Blowout Cards Forums
Re-Pack Attack

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Hey there, thanks for the response. My Sox list is less a list of the top ten and more a list of my favorite... Hence the Pedroia focus. I have a Pudge RC so I was tempted, but I wanted a decent mix of contemporary players. Always fun to watch PC guys actually play, you know?

That Tribute Pedro is the card I want. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for it... Unless you want to move yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Love this idea. I'm a Red Sox collector myself and I'm always thinking of my top ten. My list would be similar but I do think Lester might be a stretch for a top 10 Red Sox for me over Lynn or Fisk. Here might be an idea for Pedro if you decide to go with an auto if you could track one down . I got this one out of a box break and its one of my favorite cards now.

Good luck with your quest!
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

Excellent list, I noticed you put the 52 Topps Mantle on your list. The 52 Topps Mantle is the iconic card, however the 1951 Bowman Mantle is his true rookie and in PSA 3 would net you in the $2000-$2500 range. 1952 Topps in PSA 1 sell for more then that. I applaud your efforts and look forward to your coming pickups and posts.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsdude24 View Post
Excellent list, I noticed you put the 52 Topps Mantle on your list. The 52 Topps Mantle is the iconic card, however the 1951 Bowman Mantle is his true rookie and in PSA 3 would net you in the $2000-$2500 range. 1952 Topps in PSA 1 sell for more then that. I applaud your efforts and look forward to your coming pickups and posts.
Thanks. Yeah, I weighed that one in my head... Like the Mays. In the end I figured I would do one 51 Bowman and one 52 Topps. The Mantle is just the holy grail for a lot of people, so why not chase it? Plus I love the look of the 51 Bowman Mays.

It might be ten years from now, but I'll get a copy some day. I might track the 51 as well and see if I can spot a deal on it. Either one would certainly be a worthy addition to anyone's collection
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

Picked this up from COMC recently... $142.50. Probably overpaid, but I have no idea. I don't see them come up for sale very often and Pedro has very few autos in a Red Sox uniform. Nice, clean bold signature on a card whose design I actually like. Numbered 52/100. I think this will replace the Great Falls PSA 10.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Nice card! Love the design
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies347 View Post
Nice card! Love the design
Thank you. I like it too. Considering sending it to PSA so it fits with the others in the collection, but it has dinged corners. Not sure if an 8 would really hurt the value, or if it would be worth it to protect it and have it fit with the rest of the collection.

I also updated the main collection post on page 1.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #32 (permalink)

I personally have a different take on collecting / life in general. It is great to set goals and such, but I would recommend taking it all as it comes. I have never been happy with just keeping a card, and don't really look for a specific card to have because I have found that the journey is more fun than the end result.

The benefit of doing this is finding joy / interest in things you would have never thought about. On my desk, I have 4 cards proudly on display:

- Brock Lesnar Sweet Spot Classics rookie
- Just Minors Lance Berkman in a sumo outfit
- Ultra Strike Out Kings Nolan Ryan
- Greg Maddux 2002 Diamond Kings

Aside from the Lesnar, the others can be probably had for under $10. They just caught my eye, and I love looking at them. In another day, week or month, I'll probably be tired of their mugs, and swap them out with 4 other cards.

Anyway, your cards would be smooooth to own and good luck on your quest!
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
MOVED OVER FROM THE VINTAGE SECTION
I am continually in some state of unhappiness with my collection. Sometimes I have too many cards and I sell them or give them away. Sometimes I go on buying sprees for singles. Most of the time I buy tons of wax, lose 60% of the money, sell the good cards and buy Dustin Pedroia autos.
Maybe you need a breather from cards in general. Your project proposal is admirable for sure, but how many of us are chasing the "perfect collection" that doesn't actually exist. Will those 25 cards provide you with the hobby happiness you're searching for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post

I have the same problem as you - I am constantly changing my collection focus, buying, selling, and repeat. Flip flopping from vintage, to prospects, to stars/HOF autos, 90's inserts, and back again.

We shall see how long this keeps my interest
Isn't this baseball card collecting in a nutshell? I've never found the process of collecting to be linear. I see a collection as a living, breathing organism that is evolving(or devolving if I'm in selling mode).
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyno View Post
Maybe you need a breather from cards in general. Your project proposal is admirable for sure, but how many of us are chasing the "perfect collection" that doesn't actually exist. Will those 25 cards provide you with the hobby happiness you're searching for?
This is essentially that... trying to take a breather from building prospect collections, flipping, etc. Really just trying to focus on 25 cards/guys to take my mind off everything else. I'm sure this goal will change before I reach the end. I'm not sure "hobby happiness" will ever really exist for me, though I do really like this new Pedro card.

