MANNY RAMIREZ WAS ONE OF THE BIG PLAYERS THEY WERE USING BACK THEN.

HAVING SAID THAT, I DO BELIEVE THAT UD HAS BEEN THE WORSE OFFENDER AND DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING THEY SAY OR PRODUCE.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post
1100 and counting Bam
ha I was typing as you were posting B

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
1100 and counting Bam
Quote:
Over 1100 views .....you've exceed expectations
LMAO Posted at the same time
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebo View Post
I'd say all companies have done it before.
You might be right. Only a few know for sure I suppose. In any case, I hope it all comes out eventually.

Quote:
Why are people just now starting to question the authenticity of these jerseys? Did it never cross your mind before that when they are all white swatches they can come from any jersey or any player? Come on. You just take their word for it? I don't believe it at all. But hey, what we don't know won't hurt us right? Just because it says it comes from a certain game you believe them 100%? You guys put a lot of trust in someone trying to make a dime off of you. This is a shady business and has been for awhile.
Perhaps it's because people aren't afraid of pointing out the truth anymore or the ridicule that comes along with it.

Not everyone is out to cheat others. It's okay to "want" to trust someone. It's also okay to believe in someone or something until you are proven wrong about them.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #60 (permalink)

I agree with what you say Matt. My biggest problem with all of this is that when you start digging more and more, you aren't in this for the enjoyment of the hobby. Evryone should just enjoy it and not get so up in arms about it. That's what this hobby is about. If not, then people are wasting their time worrying about the authenticity of game used jerseys. Spend that time worrying about more important things in life.

I't's like going to a Brittany Spears concert and she lip syncs. Did you enjoy the show she put on? If so, who cares if she lip syncs. Enjoy it. Don't always break it down to find a flaw. It's a waste of time.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with what you say Matt. My biggest problem with all of this is that when you start digging more and more, you aren't in this for the enjoyment of the hobby. Evryone should just enjoy it and not get so up in arms about it. That's what this hobby is about. If not, then people are wasting their time worrying about the authenticity of game used jerseys. Spend that time worrying about more important things in life.

I't's like going to a Brittany Spears concert and she lip syncs. Did you enjoy the show she put on? If so, who cares if she lip syncs. Enjoy it. Don't always break it down to find a flaw. It's a waste of time.
I completely disagree with this 100%. If I enjoy my job, I don't want to get paid with counterfeit U.S. currency. I want the real thing. When I buy cards, game-used or not, I want them to be real without question.

I think people need to dig into this topic more and more until these companies do things right. We are the end-users. They should feel the need to make what we want. We need to take a stand, and the hobby will be a LOT more enjoyable. At least that's how I see it.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't have any in front of me at the moment, but it is not uncommon to have the player pictured in one uniform and have the jersey piece come from another team he played on. I've seen it many times.
This works on products when a player is traded or signs with a different team mid-production. It doesn't work when a player has been retired for 23 years. I know it's not the first time it has been, but it doesn't excuse the fact that it's just lazy and detracts from the design of the card since it breaks concept continuity. As a collector, I'd rather have a card of a Mud Hen player with a Mud Hen jersey relic. Likewise, a White Sox card shouldn't have a Mets relic...it's just fundamentally wrong. Imagine a Johnny Damon Red Sox card with a Yankees relic...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I completely disagree with this 100%. If I enjoy my job, I don't want to get paid with counterfeit U.S. currency. I want the real thing. When I buy cards, game-used or not, I want them to be real without question.

