Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default A look inside the final 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter baseball card checklist

Check it out: A look inside the final 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter baseball card checklist

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor
From Axl Rose to Sandy Koufax, it looks like this year’s Allen & Ginter baseball card set from Topps will have a bit of everything for everyone when it arrives on Aug. 7.
Oh, and it’ll include Yasiel Puig, too.
Topps released the final checklist for the eighth edition of the product on Tuesday (click here to download a PDF or here for our updated preview story), so we’re taking a look at what can be found in this one soon.
A Puig of his own
As previously reported here, the Los Angeles Dodgers rookie will have a certified autograph in this one as well as a standard base card (not short-printed; above) along with mini parallels. He’ll be joined by 46 other MLB rookies, among them Shelby Miller, Manny Machado, Hyun-Jun Ryu and Abe Vigoda. Wait, isn’t Vigoda a bit too old for an RC? Scratch that … he’s in there — but not an RC.

Unusual base set inclusions
The 300-card base set includes plenty of baseball stars but as with past year’s of Ginter there are quite a few surprises. Here’s a rundown of a few cards …

– No. 6: Chanel Iman, model
– No. 17: Roy Jones Jr, boxer
– No. 21: Sumo wrestler Byamba
– No. 68: Chrissy Teigen, model
– No. 112: Ziggy Marley, musician
– No. 116: Lindsey Vonn, skier
– No. 117: Penny Marshall, director
– No. 130: Pele, soccer star
– No 136: The Panama Canal (yep, The Panama Canal)
– No. 140: Tommy Lee, musician
– No. 175: Monty Hall, game show host
– No. 176: Abe Vigoda, actor
– No. 188: Bill Buckner … listed as a Boston Red Sox player
– No. 217: Pope Francis I, Bishop of Rome
– No. 223: Matthew Berry, fantasy sports expert
– No. 231: Artie Lange, comedian
– No. 234: Death Valley (yep, the national park)
– No. 244: Nick Saban, Alanama football coach
– No. 255: Bobby Bowden, retired football coach
– No. 266: Henry Rollins, musician
– No. 267: Grand Central Terminal … really.
– No. 300: Bud Selig, MLB commissioner
Nearly all of the 50 short-prints in this one are of baseball players except for three individuals, who get two cards in the set. Rollins, golfer Jason Dufner and NBA star Bill Walton all have two cards in this one.

Among the autographs …
Not all autograph subjects in this one have base cards. Among the signers are musicians, including Guns N Roses frontman Axl Rose, Rollins, Lee and Marley. Also to be found in this one are high-wire walker Nik Wallenda, Saban, Pele, Marshall, Teigen, Saban, Vonn and Hall to name a few. Want baseball ink? Try Puig, Yu Darvish, Selig, Hank Aaron, Manny Machado, Mike Trout, Sandy Koufax, Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly and Yoenis Cespedes for starters. Box-loader autographs won’t be easy pulls as there are just 10 players, but it’s a lineup that includes Bob Gibson, Buster Posey, David Ortiz, Manny Machado, Mike Trout and Willie Mays.

Standard Relics of note …
For the first time, Babe Ruth has a Relic in Ginter that’s not a 1/1. Joining him are teammate Lou Gehrig and Hank Aaron among baseball luminaries, while St. Louis Cardinal John Jay oddly has two Relics in the set. Also on Relics are most of the non-sport inclusions in the basic set along with football reporter Chris Mortensen, actor Ed O’Neill, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, Miss USA Nana Meriwether, Miss Universe Olivia Culpo and many others. Several personalities have autos and Relics this year but are not in the basic set.

Need some DNA?
There are 11 DNA Relics listed on the checklist this year with five of them for Alexander Hamilton, who died in 1804. Also up for grabs one strand at a time? King Edward VIII, abolitionist John Brown and a pair of John F. Kennedy cards. Speaking of JFK, there’s a Grassy Knoll fence Relic among the Oddity Relics as well as a wedding menu from the Kim Kardashian wedding, an Obama inauguration ticket and a Wrigley Field brick Relic to chase.

Big hits
There are just five double bat knob Relic booklets to chase in this one … and two of the cards feature New York Yankees players. There are 13 double-patch booklet cards with 10 teams represented. Oversized box-loader Relics will include Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez among a lineup of current players, while a single Ted Williams cut signature card is also to be found.

Cut signatures
Making the cut this year are Topps executive Michael Eisner, Malcolm Forbes, Bill Clinton, Dwight Eisenhower, George W. Bush and John Grisham among others. Interestingly, a former Ginter signer — John Wooden (2006) — also is among the 20-card checklist which includes six former U.S. Presidents.

Get ripping …
New this year will be double rip cards with two sides to tear and a deep, deep list of standard rips as well. There are 100 standard rips and 100 doubles. Among the items inside? Original artwork of players — some of the notables here include Nolan Ryan, Trout, Bryce Harper, Derek Jeter, Roberto Clemente, Stan Musial, Willie Mays and Ted Williams to name a few — while there will be 50 mini exclusive cards to find, too. Among the big names there are Mariano Rivera, Williams, Ty Cobb, Harper, Clemente, Trout, Machado, Mays, Ruth, Musial, Ken Griffey Jr., Jeter and Koufax.

