Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp3fan18261 View Post
No, but those are Yu-Gi-Oh! cards... I mean Sports Cards
Why, does it matter? Is it okay if I counterfeit the Canadian dollar and not the U.S. dollar?

I hope they have never counterfeited sports cards, but if they are going to blatantly counterfeit non-sports cards, and it has been testified that they had future plans of counterfeiting, I wouldn't trust them at all from this point forward. People talk about them reprinting exact copies of the 1989 upper deck Griffey cards several years after 1989. I hope it's not true, but I could definitely see them doing it, and it's so unfortunate.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #127 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron

could I please get my bug card that I pulled from the Goodwin box before they are closed down? Then again, I might end up with a fake bug in the card. Maybe I should request a replacement ..
Old 01-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Why, does it matter? Is it okay if I counterfeit the Canadian dollar and not the U.S. dollar?

I hope they have never counterfeited sports cards, but if they are going to blatantly counterfeit non-sports cards, and it has been testified that they had future plans of counterfeiting, I wouldn't trust them at all from this point forward. People talk about them reprinting exact copies of the 1989 upper deck Griffey cards several years after 1989. I hope it's not true, but I could definitely see them doing it, and it's so unfortunate.
Yea, your right...
cp3fan18261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #129 (permalink)

UD counterfeiting..... topps putting stadiums seats in their product... whats next? we are being held hostage....
danmecum51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #130 (permalink)

Well....interesting....Williams retired in 1960...when MLB jerseys still used wool applique logos and single-row stitching. This piece, at best, is from an early '80s jersey and it looks more consistent with jerseys from current-era Majestic as opposed to '70's-'90 supplier, Rawlings. I'd be interested to see what the back of the card says in regard to the jersey piece. This is why I shake my head. WTF.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #131 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
However, if people aren't willing to post those thoughts for all to see, I don't think they should be mentioned.
Wheeler. You made me aware that SK existed but guess why i dont collect it or never bought a SK card.

You have valid opinions and facts. But your "style" aint "cool" and many people that lurk probably dont collect SK because what you think helps SK is actually hurting SK.

Sometimes just be normal. Enjoy life.

Maybe if nothing is said of SK, i would seriously look in to what SK is about.

Wheeler, if you put this much effort in fighting for world peace and justice, this world would be a better place. Put SK in the back burner and use your relentless effort of promoting SK into a world peace campaign Then you would really solving problems that everyone could agree upon. <---- Serious.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #132 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMmedia View Post
Well....interesting....Williams retired in 1960...when MLB jerseys still used wool applique logos and single-row stitching. This piece, at best, is from an early '80s jersey and it looks more consistent with jerseys from current-era Majestic as opposed to '70's-'90 supplier, Rawlings. I'd be interested to see what the back of the card says in regard to the jersey piece. This is why I shake my head. WTF.

Did you read the fine print on the back of the card? It says "used by lil John, ted's official water boy".
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #133 (permalink)

Upperdeck is a bunch of aholes. They've owed me an Octograph Ultimate Basketball redemption for over 5 years........NEVER sent anything, completely screwed me out of a $4k+ card.......They truly are aholes, and I hope the company goes belly up.
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm almost positive this is from a Washington Senator jersey. However, I believe you are correct with the stitching. I'm gonng do some digging myself.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
Wheeler. You made me aware that SK existed but guess why i dont collect it or never bought a SK card.

You have valid opinions and facts. But your "style" aint "cool" and many people that lurk probably dont collect SK because what you think helps SK is actually hurting SK.

Wheeler, if you put this much effort in fighting for world peace and justice, this world would be a better place. Put SK in the back burner and use your relentless effort of promoting SK into a world peace campaign Then you would really solving problems that everyone could agree upon. <---- Serious.
If your so sick of him bringing it up, why did you have fire another shot over his bow? SK hasn't been brought up for a full page now in this thread. It was just starting to get back on topic. This could be a very informative thread about UD practices and authenticity of cards, just give it a rest!!
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!