I guess I know the joy is in the process, I just want to have some aim for the process. I like building spreadsheets with card prices and trying to find a deal. I like sharing my collection on here. There are a lot of things I like. I always come back to Red Sox and PSA vintage at the end of the day. Given that I feel a little listless with my collection, I figured it was worth a shot to refocus.

Plus this collection will be bad#@#@#@ some day
Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
I personally have a different take on collecting / life in general. It is great to set goals and such, but I would recommend taking it all as it comes. I have never been happy with just keeping a card, and don't really look for a specific card to have because I have found that the journey is more fun than the end result.
The journey is definitely more fun than the end result. I just spend so much time going in different directions that I generally end up with very little to show for it at the end of the day. I constantly wonder what I could actually accomplish if I focused my efforts on one goal. I'm still going to look for deals on these cards, and share my collecting on here, etc. Some day I am going to give it up, for sure, and at the point it would be nice to have a collection I am proud of to pass down (or sell to pay for college).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
The benefit of doing this is finding joy / interest in things you would have never thought about. On my desk, I have 4 cards proudly on display:

- Brock Lesnar Sweet Spot Classics rookie
- Just Minors Lance Berkman in a sumo outfit
- Ultra Strike Out Kings Nolan Ryan
- Greg Maddux 2002 Diamond Kings

Aside from the Lesnar, the others can be probably had for under $10. They just caught my eye, and I love looking at them. In another day, week or month, I'll probably be tired of their mugs, and swap them out with 4 other cards.

Anyway, your cards would be smooooth to own and good luck on your quest!
On my desk at work I have a picture of my wife and kids, a 3D cutout of Fenway Park, a Tim Wakefield Master Photo from 1993 Stadium Club and an autographed 5x7 of Oil Can Boyd.

That is the great thing about this hobby... so many different directions for each of us to go in.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess I know the joy is in the process, I just want to have some aim for the process. I like building spreadsheets with card prices and trying to find a deal. I like sharing my collection on here. There are a lot of things I like. I always come back to Red Sox and PSA vintage at the end of the day. Given that I feel a little listless with my collection, I figured it was worth a shot to refocus.

Plus this collection will be bad#@#@#@ some day
I feel like having the awareness of what you DO like about collecting is half the battle. Only one licensed company produces cards, but there are so many possibilities for deriving the focus of a PC.

The frustrating thing for me is liking almost everything: vintage, bowman prospecting, autos and relics, minis and jumbos, busting wax and a few random retail packs, no value Oriole inserts to super high-end bat knobs etc.

I find the paradox with opening hobby boxes is that I know that 90% of the boxes I open will be duds, but strictly buying single cards online isn't as fun as finding random inserts I like in packs, even though the financial loss is significant.

Sometimes I hate Topps for screwing us, but my LCS has pretty much run out of Upper Deck stuff to open. Overall this is a strange hobby IMHO, but weeding out the stuff I know I hate makes it much more fun.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I feel like having the awareness of what you DO like about collecting is half the battle. Only one licensed company produces cards, but there are so many possibilities for deriving the focus of a PC.

The frustrating thing for me is liking almost everything: vintage, bowman prospecting, autos and relics, minis and jumbos, busting wax and a few random retail packs, no value Oriole inserts to super high-end bat knobs etc.

I find the paradox with opening hobby boxes is that I know that 90% of the boxes I open will be duds, but strictly buying single cards online isn't as fun as finding random inserts I like in packs, even though the financial loss is significant.

Sometimes I hate Topps for screwing us, but my LCS has pretty much run out of Upper Deck stuff to open. Overall this is a strange hobby IMHO, but weeding out the stuff I know I hate makes it much more fun.
I LOVE wax as well. That is part of my problem. I always think, if I had spent even half of what I have on wax on quality singles... MAN, I would have a nice collection today.

At the end of the day, I will be happy doing just about anything with cards. I am going to dump money into it like I always have. At least with this focus, if I need to, I should be able to liquidate at somewhere near the amount I put in. And with two kids, that is a likely outcome at some point.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

Do you buy slots in casebreaks? I've always been interested in doing that as a way of fulfilling my urges to open boxes, but have never pulled the trigger since im not totally clear on the whole deal.

I wish I knew a bunch of local people around my age that liked to open wax. An in person casebreak would really appeal to me.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you buy slots in casebreaks? I've always been interested in doing that as a way of fulfilling my urges to open boxes, but have never pulled the trigger since im not totally clear on the whole deal.

I wish I knew a bunch of local people around my age that liked to open wax. An in person casebreak would really appeal to me.
Yes, I do. I am a member in a group break club that just had our first break. It is good fun, and a way to break wax without breaking the bank.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #40 (permalink)

Back from PSA...

I think I paid like $200 for this when I was 15. I would not make the same purchase today

In comparison I could probably get a 7 for $200. And soon I will do just that.

Oh, and I haven't been able to make any progress because life has demanded my money. But I have patience.

