Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 1,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacB4Sale View Post
baseball is no fun with PED accusations with nothing to base it on other than "he's skinnier".
And you can thank the long list of players who were using for the current state of baseball....
StraWMyerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Ooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,091
Default

I think he is a little too intense, but of course I am no scout. I think once he can calm down and relax on the field (if ever), he will be able to make plays with a little more ease instead of OH MY GOD GO GO GO GO.

I get nervous when a ball is hit to him, just because it looks like he really exerts himself to make the play and sometimes (although I haven't quantified this) that intensity leads to a bad mistake. If that makes sense.
__________________
@Ooosh_E on Twitter
Collecting Travis Snider [looking for all blue or better 2006 Bowman Draft Chromes]
I have recently moved, so please make sure you have my new address
Ooosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
I think he is a little too intense, but of course I am no scout. I think once he can calm down and relax on the field (if ever), he will be able to make plays with a little more ease instead of OH MY GOD GO GO GO GO.

I get nervous when a ball is hit to him, just because it looks like he really exerts himself to make the play and sometimes (although I haven't quantified this) that intensity leads to a bad mistake. If that makes sense.
It makes sense, but I disagree. If there's someone on the team I want the ball hit to, it's him, at least for me. Maybe Gose.
__________________
Collector of ALL Jewish Baseball Players
Looking for 2012 Bowman Draft Autos
Also looking for Troy Tulowitzki, Jarrod Parker, and Blue Jays.
IsaacB4Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Ooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacB4Sale View Post
It makes sense, but I disagree. If there's someone on the team I want the ball hit to, it's him, at least for me. Maybe Gose.
I didn't say the fear was rational
__________________
@Ooosh_E on Twitter
Collecting Travis Snider [looking for all blue or better 2006 Bowman Draft Chromes]
I have recently moved, so please make sure you have my new address
Ooosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 530
Default

Bump with another incredible highlight reel play.

Video: KC@TOR: Lawrie makes a barehanded play in mid-air | MLB.com
__________________
Collector of ALL Jewish Baseball Players
Looking for 2012 Bowman Draft Autos
Also looking for Troy Tulowitzki, Jarrod Parker, and Blue Jays.
IsaacB4Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
tajikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 12,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacB4Sale View Post
Article from Baseball Prospectus, here's what they had to say about Lawrie.

"His detractors will tell you that his makeup makes him a risk or prone to streakiness, but I think that line of thinking is just caddywhompus. He plays at level 10 with an extra shot of espresso at all times, but he is still under control. He has impressive forearm strength that lets him snap the bat head through the zone, but he does a good job of staying back on balls and driving them the other way, whereas he was just looking to yank everything when he first came up. I think he is among the five best defenders at his position in the game, and he is only going to improve. He is very quick and has more than enough arm strength to make the toughest plays to his right. I am comfortable saying that he is going to be a superstar third baseman, and it's more likely to happen sooner than later."
The first part of that reads like a review of a new porn star...not that I would know anything about that.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Ziveus101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 2,510
Default

I'd make a pretty mean-spirited joke about how this is a Jays fan's way of escaping the reality of a horrible 2013 season by going back to 2011 and looking forward to the bright future the Jays have had but I won't. Or at least I wasn't planning to but kind of did anyway.

Defensively I'd say he's the 2nd best 3rd basemen in the AL East, but I'm worried about if/how the artificial turf will destroy his legs...
__________________
Pandemonium Doesn't Reign Around Here, It Pours
Ziveus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 8,266
Default

Machado still > Lawrie behind the plate and at 3rd. Not to mention a full 2 years younger.

Some epic plays by Lawrie though, can't deny that.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
vwnut13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,926
Default

This wins everything.

Video: Must C Cannon: Machado recovers, throws out Cruz | MLB.com
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
SDcardguy24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,951
Default

Can't tell if I stumbled into a Brett Lawrie Appreciation thread or a Manny Machado one...
__________________
"I can't remember the last time I had a losing day" -EricInCT
"Now what if he were to break his leg tomorrow and damage ligaments and never play again? What would those be worth? Just wondering?" -Brewcrew226
"show me your credentials before you keep speaking" -Running Back
SDcardguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
Had he fielded the ball cleanly we'd have had much less to be impressed over.
__________________
JOHNNY CUETO PC SINCE 2011 looking for anything now
WTTF BC Autos of - Justin Willaims and Matt Olson.
Looking for anything of Jose Fernandez (the Cuban 2B), and Alfredo Despaigne
wwejhardyrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
jmscoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: None of your damn business
Posts: 8,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcardguy24 View Post
Can't tell if I stumbled into a Brett Lawrie Appreciation thread or a Manny Machado one...
That is the BO way. Unpredictability is predictable here.
__________________
I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 530
Default

Machado>>>>>Lawrie, yes. I haven't denied this.
__________________
Collector of ALL Jewish Baseball Players
Looking for 2012 Bowman Draft Autos
Also looking for Troy Tulowitzki, Jarrod Parker, and Blue Jays.
IsaacB4Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacB4Sale View Post
Article from Baseball Prospectus, here's what they had to say about Lawrie.

"His detractors will tell you that his makeup makes him a risk or prone to streakiness, but I think that line of thinking is just caddywhompus. He plays at level 10 with an extra shot of espresso at all times, but he is still under control. He has impressive forearm strength that lets him snap the bat head through the zone, but he does a good job of staying back on balls and driving them the other way, whereas he was just looking to yank everything when he first came up. I think he is among the five best defenders at his position in the game, and he is only going to improve. He is very quick and has more than enough arm strength to make the toughest plays to his right. I am comfortable saying that he is going to be a superstar third baseman, and it's more likely to happen sooner than later."
A decent player on a very disappointing team, where are the Blue Jay's Fans on these boards who were punching their World Series tickets back in Feb./Mar.