I think people need to dig into this topic more and more until these companies do things right. We are the end-users. They should feel the need to make what we want. We need to take a stand, and the hobby will be a LOT more enjoyable. At least that's how I see it.
I agree with Wheeler here, this is no poor mans hobby any more. Serious collectors realize that it can take a big chunk of your salary to stick with it. I work dam hard for my money and I want to know what I'm getting when I fork over about 5% of my income each year. If these companies are deceiving their customers, they should burn just like any company caught cheating the market on wallstreet.......oh wait, I guess they can do whatever they want.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:34 AM   #64 (permalink)

This is not my point at all. My point is that the hobby itself has gone too far. If you guys need to worry about this stuff it takes the fun right out of it. I don't think it should have ever gotten to this point where people are paying $500-$1,000 for a piece of cardboard with part of a jersey on it. It makes no sense to me, but hey I'll keep taking your 5%.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0747 View Post
oh crap...here we go
yep.....exactly.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
This is not my point at all. My point is that the hobby itself has gone too far. If you guys need to worry about this stuff it takes the fun right out of it. I don't think it should have ever gotten to this point where people are paying $500-$1,000 for a piece of cardboard with part of a jersey on it. It makes no sense to me, but hey I'll keep taking your 5%.
Why shouldn't it go this far? Every other hobby in the world does. You can choose how much you want to put into it. I choose about 5%. But it pisses me off when they could get my 5% running an honest buiseness, but they choose to try and steal it. I love the patch cards, low numbered inserts, and rare items. It wouldn't be the same without them. I'll pay decent money for a Twins card with a piece of Mauers patch inserted into it, I think it's great. But if they are fake........screw em all.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
I wasn't the first to mention SK. SK was bashed in this thread. If you read the whole thing, you would have seen that I mentioned SK "in defense", as is what I will do from now on over here.

Honestly, I can't believe people want to bash SK and continue to buy upper deck. Talk about a joke. LOL

True, you did not bring up SK. My question is.....why do you still feel the need to defend it, especially after the forum conversations over the past couple of weeks? We all know how you feel about the product, and you know how many of us feel about it. Let's agree on that and move on. That's it.......period. I've only read the first 3 1/2 pages of this thread but am wiling to bet the conversation goes on and on about the same stuff.

I know, I know you did not bring it up and there are others talking about it, but, IMO, you are the only person on here who can single-handedly put an end to the SK bickering (even if all the bickering is not your fault). If someone puts down SK just ignore them and LET IT GO! It's likely that the sole purpose of their teasing is just to get under your skin. IMO until you do let it go, much of your life will be spent on here defending SK (which is fine if thats what you want to do and it makes you happy). I'm not judging, just stating opinion and asking the one question that popped in my head.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Well you're not very good at getting your point across then. Perhaps you should put more thought into your posts. And in reference to your last sentence, that sounds like somthing an upper deck employee/owner would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
Why shouldn't it go this far? Every other hobby in the world does. You can choose how much you want to put into it. I choose about 5%. But it pisses me off when they could get my 5% running an honest buiseness, but they choose to try and steal it. I love the patch cards, low numbered inserts, and rare items. It wouldn't be the same without them. I'll pay decent money for a Twins card with a piece of Mauers patch inserted into it, I think it's great. But if they are fake........screw em all.
I agree 100%, and I think everything about this post is common sense.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:

Instead of beating this to death here in a forum where it will do no good. Why not do something about it Matt. Start an online petition and make your point heard and count for something.

You're doing a great job at beating the sh!t out of Upper Deck here, but it will get you absolutely no where. If you have such disdain for them, do something, don't just talk about it.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskaaron View Post
True, you did not bring up SK. My question is.....why do you still feel the need to defend it, especially after the forum conversations over the past couple of weeks? We all know how you feel about the product, and you know how many of us feel about it. Let's agree on that and move on. That's it.......period. I've only read the first 3 1/2 pages of this thread but am wiling to bet the conversation goes on and on about the same stuff.

I know, I know you did not bring it up and there are others talking about it, but, IMO, you are the only person on here who can single-handedly put an end to the SK bickering (even if all the bickering is not your fault). If someone puts down SK just ignore them and LET IT GO! It's likely that the sole purpose of their teasing is just to get under your skin. IMO until you do let it go, much of your life will be spent on here defending SK (which is fine if thats what you want to do and it makes you happy). I'm not judging, just stating opinion and asking the one question that popped in my head.
To answer your question...Simply because people attack it. I'll move on when others move on. If people don't want to see me defend SK, then stop attacking it with ridiculous posts. I don't mind common sense attacks that are warranted. In fact, I want to learn how people truly feel. But to say ridiculous things that simply aren't true will lead to me setting the record straight.