Last edited by phabphour20; 08-28-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #41 (permalink)

Got this addition in today... 2005 UD AL Artifacts Signatures David Ortiz relic auto... nice clean on-card auto with a design I like. And it is numbered 1/30.

I was frustrated with the condition. The seller taped it in a penny sleeve BETWEEN two toploaders. I think he didn't have a thicker toploader. Anyway, since he only taped two sides it slid out and the bottom corners suffered because of it. I still love the card, but this did not have to happen.

Should have another nice addition in tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #42 (permalink)

Default My PC

I have been a Dodgerfan since 1974 hence my name for this site Dodgerfan74. I have been collecting cards on and off since that same year. My dad brought home packs of 1974 baseball cards for my sister and I. I attended games with my family and grew up with "The Infield"-Garvey,Lopes, Cey, and Russell. I attended my first world series with my dad in 1988-Game 2 Hershiser pitched. When I grew to be older I started appreciating the history of the Dodgers and where they orginally came from. That is why I collect the following way;

My PC consist of Dodger cards and memoribilia-including books and autographed pictures of Dodgers.

I collect in Tiers;
Tier I Is my Main focus. I collect HOF autos, gameused, rookie cards, and star cards of Brooklyn and LA Dodgers.
Ex. At the high end. I have a Sandy Koufax auto numbered /10 and a couple of Jackie Robinson gameused cards.
At the mid/lower end I have a Roy Campanella gameused and a 1962 card of Sandy Koufax.

Tier 2 I collect Steve Garvey cards and memoribilia-including HOFer's and Ron Cey, Dave Lopes, Bill Russell.

Tier 3 1988 World Champions- Orel Hershiser and Kirk Gibson

Tier 4 1981 World Champions cards and memoribilia

Tier 5 Sandy Koufax, Jackie Robinson insert cards

Tier 6 Clayton Kershaw cards-favorite current player and wears my favorite number-22
Dodgerfan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Picked this up from COMC recently... $142.50. Probably overpaid, but I have no idea. I don't see them come up for sale very often and Pedro has very few autos in a Red Sox uniform. Nice, clean bold signature on a card whose design I actually like. Numbered 52/100. I think this will replace the Great Falls PSA 10.

Just re read this thread, I still love this card! The design, its awesome looking!
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerfan74 View Post
I have been a Dodgerfan since 1974 hence my name for this site Dodgerfan74. I have been collecting cards on and off since that same year. My dad brought home packs of 1974 baseball cards for my sister and I. I attended games with my family and grew up with "The Infield"-Garvey,Lopes, Cey, and Russell. I attended my first world series with my dad in 1988-Game 2 Hershiser pitched. When I grew to be older I started appreciating the history of the Dodgers and where they orginally came from. That is why I collect the following way;

My PC consist of Dodger cards and memoribilia-including books and autographed pictures of Dodgers.

I collect in Tiers;
Tier I Is my Main focus. I collect HOF autos, gameused, rookie cards, and star cards of Brooklyn and LA Dodgers.
Ex. At the high end. I have a Sandy Koufax auto numbered /10 and a couple of Jackie Robinson gameused cards.
At the mid/lower end I have a Roy Campanella gameused and a 1962 card of Sandy Koufax.

Tier 2 I collect Steve Garvey cards and memoribilia-including HOFer's and Ron Cey, Dave Lopes, Bill Russell.

Tier 3 1988 World Champions- Orel Hershiser and Kirk Gibson

Tier 4 1981 World Champions cards and memoribilia

Tier 5 Sandy Koufax, Jackie Robinson insert cards

Tier 6 Clayton Kershaw cards-favorite current player and wears my favorite number-22
I like it. I am trying to be a bit more focused than that for my collection. I hate how much space it used to take up in my house. Now everything fits nicely in a corner of my sock drawer.

I used to have a 1956 Topps Dodgers Team card in a PSA 8. Loved that card... that '55 team was the bee's knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies347 View Post
Just re read this thread, I still love this card! The design, its awesome looking!
I agree completely. Loved the design. I had a decision to make with Pedro... RCs in PSA 10 (I have several from many years ago) or an auto. I liked the Tribute and Museum stuff from the last year or two, but to me, it feels more authentic to have his auto in a Red Sox uni from a year when he actually pitched with the Sox. I saw this one and it made my decision for me.

I actually saw one sell on eBay fairly recently for $150 so it turns out I didn't overpay after all. That makes me extra happy about it.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #45 (permalink)

Awesome idea OP.

I know I have been struggling with my collection. I like to rip wax and I like to build sets but I am really questioning why I need three base sets of Topps every year and then I look at all the duplicates I have of Ginter and Heritage from building those sets primarily through ripping wax.