I'll bet you now wish John Farrell's 'Dream Job' would have not been Boston, the guy has done a great job this year and just proves not all your problems were his fault

Look at the bright side you have 'Gomer' Gibbons locked up for next year....Ehh!!
__________________
solt0131 "I told you guys before the Pens as they are aren't as good as the Bruins and can't beat them."
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,611
Default

He has been batting around .350 in August!
__________________
JOHNNY CUETO PC SINCE 2011 looking for anything now
WTTF BC Autos of - Justin Willaims and Matt Olson.
Looking for anything of Jose Fernandez (the Cuban 2B), and Alfredo Despaigne
wwejhardyrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
A decent player on a very disappointing team, where are the Blue Jay's Fans on these boards who were punching their World Series tickets back in Feb./Mar.

I'll bet you now wish John Farrell's 'Dream Job' would have not been Boston, the guy has done a great job this year and just proves not all your problems were his fault

Look at the bright side you have 'Gomer' Gibbons locked up for next year....Ehh!!
Great, I love Gibbons. Maybe starting pitching will improve.

Also; Farrell hasn't done a *great* job. He has a darn good team though
__________________
Collector of ALL Jewish Baseball Players
Looking for 2012 Bowman Draft Autos
Also looking for Troy Tulowitzki, Jarrod Parker, and Blue Jays.
IsaacB4Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
jason122883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,008
Default

Id also put Beltre above him. I love Adrian at 3B
__________________
LOOKING FOR STEFEN ROMERO BOWMAN CHROME
jason122883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacB4Sale View Post
Great, I love Gibbons. Maybe starting pitching will improve.

Also; Farrell hasn't done a *great* job. He has a darn good team though
Losing both your 'closers' along with arguably your staff ace prior to the end of June, what Farrell has done for the Red Sox is not only a *great* job, but one that just might earn him AL Manager of the Year!!

Yes the Sox are a 'darn good team' but Farrell's knowledge and handling of this teams pitching staff has been admirable to say the least. What Farrell has been able to do in bringing back a winning attitude to what had become a fractured club house speaks volumes about his managing abilities.

Good luck with Gibbons his track record is marginal at best, prior to his return he was a .500 manager who I believe has never made the playoffs.
__________________
solt0131 "I told you guys before the Pens as they are aren't as good as the Bruins and can't beat them."

Last edited by TASS; 08-31-2013 at 02:29 PM.
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Losing both your 'closers' along with arguably your staff ace prior to the end of June, what Farrell has done for the Red Sox is not only a *great* job, but one that just might earn him AL Manager of the Year!!

Yes the Sox are a 'darn good team' but Farrell's knowledge and handling of this teams pitching staff has been admirable to say the least.

Good luck with Gibbons his track record is marginal at best, prior to his return he was a .500 manager who I believe has never made the playoffs.
Judging managers by team success is silly IMO, considering how much more the players matter than the manager. If Gibby was managing the 2013 red sox, you'd be praising him too
__________________
Collector of ALL Jewish Baseball Players
Looking for 2012 Bowman Draft Autos
Also looking for Troy Tulowitzki, Jarrod Parker, and Blue Jays.
IsaacB4Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,703
Default

I wish I was bored enough to go back to threads from February when a lot of Jays fans were already saying the division was over and the Jays were World Series favorites LOLZ

Anyways, it was a nice play by Lawrie last night but it looked like he mis-timed his jump and the jump wasnt even needed.
__________________
If you have under 25 iTrader feedback or any negative, I will ask you to send first
IamRalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacB4Sale View Post
Judging managers by team success is silly IMO, considering how much more the players matter than the manager. If Gibby was managing the 2013 red sox, you'd be praising him too
That's an interesting comment from a Toronto Blue Jay Fan, not saying you but there were many of your Fan base that blamed the Jay's 2012 season's failure on then manager John Farrell, so I ask this with the flurry of off season moves made by the Toronto organization that 'dramatically' improved the existing roster am I to assume the handling of the team and their poor performance has nothing to do with Gibbons.......................Interesting?

If indeed that team does not improve it's performance by next June, 'Gibby' will be gone, and yes I truly believe the direct involvement of John Farrell with the current Red Sox pitching staff has been the major difference between this years success and last years disaster!!

And that is coming directly from comments made by numerous 'thankfull' Sox pitchers both rookies and veterans!

When your manager is a leader, teacher and motivator it is the difference between a 90+ win season and a 60 win season every time, you can take that to the bank.
__________________
solt0131 "I told you guys before the Pens as they are aren't as good as the Bruins and can't beat them."
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
vwnut13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
When your manager is a leader, teacher and motivator it is the difference between a 90+ win season and a 60 win season every time, you can take that to the bank.

So then why weren't the Blue Jays a 90+ win team in 2012?

Their manager was a leader, teacher and motivator was he not?
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
So then why weren't the Blue Jays a 90+ win team in 2012?

Their manager was a leader, teacher and motivator was he not?
Sure he was however he had players in that clubhouse who were not buying into his plan, and as I said earlier yes the Sox are a good team, but Farrell has also done an admirable job with pitchers that had lost some of their 'mojo'

What happened to Farrell in Toronto was similar to what occurred with Boston and Valentine. The team's in the clubhouse were fractured and that showed on the field.

Your point is valid, and I will say winning does seem to cure all!!

I'm a Farrell guy and IMO has made a hugh difference with this team and their overall attitude and chemistry.
__________________
solt0131 "I told you guys before the Pens as they are aren't as good as the Bruins and can't beat them."
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.