Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My New Collection Idea...

MOVED OVER FROM THE VINTAGE SECTION

I am continually in some state of unhappiness with my collection. Sometimes I have too many cards and I sell them or give them away. Sometimes I go on buying sprees for singles. Most of the time I buy tons of wax, lose 60% of the money, sell the good cards and buy Dustin Pedroia autos.

I need a new direction. I have always liked vintage, particularly PSA graded vintage. I have bought and sold Ted Williams PSA cards over the past 5 years to some great success. But then I always get antsy and sell again.

I want to build a collection that is big enough to be fun, small enough to know every card in my head, and should retain its value over time. I was thinking 25 cards, broken down as follows:

5 Dustin Pedroia Autos. I have about 35 now, will need to pick some winners and sell the rest.

10 different cards from other Red Sox favorite players... '60 Yaz RC, Pedro RC, 1983 Topps Boggs, Nomar '92 Traded Gold, '75 Rice RC, 1948 Leaf Ted Williams (my favorite card ever), '39 Play Ball Teddy, etc.

And then, and here is why I posted in the vintage section originally...

1 card each from these ten players:

Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Ty Cobb
Mickey Mantle
Jackie Robinson
Roberto Clemente
Sandy Koufax
Stan Musial
Satchel Paige
Babe Ruth - maybe.

I want to try and get the best card I can for each of these players. Eventually, before I die, I'd like to have these be the most iconic or RC cards from each of these players in a pretty solid PSA grade. I'd like to start getting low graded cards or even raw, and when I have extra money, work my way up.

What do you guys think? Good plan? What are the most iconic cards for these guys? Is it always basically the RC... like '55 Clemente and Koufax, '52 Mantle are pretty obvious... and the Aaron RC. What would you go for with Ruth, Mays, Robinson, Paige?

Thanks for the read. I can't wait to get started... just need to flesh out the list completely.

HERE IT IS SO FAR:

Current Collection

A work in progress...

15 Red Sox

1. Wade Boggs 1983 Topps PSA 9 - SOLD. To be replaced...

2. Roger Clemens 1984 Fleer Update PSA 10

3. Jacoby Ellsbury 2005 Bowman Draft Chrome XFractor Auto PSA 10

4. Dwight Evans 1973 Topps PSA 7

5. Jon Lester 2006 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto PSA 9

6. Pedro Martinez 2001 Donruss Elite Passing the Torch Auto 52/100

7. David Ortiz 2005 UD Artifacts Signatures 1/30

8. Dustin Pedroia and Nomar Garciaparra 2013 Museum Collection Dual Auto

9. Dustin Pedroia 2012 Triple Threads Laser Show White Whale

10. Dustin Pedroia 2011 Triple Threads ROY/MVP 1/3

11. Dustin Pedroia 2012 Museum Collection Art of Hitting Framed Auto 2/5

12. Dustin Pedroia 2004 SP Prospects Auto BGS 9.5 - SOLD - To be replaced...

SOLD

13. Jim Rice 1975 Topps PSA 8

14. Ted Williams 1948 Leaf

15. Carl Yastrzemski 1960 Topps PSA 7

10 All-time Greats

1. Hank Aaron 1954 Topps

2. Roberto Clemente 1955 Topps

3. Ty Cobb T206 Red Portrait

4. Sandy Koufax 1955 Topps

5. Willie Mays 1951 Bowman

6. Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps

7. Stan Musial 1948 Leaf

8. Satchel Paige 1948 Leaf

9. Jackie Robinson 1948 Leaf

10. Babe Ruth 1933 Goudey

Last edited by phabphour20; 09-20-2013 at 12:20 PM.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great idea, make sure you post on this thread when you get something in I'd love to see it! Since you're a Red Sox fan you should consider getting a Johnny Pesky card in his Sox uniform too, personally I love the 1952 topps Johnny Pesky, it's a little pricy though. Either way, great idea
Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think it is an admirable mission if you are going for "Most Iconic" card of each of those 10. Be prepared to spend a huge amount of money. Graded PSA or SGC is the only real option for these in my opinion. Not necessarily for the condition assessment, but more importantly the authentication. More than likely this will be a long process both for the financial aspect and finding the "Right" cards. You will have to ask yourself if you are committed to it. Good Luck! And as the Chancellor says to Anakin in Star Wars...."And you, young phabphour20; we shall watch your career with great interest"
Hallco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good list. That is close to mine.

Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Mickey Mantle
Jackie Robinson (in possession and graded now)
Roberto Clemente
Sandy Koufax
Stan Musial
Roger Maris
Lou Gehrig
Bob Gibson

Good luck in your search!!
indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete7 View Post
Great idea, make sure you post on this thread when you get something in I'd love to see it! Since you're a Red Sox fan you should consider getting a Johnny Pesky card in his Sox uniform too, personally I love the 1952 topps Johnny Pesky, it's a little pricy though. Either way, great idea
Thanks. I am pretty excited. Pesky would be a good addition as one of The Teammates. The Little Professor too. Just need to be choosy to keep it to 25 cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallco View Post
I think it is an admirable mission if you are going for "Most Iconic" card of each of those 10. Be prepared to spend a huge amount of money. Graded PSA or SGC is the only real option for these in my opinion. Not necessarily for the condition assessment, but more importantly the authentication. More than likely this will be a long process both for the financial aspect and finding the "Right" cards. You will have to ask yourself if you are committed to it. Good Luck! And as the Chancellor says to Anakin in Star Wars...."And you, young phabphour20; we shall watch your career with great interest"
I am definitely going to go PSA all the way. I have a raw Yaz RC that I will send in. It won't grade well, but it will be a start.