I sincerely appreciate your post. Most people in online forums when attacked back down and either move on or simply disappear. I'm going to be different. I'm not going to give in to attackers. I have said it before, and I'll say it again...I won't discuss SK unless someone else brings it up. Bringing an end to the discussion will need to be a group effort, and hopefully that can be respected.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Instead of beating this to death here in a forum where it will do no good. Why not do something about it Matt. Start an online petition and make your point heard and count for something.

You're doing a great job at beating the sh!t out of Upper Deck here, but it will get you absolutely no where. If you have such disdain for them, do something, don't just talk about it.
Thanks Marino. I am doing something about it. This forum is read by a lot of people, and those people are starting to see what upper deck is truly about. This is a good characteristic of online forums...spreading the word, whatever that may be and educating members.

Attacking upper deck is warranted. They have brought it upon themselves. Attacking members for their opinions is rarely if ever warranted. Disagreeing is always fine and should be expressed in order to hear both sides of the story. I was hoping upper deck would change their ways after the whole Konami deal, but instead, they trun right around and fraud the MLB. I don't think there's any end to what lengths upper deck will go to in order to cheat someone, (end result being collectors), to make a buck, let alone millions and millions of them.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Marino. I am doing something about it. This forum is read by a lot of people, and those people are starting to see what upper deck is truly about. This is a good characteristic of online forums...spreading the word, whatever that may be and educating members.

Attacking upper deck is warranted. They have brought it upon themselves. Attacking members for their opinions is rarely if ever warranted. Disagreeing is always fine and should be expressed in order to hear both sides of the story. I was hoping upper deck would change their ways after the whole Konami deal, but instead, they trun right around and fraud the MLB. I don't think there's any end to what lengths upper deck will go to in order to cheat someone, (end result being collectors), to make a buck, let alone millions and millions of them.
No problem Matt. I agree it has brought quite a bit of attention to the under handed actions of Upper Deck to collectors here on the forum. Actually doing something about it is what has to be done. Apparently Dick has quite the ego and a God complex and feels he can do no wrong. At some point his money, lawyers and luck will run out.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #73 (permalink)

Upper Deck has been about this for 10-15 years. It's really nothing new. So who is starting to just now see what it is all about?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #74 (permalink)

All these posts about people hating this about cards or hating that about cards yet its the same people on here day after day still spending money on them.

Remember only 10 days ago there was a thread about how NT was garbage and how all the autos are gonna be bubbled and this product has no value blah blah blah ? Now its pretty much been the rip of the week on this board with a whole lot of it being cracked and people loving the product.

Everyone should treat this hobby is like dating a smoking hot girl that is high maintenance, enjoy it while you can and when it becomes too expensive, annoying and no longer fun, then move along. Makes no sense to keep whining about something that you choose to keep around.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
No problem Matt. I agree it has brought quite a bit of attention to the under handed actions of Upper Deck to collectors here on the forum. Actually doing something about it is what has to be done. Apparently Dick has quite the ego and a God complex and feels he can do no wrong. At some point his money, lawyers and luck will run out.
I agree and think more is being done than we know.

It wasn't 10-15 years ago when they lost all those major licensing agreements. It wasn't 10-15 years ago that they lost a large, multi-million dollar lawsuit to Konami. They may have treated MLB wrong in the past, but probably never as blatantly as they did this month. People are starting to do something about upper deck.

(I say most of this in reference to the post below).

Quote:
Upper Deck has been about this for 10-15 years. It's really nothing new. So who is starting to just now see what it is all about?
Lots and lots of new collectors. That's who.

I would imagine the blood line of upper deck is starting to realize they are backing a company destined for the bottom of the ocean. Their ship is sinking. Can they repair it fast enough or are the holes too big?