Last edited by stumpfreeman; 02-01-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: correction
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #136 (permalink)

At the very least, the patches aren't game-worn..which is nothing new in the industry. However, in a premium product such as Ultimate, should we be "O.K." with that? I don't think so.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #137 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Knowing UD that could be the jersey Williams wore during the '99 AS Game at Fenway ...
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
At the very least, the patches aren't game-worn..which is nothing new in the industry. However, in a premium product such as Ultimate, should we be "O.K." with that? I don't think so.
I agree 100%. Just curious where ut came from also.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #139 (permalink)

UD using old timer jersey is nothing new. I opened a UD product many years ago and got a Joe D. pinstripe jersey piece. The jersey piece (not wool)was from an old-timers appearence even though it stated game used on the back of the card.

Ying and Yang my friends, Ying and Yang.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Knowing UD that could be the jersey Williams wore during the '99 AS Game at Fenway ...
And that fits the stitching method used.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #141 (permalink)

wow, look at what I started! Do I get a gold statue for this being my first post?? I just got my new password and left it at my store all wekeend. I used to post on some other boards alot but anyway, I agree with the people that say we need two companies that will keep each other honest. I think its interesting that two of the best BB products the past 2 years have been released after the companies lost their license(Ultimate and Prime Cuts). I just got paid $500 for a game used card out of Ultimate that was numbered to 35! I had 7 offers in 2 hours, none lower than $300...Thats pretty strong. Oh and I believe SK comes out about $200 bucks higher per box than it's worth, haha.
champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
To answer your question...Simply because people attack it. I'll move on when others move on. If people don't want to see me defend SK, then stop attacking it with ridiculous posts. I don't mind common sense attacks that are warranted. In fact, I want to learn how people truly feel. But to say ridiculous things that simply aren't true will lead to me setting the record straight.

I sincerely appreciate your post. Most people in online forums when attacked back down and either move on or simply disappear. I'm going to be different. I'm not going to give in to attackers. I have said it before, and I'll say it again...I won't discuss SK unless someone else brings it up. Bringing an end to the discussion will need to be a group effort, and hopefully that can be respected.
One thing is for sure...nobody can ever question your passion for SK. I very much enjoy the time I spend on the hobby and my collection but I don't think I would care enough to reply time and time again to others bashing my favorite cards or my favorite part of the hobby. I might reply once or twice with a sentence or two but I would leave it at that. Especially the senseless bashers who are obviously at it just to get under someones skin. IMO, this does not make me any less passionate about my hobby. Now, I do care enough to reply time and time again when sharing opinions and reasonalbly discussing a topic.

When dealing with attackers, I feel it can come to a point when "giving in" to attackers means responding again and again......playing into their hand like that is exactly what they wanted.

Even with personal attacks. Anyone can say anything in a forum. It's very easy to send persoanl attacks when there is no face to face confrontation. Any coward can do it. For this reason these types of attacks would mean absolutely nothing to me. People in general act a little different in person than on a forum.

Earlier in life I might have felt differently but now, I dont look at it as "backing down." Life is just much to short to waste on sending insults (either personal or hobby realted) back and forth over the internet.

I have a different outlook on life since I became a husband.....and especially a father.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #143 (permalink)

Dont sweat it he only does this until he sells them off, its his MO. Last time we heard how insane razor oval office was until he sold his boxes days later not to utter a word again on their greatness. The phrase loyal like a stockbroker comes to mind. Anyone remember the constant Razor praise? "these boxes will be worth sooooo much money cause they are so nice you will see guys, I will defend these to the end". The end apparently was when he sold them.