I rarely sell anything and I think that may be part of my problem. I need to find an outlet for my base but also for the so called 'hits' that are not of players I follow. And on the occasion where I find myself with money in my Paypal account, I am overwhelmed by all the cards that are out there.

I think you have inspired me to box up some of my hits and inserts and send them off to COMC. Then I just need to find an outlet for the hundreds of base that I have beyond my sets.
mainerunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
Awesome idea OP.

I know I have been struggling with my collection. I like to rip wax and I like to build sets but I am really questioning why I need three base sets of Topps every year and then I look at all the duplicates I have of Ginter and Heritage from building those sets primarily through ripping wax.

I rarely sell anything and I think that may be part of my problem. I need to find an outlet for my base but also for the so called 'hits' that are not of players I follow. And on the occasion where I find myself with money in my Paypal account, I am overwhelmed by all the cards that are out there.

I think you have inspired me to box up some of my hits and inserts and send them off to COMC. Then I just need to find an outlet for the hundreds of base that I have beyond my sets.
I recently gave away thousands and thousands of base (a lot was higher end too) to someone on these boards who was local. I also made a few 660 boxes of Red Sox cards for a couple of 10 year old boys in my neighborhood. They were FIRED UP to say the least.

I recommend going through it to look for RCs that have slipped through... for me this meant finding a few Buster Poseys I could get $5 a piece for and about a dozen Mike Trout RCs from 2011 Chrome and Draft. Then just give it away. Be done with it. It is rather freeing, really.

Now when I buy wax, which is less frequent, I make myself do something with every card immediately. Usually the big hits go on eBay, smaller hits and parallels with some value go to COMC. Most base I honestly just put in a box to give away. And this has meant I have bought a lot less wax.

I put several grand into my Pedroia collection which I recently disgorged. Guess what? I got several grand back for it! I cannot validate spending large amounts of money on wax anymore. It is so much fun, but too darn wasteful. I ask for boxes for my birthday and Christmas from my wife. That keeps me satisfied for a while.

But finding good deals on singles, that just feels like a win-win.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck.

Last edited by phabphour20; 09-05-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #47 (permalink)

Added this guy for what I felt was a reasonable price of $450.

The Rocket was, with Wade Boggs, one of my two heroes growing up. I would have gotten this card a long time ago if he hadn't turned out to be such a miserable human being.

The '83 Topps Boggs in a 10 is probably next when I can find one for a decent price. I have time and patience on my side.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #48 (permalink)

So... not sure if any of you do the same thing, but I list several of my PC items on eBay at any given time. They all have BINs that would give me a nice profit if someone hit them.

So someone did... off eBay actually, which is nice... saved me a few bucks and he got a discount.

I sold the 2004 SP Prospects Pedroia auto BGS 9.5/10. This makes me happy for a few reasons. I bought it for $200, so with a $240 off eBay price, I'll clear about $30 after fees and shipping. Not a huge haul, but I wasn't that happy with my entry point... I think these can be had for $175-180 if one is patient.

Secondly, I am not that into BGS stuff for my PC. I'd take a PSA 10 RC auto over this any day. I just prefer the slabs and labels.

So I will be looking to replace this with a PSA graded RC Auto... either the SP, EEE or the Fleer Hot Prospects. They all have their pluses and minuses to me.

I love having this small collection that is like a living, changing organism. Things come in and go out. I never overpay and take profit when it is available and I feel I can replace the card. I like the idea of upgrading individual cards and trying to keep the collection the same size.

I also love the idea of being able to liquidate this thing reasonably quickly for at least what I paid for it. That is comforting.

I'm having fun.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #49 (permalink)

If you're a Red Sox guy, I'll offer you what I did...

I collect Toronto Blue Jays cards from the 1992 and 1993 World Series teams. It took me a little over 10 years to complete but I now have a RC, Auto and Jersey of each player on the team who has one. Most are pictured in their Jays unis and I upgrade or replace as new ones come out. You have the 2004 and 2007 Red Sox teams to aim for.

Do show the cards you add as you move forward. This will be a very cool thread by the end.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
If you're a Red Sox guy, I'll offer you what I did...

I collect Toronto Blue Jays cards from the 1992 and 1993 World Series teams. It took me a little over 10 years to complete but I now have a RC, Auto and Jersey of each player on the team who has one. Most are pictured in their Jays unis and I upgrade or replace as new ones come out. You have the 2004 and 2007 Red Sox teams to aim for.

Do show the cards you add as you move forward. This will be a very cool thread by the end.
That is a pretty cool idea. I like the guys from '04 and '07. '04 was the best sports experience of my life as I'm sure most Sox fans would say. That being said, I still feel more urge to collect the guys that have been Red Sox for a long time and been a part of my summers since I was a kid. Sometimes it works out for the '04 and '07 guys... Ortiz, Pedro, etc.

Maybe if I get bored of this that will be the next thing to try.