Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASEBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/)
-   -   Javier Baez vs Miguel Sano (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/571986-javier-baez-vs-miguel-sano.html)

rseve43 08-22-2013 07:17 PM

Javier Baez vs Miguel Sano

I find their card and prospect statuses to be eerily similar, so I thought this could be an interesting discussion. Who is the better prospect?

[B]Baez Credentials[/B]
Ht/Wt: 6'0" 195
Position - SS (Ultra-Premium if he sticks)
Team Ranking 2013 - 1st
Average Overall Ranking 2013 - 20th
Market (card value consideration): Chicago

2013 Stats - 119 G (76 A+/ 43 AA), .286 AVG, 33 Doubles, 4 Triples, 33 HR, 100 RBI, 38 BB, 132 K, 19 SB, 4 CS, .348 OBP, .581 SLG, .929 OPS

Argument for Baez - His numbers and plate discipline have improved since being promoted to AA. He provides an outstanding bat with serious power from the middle infield. The Cubs have a better market than the Twins (as far as cards).

Biggest Concern - Plate discipline and K rate still need to improve.

Looking Forward - He has dominated since promotion to AA, which makes him look like he's much closer to Major League ready than we may have thought at the beginning of 2013.

Average Card Sales
Chrome Base Auto - $52
Chrome Gold Refractor Auto - $450

[B]Sano Credentials[/B]
Ht/Wt: 6'3" 195
Position - 3B (Premium if he sticks)
Team Ranking 2013 - 1st
Average Overall Ranking 2013 - 12th
Market (card value consideration): Minneapolis

2013 Stats - 112 G (56 A+/ 56 AA), .286 AVG, 28 Doubles, 4 Triples, 31 HR, 94 RBI, 57 BB, 125 K, 10 SB, 3 CS, .382 OBP, .609 SLG, .991 OPS

Argument for Sano - He is about half a year younger than Baez. He reportedly has a good chance to stick at third base, which maximizes the value of his bat. There is nobody blocking him from the Major League job with the Twins; when he's ready, he will step right in.

Biggest Concern - Plate discipline and K rate could use some improvement, although he is already ahead of Baez in these departments. Needs to prove he can dominate AA.

Looking Forward - He mashed in High A before the promotion to AA slowed him down, but he's still very young for the league and should find his groove with more at bats in the upper levels of the Minors.

Average Card Sales
Chrome Base Auto - $65
Chrome Gold Refractor Auto - $600

CubKings 08-22-2013 07:20 PM

Javy! But I am a little "Baezed" and I don't know much on Sano.

sportzkid 08-22-2013 07:22 PM

Starlin Castro...Baez needs to learn a new position, even with the poor yr castro has had, he will be back next yr, just needs a fresh start. Sano I think had more long term potential, especially power.

Digicards44 08-22-2013 07:23 PM

Sano all day way more potential
Baez will never be in the spotlight with soler and almora

patientgambler 08-22-2013 07:27 PM

That's a nice breakdown there OP.

A couple of months ago, or maybe even just one month ago, I would've said Sano. Now I'm not so sure. You can cite small sample size all you want, but so far in 43 games at Double A Baez has already passed Sano's HR mark and is tied with him for XBH despite arriving a bit later than him. 30 XBH in 43 games as a 20 year old in Double A is kind of eye opening. Sano got real hot for a minute though too in Double A, but then cooled off pretty quickly. I wonder how much of Baez's performance is sustainable considering his strikeout rate and what exactly he is going to look like when he hits a rough stretch again.

It sounds like Sano has a chance to be a quality defender at third, but Baez could be that as well, while still offering a legitimate chance to play an adequate shortstop possibly. I think I would have to chose Baez at this point, and disagree with the rather pronounced price disparity.

Wolves4Life 08-22-2013 07:32 PM

Baez, Sano will be playing in ebbets field jr.

MarshallCutler6 08-22-2013 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=Digicards44;5569761]Sano all day way more potential
Baez will never be in the spotlight with soler and almora[/QUOTE]

:confused: he's their #1 prospect, I don't think he will have trouble finding the spotlight.

That being said, Baez has more pop by far, but sano is faster and a slicker fielder.

itsinusall 08-22-2013 07:39 PM

This is a tricky one to me. Baez I believe is the better prospect. Yet hobby wise, I would say Sano, cuz there is so few Chrome Auto's 9.5/10 when compared to Baez.
Current count is
Baez- 19 total 10/10 Auto Regular - Red yes 19 PRISTINE, 345 9.5/10 Reg - Red
Sano-28 total 9.5/10 Auto Regular - Red yet only one pristine Auto Gold Ref

So if Sano lives up to his potential the sky is the limit to me on those. Bigger market or not the ceiling on Baez has to be somewhat limited long term for 9.5 considering 10 are that common.