Signed Relics
There are just two small sets of auto Relics, but they are stout. Look for doubles including Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera, Ripken, Ryan, Darvish, Griffey, Reggie Jackson, Cespedes and more. Oversized boxloaders will include Bob Gibson, Dylan Bundy, Machado, Profar, Koufax and more.

Cosmic inclusions
For those of you wondering about those little corners of the universe, there’s the One Little Corner insert set where you can find a card for Earth, along with Mars, Pluto, Venus and so on … even Uranus and Makemake, too.

Curious inclusions
The Curious Cases inserts include some, well, curious cards. Area 51, The Illuminati, the assassination of JFK, the HAARP and even the “faked moon landings” conspiracy get their own cards along with the Denver Airport.

If you were wondering …
Among the 21 Wonders of the World boxloaders are cards for the Great Barrier Reef, the Golden Gate Bridge, Mount Everest and even the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Beckett News » Check it out: A look inside the final 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter baseball card checklist
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Chase card of the product.

Kim Kardashian wedding menu
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendrix1303 View Post

Anyone living in the NorthWest have a solid chance of hitting it
HeyFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I thought there was going to be a set of guitar picks? I dont see it on the checklist anymore!
Birdland4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wish I had $$$ to rip a case of this stuff; man that would be a blast to see what comes out of there. Seems fun!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I am officially moist.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

I want a Pele auto
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I am officially moist.
I'm really sorry I missed out on your group break of this stuff.....looks really cool
SORRY I DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR DC
dbaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaks View Post
I'm really sorry I missed out on your group break of this stuff.....looks really cool
Well I do have the Phillies in the 1st case but if I hit a Rip card with them I have to sell it and split the proceeds with the person I got the slot from.

You can have dibs on the rest!!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Well I do have the Phillies in the 1st case but if I hit a Rip card with them I have to sell it and split the proceeds with the person I got the slot from.

You can have dibs on the rest!!
Heck yeah....let me know what you pull and I'm a buyer on the Phillies stuff for sure
SORRY I DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR DC
dbaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wow. And some were worried that this would be an off year. Doesn't appear so IMO. Plenty of good chase cards, autos, and of course Puig's first official MLB rookie which should keep set prices high. Can't wait for my 3 cases!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

I am slightly disappointed with the autograph checklist. Sure there are some big names, but there are A TON of commons on the checklist, and if you are pulling only 5-6 autos per case, then this doesn't bring a whole lot of value to your rips. Axl Rose will certainly be a redemption. Have topps shown pictures of any real Peli autographs? Last years product was much better in my opinion.

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post
I am slightly disappointed with the autograph checklist. Sure there are some big names, but there are A TON of commons on the checklist, and if you are pulling only 5-6 autos per case, then this doesn't bring a whole lot of value to your rips. Axl Rose will certainly be a redemption. Have topps shown pictures of any real Peli autographs? Last years product was much better in my opinion.

Kevin
Actually, if you compare both checklists, I counted 26 commons in this year's auto checklist, compared to 25 commons in last year's checklist. So the same amount of commons.

Where the difference lies is in celebrity autos. 46 celebrity autos this year compared to 33 last year. So they took out 13 baseball "stars" and replaced with celebrity.

The question is whether or not the obscure celebrity autos will be popular, or if some of those too will look like commons in a few days.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

There gets to be a point when "celebrity" doesn't mean "celebrity". I think topps has crossed the line here. My opinion will be swayed when all of these autographs show up in packs live and not redemption. There are still unfilled ginter redemptions from 2011.

I do like the double rip cards this year.

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendrix1303 View Post

You kid (maybe?), but somebody will pay stupid money for that.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Love it. Have been waiting for this product for months.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

My friend and I are avid Ginter collectors. We both agree that this year is probably going to be one of the worse Ginter releases based on checklist and inserts. We used to view Ginter release as a holiday and took the entire day off and have fun ripping Ginter. Sadly to say it will not happen this year. He is going to continue to work on 2012, and I have been having fun and great luck with 2013 Goodwin. So Ginter for this year is not on my nor his list. Also, how can Ginter put Koufax and Willie Mays on the auto list when they still haven't filled the auto redemptions for them last year? C'mon Topps!
Eef979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eef979 View Post
My friend and I are avid Ginter collectors. We both agree that this year is probably going to be one of the worse Ginter releases based on checklist and inserts.
Pretty much reflects my thoughts. If you are a flipper and you are quick, of course there is still money to be made. This should be a great year for buyers the week after release.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
You kid (maybe?), but somebody will pay stupid money for that.
I do kid.. although my wife would probably love it.
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm a fan of the checklist and think this product will be relatively hot for the month of August. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Puig base, mini, and auto? My dodgers spot in a case break is looking awesome!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

I'm luke warm on the checklist or as my son would say 'weak sauce". That being said I have 3 cases coming so hoping for the best.
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Can someone explain the purpose of a double rip? There's only one card inside no matter what, right?
hychang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hychang5 View Post
Can someone explain the purpose of a double rip? There's only one card inside no matter what, right?
New this year: DOUBLE RIP CARDS!
These limited edition RIP cards can be ripped
on both sides! Numbered to 10. Inside, you’ll find
one of the above inserts or, available ONLY in

Double RIP cards:
One of a Kind 50 literally one-of-a-kind cards,
featuring firsts and unique items. There are
no parallels or other versions of these cards –
they are truly unique! Numbered 1/1.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

Never really been into Ginter but this years product seems pretty cool!