Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #51 (permalink)

Mail day... a couple small additions...

1973 Topps Dwight Evans RC in a crisp PSA 7. Paid $29.99 with free shipping.

1983 Topps Wade Boggs RC in PSA 9. Got it for $26.75 DLVD.

Both of these will be upgraded over time. The Dewey I just really wanted and the Boggs I think I got a great price on.

I am also looking to sell the Lester BGS 9.5 refractor if anyone out there is interested. I have a located a PSA replacement and need to move the BGS.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #52 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

You picked up a great Al Bumbry RC!
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyno View Post
You picked up a great Al Bumbry RC!
Similar to how I was forced to get a Magic Johnson RC when I got my Larry Legend.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #54 (permalink)

You should throw in your all-time favorite Red Sox manager...
TheAntiCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiCard View Post
Bobby Valentine has a Red Sox card?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiCard View Post
Grady Little? I kid...

It'd probably be Tito, but manager cards have never been my thing.

I think for the time being I need to keep this to 25 cards. Pretty soon I'd like to get started on the all-time greats part, but money issues are keeping that from happening at the moment. The Sox cards are generally a hair cheaper.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #57 (permalink)

Nice idea, should make a nice collection. I"m actually in the process of doing something very similiar and will start my own thread when I get enough. With the exception of my Chicago cards(all teams), I'm working on HOF Rookie collection, and ditching almost everything else.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
Nice idea, should make a nice collection. I"m actually in the process of doing something very similiar and will start my own thread when I get enough. With the exception of my Chicago cards(all teams), I'm working on HOF Rookie collection, and ditching almost everything else.
I find the focused approach to be freeing actually. It seems counter-intuitive, but the ability to ignore 99% of the stuff out there really makes me enjoy this much more.

The HOF RC collection idea is great, and ambitious. I view this as something I will do for a long time. There is an almost infinite amount of upgrading I can do here... trying to get the all-time greats in higher and higher grades. The same can be said for your collection but to an even higher degree.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #59 (permalink)

A couple of additions and another sale to report...

Got this in today:

A PSA 7 to replace my PSA 3. Cost me $177.50 which I thought was a very fair price.

Also acquired a 2006 Chrome Jon Lester Blue Refractor Auto in a PSA 9. This is to replace my Refractor auto 9.5/10. I don't like BGS slabs, and I wanted a blue, so this worked out. Cost me $70. Now I need to move the 9.5.

And finally, I sold the '83 Boggs PSA 9 for $38 plus shipping. I have no doubts that I can find another one for $25 or less if I am patient. Which I am.

Again... so much fun to be focused, look for deals, and be willing to part with any card I think I can replace for a price that makes me a decent profit.

I am going to be digging into the HOF stuff soon, but the prices are high and it takes longer to find that diamond in the rough.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #60 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I like this idea.

I too get bored way too often with what I end up throwing in a box never to see again. I recently got back two items from PSA/DNA (both authentic), and may start sending out TTMs to long shot guys to see if they'll sign. If so, then I will then send to PSA for authentication, and then into my collection.

At most, I'm out a $1 if the card is never returned, at best, my PSA/DNA collection will start to bud, and I'll finally have a collection I'm proud of.
tajikey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
I like this idea.

I too get bored way too often with what I end up throwing in a box never to see again. I recently got back two items from PSA/DNA (both authentic), and may start sending out TTMs to long shot guys to see if they'll sign. If so, then I will then send to PSA for authentication, and then into my collection.

At most, I'm out a $1 if the card is never returned, at best, my PSA/DNA collection will start to bud, and I'll finally have a collection I'm proud of.
I think that is a great idea. A bunch of PSA/DNA slabs of guys you like... that would make for a great collection.

I love the fact that I can be so focused on what I am looking for. I am mindful of price, which is sort of new for me. And I get to watch the collection evolve. There is also something really nice about knowing every single card I have and exactly where it is.