Maybe if UD brought him out to dinner he would talk about how they are the nicest cards in the world in every topic. Facts are this if they where so nice and relevant stores would carry them without having to special order them. But they dont.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #144 (permalink)

I like how every time we get back on topic, someone has to derail the thread and return to the SK/Wheeler/blah-blah-blah "controversy"....
Old 02-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
I'm almost positive this is from a Washington Senator jersey. However, I believe you are correct with the stitching. I'm gonng do some digging myself.
This is more than likely an event used jersey piece not game used. Teddy probably wore it for 30 minutes.... Still a nice piece
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
I like how every time we get back on topic, someone has to derail the thread and return to the SK/Wheeler/blah-blah-blah "controversy"....
Sorry.....this was the first chance I had to reply in some time now.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #147 (permalink)

Dollar for Dollar, I think this Ultimate is the best release in a very looooonnng time.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskaaron View Post
One thing is for sure...nobody can ever question your passion for SK. I very much enjoy the time I spend on the hobby and my collection but I don't think I would care enough to reply time and time again to others bashing my favorite cards or my favorite part of the hobby. I might reply once or twice with a sentence or two but I would leave it at that. Especially the senseless bashers who are obviously at it just to get under someones skin. IMO, this does not make me any less passionate about my hobby. Now, I do care enough to reply time and time again when sharing opinions and reasonalbly discussing a topic.

When dealing with attackers, I feel it can come to a point when "giving in" to attackers means responding again and again......playing into their hand like that is exactly what they wanted.

Even with personal attacks. Anyone can say anything in a forum. It's very easy to send persoanl attacks when there is no face to face confrontation. Any coward can do it. For this reason these types of attacks would mean absolutely nothing to me. People in general act a little different in person than on a forum.

Earlier in life I might have felt differently but now, I dont look at it as "backing down." Life is just much to short to waste on sending insults (either personal or hobby realted) back and forth over the internet.

I have a different outlook on life since I became a husband.....and especially a father.
I would like to sincerely thank both of you for these posts. I appreciate them both...well written and points taken.

Now, back to the original purpose of this thread:

People are bringing up some very interesting points about exactly what these cards are and where they came from. There is absolutely no question these cards are worth a LOT more if they were "game-used" as apposed to "event-worn". I'm starting to wonder if people are way over-paying for both individual cards and sealed packs, boxes, and cases.

Keep digging fellow members. Let's shed some light on this dishonesty, if that is in fact what's going on here. Collectors, (WE), deserve to know the truth!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #149 (permalink)

Default UD vs Topps vs Donruss

I think the idea of an selling and exclusive license to 1 manufacturer was a terrible idea by MLB, and came at an even worse time for the hobby. I realize there was an overabundance of product a few years ago. Why not put in the licensing agreements that use of MLB logos etc is for say 6 sets per year? In the last month, we have had way too many sets thrust on an ever shrinking collector base. Bowman Sterling, Topps Sterling, Tribute, Ultimate, National Treasures, Chicle, BDPP, 2010 Topps, 2010 UD. I spend 200-400 per week on boxes. I am taking a break to figure out what I want to collect.

Topps is the company that needs to be taken to task. Tribute, TTT, and Sterling are all very similar products. Relics with low numbering, sticker autos, high end. Why not just make Triple Threads and one more high end product later in the year? Instead, we have the same players, same relics, same auto's crammed down our throats. Topps DOES NOT use authentic pieces either. Seat relics in Tribute is one example. They have been doing this for years.

Ultimate is the best product to arrive in a long time Everyone is happy with it. Let them keep selling it, maybe Topps could take a lesson from it.

Non high end Topps products are cheap, loaded with bad and unecessary inserts (turkey red, own the game, legends of the game, topps town - on an on), thin cards, and are generally unsatisfying. I actually liked the 206 product. Now there are no bids on ebay for these cards that came out only a few months ago. We didn't even have time to digest Unique before that was left in the dust.

Ginter anyone? Goodwin? Legendary Cuts? Anyone? These are less than a year old! No bids.
evancole44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #150 (permalink)

I'm feeling less and less interested in the industry each day, so many negative things brought about by the card companies themselves, sigh

I'm definitely considering going into a much simpler line of collecting or set building to avoid as much stupid as possible.