Not sure if I'll ever be able to get a respectable Babe or Mick card, but we'll see. When I have extra money I'll try and get a key card or upgrade the existing ones.

Once I get myself organized I will update the OP with the final list and pics of what I have so far.

Thanks for the good luck wishes... I'll need it!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyguy View Post
Good list. That is close to mine.

Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Mickey Mantle
Jackie Robinson (in possession and graded now)
Roberto Clemente
Sandy Koufax
Stan Musial
Roger Maris
Lou Gehrig
Bob Gibson

Good luck in your search!!
You must be a Yankee fan to leave Teddy Ballgame off your list...

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Sounds like a fun, and insanely expensive project

I have the same problem as you - I am constantly changing my collection focus, buying, selling, and repeat. Flip flopping from vintage, to prospects, to stars/HOF autos, 90's inserts, and back again.

Over the past few months I have seriously considered just not collecting anything, because I can never decide.

Just recently I decided to embark on a larger project - basically a who's who of every MLB team - collecting all on card autos of the HOF players, as well as stars/iconic players or from each team. We shall see how long this keeps my interest

I would say with respect to your post, there are cards that are not necessarily rookie cards that are sometimes just as iconic, or at least just as nice for a much lesser cost.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post

I have the same problem as you - I am constantly changing my collection focus, buying, selling, and repeat. Flip flopping from vintage, to prospects, to stars/HOF autos, 90's inserts, and back again.

Over the past few months I have seriously considered just not collecting anything, because I can never decide.

Just recently I decided to embark on a larger project - basically a who's who of every MLB team - collecting all on card autos of the HOF players, as well as stars/iconic players or from each team. We shall see how long this keeps my interest

I would say with respect to your post, there are cards that are not necessarily rookie cards that are sometimes just as iconic, or at least just as nice for a much lesser cost.
Insanely expensive yea. But I'll start slow. I figure if I put most of the money I blow on wax into this, eventually I'll have some nice cards.

Your collection seems even more ambitious than mine. Certainly in terms of scope if not in terms of money. Hopefully you can stick with it and have some fun.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

OP, just out of curiosity, what Pedro are you planning on going with? I only ask because all of the others from that group are in Red Sox unis, while a Pedro rookie obviously would not.
gmarutiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarutiak View Post
OP, just out of curiosity, what Pedro are you planning on going with? I only ask because all of the others from that group are in Red Sox unis, while a Pedro rookie obviously would not.
Good question. I have a few 91 UD's in PSA 10 as well as a 1990 Great Falls PSA 10. But I might try and find a very high end autographed card in a Red Sox uni... Not sure if they even exist. Have to look into it.

Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post

This. I'm the same way right now...I blow money on boxes because I chose the worst PC player. Lol. I'm already on the verge of giving up collecting because I can't find anything else... sucks.
NoobCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
Good question. I have a few 91 UD's in PSA 10 as well as a 1990 Great Falls PSA 10. But I might try and find a very high end autographed card in a Red Sox uni... Not sure if they even exist. Have to look into it.

Thoughts?
It's odd (IMO), but I just did a quick eBay search, and all of Pedro's auto cards are either in a different uniform, or no logos-Leaf. I'm assuming when he goes into the HoF on the first ballot, it will be in a Sox cap.
gmarutiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarutiak View Post
It's odd (IMO), but I just did a quick eBay search, and all of Pedro's auto cards are either in a different uniform, or no logos-Leaf. I'm assuming when he goes into the HoF on the first ballot, it will be in a Sox cap.
I'd assume the same thing. I might end up using the 1990 Minor League card. Need to figure it out.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