JohnnysBench 08-22-2013 08:06 PM

Due to Attitude, I'm going with Baez....

jcmel323 08-22-2013 08:09 PM

just tied the poll :devil::D

Twinsfan33 08-22-2013 08:14 PM

They are both Fantastic prospects. I think however that Sano is the better of the two. He hits for more Power and his defense has really improved this year so much that he will probably stick at 3rd. Baez is blocked by Castro where as Sano pretty much has "the keys to the kingdom (3rd base)" when he gets called up. I think both are awesome players but I would personally rather have Sano than Baez. But that's just me..

notsublime 08-22-2013 08:17 PM

Great post and info,
Sano!!!

MarshallCutler6 08-22-2013 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Twinsfan33;5570122]They are both Fantastic prospects. I think however that Sano is the better of the two. He hits for more Power and his defense has really improved this year so much that he will probably stick at 3rd. Baez is blocked by Castro where as Sano pretty much has "the keys to the kingdom (3rd base)" when he gets called up. I think both are awesome players but I would personally rather have Sano than Baez. But that's just me..[/QUOTE]

You make a good case, aside from the he hits for more power. Baez is a much better power hitter. But sano does have a clearer path and is clearly a better defender.

Twinsfan33 08-22-2013 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=MarshallCutler6;5570135]You make a good case, aside from the he hits for more power. Baez is a much better power hitter.[/QUOTE]

Sano has "Lighting Tower power", I think he has more power than Baez. We always seem to disagree on things Marshall when it comes to Twins vs Cubs stuff. hahah how about we just say they both have Tremendous Power :)

220sports 08-22-2013 09:16 PM

To say Baez has way more power than Sano is insane. My 2 cents!

MarshallCutler6 08-22-2013 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=Twinsfan33;5570153]Sano has "Lighting Tower power", I think he has more power than Baez. We always seem to disagree on things Marshall when it comes to Twins vs Cubs stuff. hahah how about we just say they both have Tremendous Power :)[/QUOTE]

True that. Id take Baez only because of his ability to hit at a higher level. In terms of average, Sano is struggling in AA, Im sure he will be just fine, but Baez is hitting over .300. But both of them will be studs, no question.

groundhog 08-22-2013 09:24 PM

This is tough but I have to go with Sano. He think he has more power than Baez and he doesn't have make a position change.

MarshallCutler6 08-22-2013 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=groundhog;5570793]This is tough but I have to go with Sano. He think he has more power than Baez and he doesn't have make a position change.[/QUOTE]

Im going to be honest, I don't think Ednel is going to be changing position, Castro would move to 2nd IMO.

Ziveus101 08-22-2013 09:30 PM

The better prospect, Baez (IMO). Solely because I have more faith in Cubs prospects than I do with Twins prospects.

The better major leaguer, who knows?

guff1233 08-22-2013 09:40 PM

Ima have to go with Sano and Sano for the hobby as well. His Chromes are far more rare to find in quality condition and that will hold a premium. I know this because I buy Sano Chromes regularly. Also I think he has the more plate discipline and it will only get better.

Afton9444 08-22-2013 10:53 PM

baez oh yeah...

ufcwecfan 08-22-2013 11:09 PM

I'm still not sure why everyone is so high on Baez? Just like I never understood why everyone was nuts about Brett lawrie in 2011.
They were both good prospects, but not how everyone made them out to be!
I go with Sano, he will hit for Avg and power! Baez will be like rizzo with low avg but 30 hrs.

rseve43 08-22-2013 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=ufcwecfan;5571899]I'm still not sure why everyone is so high on Baez? Just like I never understood why everyone was nuts about Brett lawrie in 2011.
I go with Sano, he will hit for Avg and power! Baez will be like rizzo with low avg but 30 hrs.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying but I don't really see Baez and Lawrie being remotely close in prospect status (back when Lawrie was a prospect). Baez has always been highly touted, Lawrie had to work his way there by being consistently above average through the Minors. I am in agreement with you that Lawrie was overhyped (especially his cards), but Baez is a bigger talent IMO.

I think to say Baez has WAY more pop than Sano is a pretty big stretch, as they've posted virtually the same type of power numbers thus far in the Minor League careers...with Sano getting a slight edge as far as homers go (career, not just this year).

Good discussion all the way through this thread so far, I'd love to hear some more opinions. I'll share mine later.

MarshallCutler6 08-22-2013 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=ufcwecfan;5571899]I'm still not sure why everyone is so high on Baez? Just like I never understood why everyone was nuts about Brett lawrie in 2011.
I go with Sano, he will hit for Avg and power! Baez will be like rizzo with low avg but 30 hrs.[/QUOTE]

Just spitballing, but it could be the .307 average, 33 combined home runs and 100 rbis. Just a guess though, I could be wrong.

cardinalscards4 08-22-2013 11:43 PM

I'll take Sano every day of the week