Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Your thought on GEM grading service?

I got a card that has been graded by GEM grading service. The card is 10 Gem Mint. To the eye the card looks excellent but i have heard bad things and some of the grading places give higher grades than others. Please let me know what u think or what u know with ur experiences?

My Bucket is
http://s569.photobucket.com/home/lovebrittneys
maggliofan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggliofan01 View Post
I got a card that has been graded by GEM grading service. The card is 10 Gem Mint. To the eye the card looks excellent but i have heard bad things and some of the grading places give higher grades than others. Please let me know what u think or what u know with ur experiences?
There was a thread earlier by blowout. Gem is a fake grading company designed to slab fake cards. The owner was arrested and is facing some serious charges.

I have a Gem card (Steve Young RC) that was buried in a small collection that I bought. The card is bogus as hell.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mine is a jersey card, not worth much anyway so cant see why they would fake it? So I should bust it out of the slab? By the was my card looks great SPX winning materials Arod/Ivan rodriquez/Gade Kapler
I dont think the card is fake it just books for 20

My Bucket is
Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

anyone else have opinions?

My Bucket is
Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggliofan01 View Post
anyone else have opinions?
GEM is a joke in the industry. They take away the value on the card.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Da Bronx! Home of the best baseball team ever. Yankees!!

GEM is fake. There is a guy on Ebay right now selling graded non company cards. He calls himself KingofCards and he calls his grading company KOC. Big scam going around with grading, just because Beckett is an honest grader as well as PSA and the greedy people all want GEM mint 10 grades on cards that are off center or chipped.

Go with the Best. BGS or PSA.
bronxbombers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I got a card a UD SPX that is slabbed by GEM, im understanding their not a good gradeing service but the card is in pretty good shape so would taking it out make it worth less? Should i leave it in the slab for protection?

My Bucket is
Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

After reading the above posts I'd say get that sucker out of the gem case and if you want it graded send it to Beckett.
JasonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

GEM is not a fake grading company, but its a joke of a grading company and they grade counterfeits all the time.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

A GEM case probably diminishes the cards value to any collectors who know anything about graded cards. If you're going to keep the card, consider the GEM case a fancy top loader and leave it be. If you're planning on selling the card, don't leave it in the GEM case because you'll probably get less for it in that case than if it is raw.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
GEM is not a fake grading company, but its a joke of a grading company and they grade counterfeits all the time.
Maybe bogus is more like it. There have been several stories on the internet as of late as to how a known criminal started GEM to slab his own fakes.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers09 View Post
GEM is fake. There is a guy on Ebay right now selling graded non company cards. He calls himself KingofCards and he calls his grading company KOC. Big scam going around with grading, just because Beckett is an honest grader as well as PSA and the greedy people all want GEM mint 10 grades on cards that are off center or chipped.

Go with the Best. BGS or PSA.
...and in some instances for vintage and pre-war cards, SGC has been the third viable alternative. A look at completed auctions of graded high end RCs should give you a clue as to what grading companies are respected.

Ed
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

This is what a traded card of real value should look like. In my eyes this card looked flawless, but I trust beckett to grade it appropriately. Here is a scan of a card which is worth now at least $1000. If this was a GEM graded card or a ?KOC? graded card it would been worth less than book value.

BTW: my scanner sucks, time for a new one.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here are some others that I use for grading cards. BCCG I don't use anymore, but this is a trusted sourse also by Beckett and PSA. I will probably get all my BCCG cards regraded with BGS.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhou1 View Post
...and in some instances for vintage and pre-war cards, SGC has been the third viable alternative. A look at completed auctions of graded high end RCs should give you a clue as to what grading companies are respected.

Ed
Yep you're right. SGC and BVG.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

I appriciate you guys and ur thoughts. So if I want to sale it I would be better off to take it out. And if I keep the card I will keep it in the case. I thought that maybe even if I were to sale it in the graded case that someone may want to keep it in there just for protection? But i guess it would cost a little more to ship because of weight.

Thamks also to Blowout for sending this on twitter maybe i will get more info about this company that way also

My Bucket is
Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've seen people mention fake cards being graded by GEM but I'd also like to add trimmed or restored cards. I learned the hard way on that one. Years ago I bought a couple cards really cheap, broke them out of GEM cases and sent them to BGS. They came back ungraded and marked trimmed. It was obvious that they were trimmed when I compared them to other cards. Just didn't think to look for that before I sent them to BGS.
muchotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

As others have said, GEM (or any other off-brand grading company) doesn't necessarily mean the card is fake or counterfeit, but it doesn't rule the possibility out like PSA/BGS would. Regardless of what these off-brand companies actually grade the card as (Mint Gem Mint Pristine, etc) treat them as if they are raw cards. Use your own judgment to say what the condition could be and/or if the card is genuine or not. If the card is staying in your own collection, and you think the condition is good enough (IE - You don't care about a professional graders opinion) and you believe the card is real (IE - Not a high dollar card or not a card that is typically counterfeited) then you may as well leave it in the case. But if you go to resell it, I'd remove it from the case and either sell it raw or get it graded by a reputable company first.

Also, while BCCG grading is a division of beckett, DO NOT treat those the same as BGS graded cards. A BCCG 10 is likely equal to a BGS 9, a BCCG 9 is likely equal to a BGS 8, etc. There is no such thing as a BCCG Gem Mint or Pristine grade. Its possible that a BCCG 10 card could regrade as a BGS 9.5 but HIGHLY unlikely. BCCG is a small step above companies like GEM because I don't believe they will slab counterfeit or altered cards, but grading wise you may as well treat BCCG cards like they are raw cards, just like you would treat a GEM graded card.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the help

My Bucket is