A jersey/bat/relic card of each player would look great framed.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
I'd assume the same thing. I might end up using the 1990 Minor League card. Need to figure it out.
2013 Tribute autos are in RS uni.
WCTYSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
A jersey/bat/relic card of each player would look great framed.
I'm not really into relics unless they also have an auto. Some patches are cool but just not my thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
2013 Tribute autos are in RS uni.
Good call. I'm not sure if I'd prefer one of those over the PSA 10 RCs.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Pick your five best Pedroia autos or game used and then go slow on the vintage cards of iconic players. Second or third year cards of some players will be fairly inexpensive in collector grade so if you have a decent budget you can pick up 2 or 3 cards a year depending on what you decide on and who the player is. Even cards from 10+ years for certain players in PSA 6 or 7 are fairly affordable as well.
I PC Willie Mays and you can pick up some nice 60's PSA 7s for anywhere from $100 to $250 depending on the year. The same goes for Hank Aarons cards as well. You can also choose cards that have multiple Hall of Famers on them like the 60's league leader cards in high grade that have great combos like Mays and Aaron, Clemente, etc. If you have set goals it will be fun if you pick up at least a new card every month. I find if I do not pick up at least that one then I lose focus and start buying modern wax or single card autos on ebay that do not fit my PC.
The Red Sox have some really good players and HoFers and you can easily afford some of those cards in high grade from the 70's 80's and 90's. As long as you keep it fun and don't stray too far off task your collection will form right before your eyes in a few years. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsdude24 View Post
Pick your five best Pedroia autos or game used and then go slow on the vintage cards of iconic players. Second or third year cards of some players will be fairly inexpensive in collector grade so if you have a decent budget you can pick up 2 or 3 cards a year depending on what you decide on and who the player is. Even cards from 10+ years for certain players in PSA 6 or 7 are fairly affordable as well.
I PC Willie Mays and you can pick up some nice 60's PSA 7s for anywhere from $100 to $250 depending on the year. The same goes for Hank Aarons cards as well. You can also choose cards that have multiple Hall of Famers on them like the 60's league leader cards in high grade that have great combos like Mays and Aaron, Clemente, etc. If you have set goals it will be fun if you pick up at least a new card every month. I find if I do not pick up at least that one then I lose focus and start buying modern wax or single card autos on ebay that do not fit my PC.
The Red Sox have some really good players and HoFers and you can easily afford some of those cards in high grade from the 70's 80's and 90's. As long as you keep it fun and don't stray too far off task your collection will form right before your eyes in a few years. Good luck!
Thanks for the thought out reply.

I hear what you are saying about the later year cards, probably makes sense. However, I want to try to stick to the most iconic cards of these players. I'll have to move down the quality scale to start but then I'll look for incremental gains when possible. I may even have to rethink that altogether, we'll see.

Take the 1954 Hank Aaron. I can probably grab a PSA 3 for $400-500. When I get a little extra cash I can try and turn that into a 4 which are generally $600-700. Obviously this will be much more difficult and expensive for a 1952 Mantle and some of the others... Which I may never get. Should be fun to try though!

Your Red Sox point is spot on. I'm pretty excited to go after Boggs, Rice, Dewey, Pudge, etc. Will be nice to get 8s or even 9s right off the bat for some of these cards.

Now I just need to find some time away from work and my small children to put a list together.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Good luck on this project! Seems like fun! When you get ready to sell your pedroias I would gladly buy one or more for a buddy of mine.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Good luck on this project! Seems like fun! When you get ready to sell your pedroias I would gladly buy one or more for a buddy of mine.
Thanks!

Ok, we'll talk. It's not going to be easy to choose the keepers, but selling 25-30 of them should generate a decent chunk of change to start the rest of this collection.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

What is the more iconic Willie Mays? 1951 Bowman or 1952 Topps? I much prefer the looks of the '51 Bowman but '52 Topps is such an iconic set to begin with...
Old 07-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ok, this is what I'm thinking so far... Would love feedback. I'll update some point this weekend with what I have already... Mostly the Pedroia part.

15 Red Sox cards...
Lester -- 2006 Bowman Chrome auto
Pedroia - 5 autos to start, then maybe down to 4 to accommodate both Teddy's I want. One of these will be the Nomar dual if it ever gets made.
Pedro -- Red Sox auto? Have PSA 10 RCs... Not sure.
Ted Williams -- '48 Leaf, '39 Play Ball
Yaz -- 1960 Topps
Rice -- 1975 Topps
Dewey -- 1973 Topps
Boggs - 1983 Topps
Clemens -- 84 Fleer Update
Ortiz -- auto?
Ellsbury -- 2005 Bowman Draft Chrome auto

10 All-time greats...
Babe Ruth -- 33 Goudey eventually... Maybe 48 Leaf in the interim.
Hank Aaron -- 54 Topps
Willie Mays -- 1951 Bowman or 52 Topps?
Mickey Mantle -- 52 Topps
Sandy Koufax -- 55 Topps
Jackie Robinson -- 48 Leaf
Satchel Paige -- 48 Leaf
Stan Musial -- 48 Leaf or Bowman?
Ty Cobb -- T206 Red Portrait
Roberto Clemente -- 55 Topps

As you can probably guess my favorite vintage set is 1948 Leaf.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by phabphour20; 07-20-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

EDIT: Moved the current collection to the OP for people that just like looking at pictures...

Last edited by phabphour20; 08-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

Updated with pics of current pieces...
Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Love this idea. I'm a Red Sox collector myself and I'm always thinking of my top ten. My list would be similar but I do think Lester might be a stretch for a top 10 Red Sox for me over Lynn or Fisk. Here might be an idea for Pedro if you decide to go with an auto if you could track one down . I got this one out of a box break and its one of my favorite cards now.

Good luck with your quest!
scollins is offline   Reply With Quote