Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
IndySportsCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indy
Posts: 21,744
Default

Saw a buddy drop 2K on it today and he's depressed now. I opened 1 box last year and still can't walk right.
__________________
Indy CGC Gradings Master Thread - http://tinyurl.com/p45agbh
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Saw a buddy drop 2K on it today and he's depressed now. I opened 1 box last year and still can't walk right.
Ouch. 2 cases worth of pain. I did one case last year and learned my lesson. High-end, yeah right.
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
kyle1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: COAL VALLEY, IL
Posts: 7,180
Default

best hits from are 2 cases

Trout on card auto
Nolan ryan redemption
cal ripken redemption
ken Griffey redemption
matt holliday redemption
johnny bench redemption
robinson cano redemption

lol so ya

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2...baseball-cards
__________________
Always buying vintage...
Also collect
Museum Frame autos..
NEED A 2011 ALLEN GINTER MINI SET

Last edited by kyle1707; 08-28-2013 at 08:24 PM.
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
charbs91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,578
Default

Opted to just do 1 group break, maybe 2 guys would have made back their initial buy in lol, I didn't mind the stuff just waaaaay overpriced.

Mike
__________________
#TeamConnor

Currently on break from B/S/T until mid August, finishing exams for University.
charbs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601
 
solt0131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,690
Default

Yasiel Puig isn't even in the product. Add that to the list.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
superjames27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cow Town,Arizona
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Saw a buddy drop 2K on it today and he's depressed now. I opened 1 box last year and still can't walk right.
a real friend wouldn't let him do this lol , and back on topic the autograph checklist is weak , a guy busted at my lcs today and his best hits were a babe ruth relic 7/25 , cal ripken jr relic sticker auto 25/25 bad chipping , ryan braun relic sticker auto 19 /99 and a will clark black auto/25 ,
superjames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
cruiserdaddy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,347
Default

Now we are seeing redemptions for relic cards. It simply seems like a giant ponzi scheme. Making redemptions for the same cards (Mays) year after year. When you go to cash in you are given cards of lesser value if you are lucky to get anything. Pretty scary what is happening here.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,730
Default

Topps could care less what anyone thinks of Tier One, they are already focused on the next product. Dealers are already stuck with it, they will get hit on it, not topps. The day topps loses money is the day when we stand up and say no to products that topps is trying to sell us and dealers, WITHOUT a legit representation of what is actually in the product. It is cool and all coming on here and yelling how bad the product is, but I have news for you all, its too late.

The redemption dump just proves that they know they can get away with putting almost ZERO value into a product and still sell it. Dealers and distributors are going to get raped on this one. I would love to hear their opinion on this! Perhaps they get enough joe shmoes off the street who buy a box here and there, to sell out of their product and then they are happy? At what point do dealers stick up and tell topps that they are not going to accept crappy products like this? You know the next time topps will make a product and use redemptions for parallel cards, heck maybe have one big redemption in the box for the entire 24 packs?

I have been thinking all along that topps is just grabbing as much money as they can before they pull an ole fleer and close the doors and leave. They have already fired just about everyone who worked for them. At what point are you in over your head so much that you just have to walk away? There must be at least a few hundred of thousand of dollars in owed redemptions. Why not just fleer, close the doors, clear the books and come back under some other name?

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
hmmdecloth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ / Philadelphia
Posts: 972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Yasiel Puig isn't even in the product. Add that to the list.
Puig is listed as having a crowd pleaser autograph. Not sure what it is numbered to though or if it is a redemption.
hmmdecloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Yasiel Puig isn't even in the product. Add that to the list.
Really sure about this? Wasnt Puig on the checklist?
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
TXGunslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post
Topps could care less what anyone thinks of Tier One, they are already focused on the next product. Dealers are already stuck with it, they will get hit on it, not topps. The day topps loses money is the day when we stand up and say no to products that topps is trying to sell us and dealers, WITHOUT a legit representation of what is actually in the product. It is cool and all coming on here and yelling how bad the product is, but I have news for you all, its too late.

The redemption dump just proves that they know they can get away with putting almost ZERO value into a product and still sell it. Dealers and distributors are going to get raped on this one. I would love to hear their opinion on this! Perhaps they get enough joe shmoes off the street who buy a box here and there, to sell out of their product and then they are happy? At what point do dealers stick up and tell topps that they are not going to accept crappy products like this? You know the next time topps will make a product and use redemptions for parallel cards, heck maybe have one big redemption in the box for the entire 24 packs?

I have been thinking all along that topps is just grabbing as much money as they can before they pull an ole fleer and close the doors and leave. They have already fired just about everyone who worked for them. At what point are you in over your head so much that you just have to walk away? There must be at least a few hundred of thousand of dollars in owed redemptions. Why not just fleer, close the doors, clear the books and come back under some other name?

Kevin
Very well said. After my mays rookie reprint redemption hit 6 months, I decided to not bust another box until it was filed. Now imagine my surprise when they made the EXACT card in this product as the last and still haven't made the 12 version (side note is that the 12 is now worth half or less than it was before). There are few things in the world more fun to me than busting a box but I just can't do it anymore until things change. I for one am voting with my wallet.
__________________
Collecting Ian Kinsler & HOF Baseballs
http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj546/lonestr80/
TXGunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post

I have been thinking all along that topps is just grabbing as much money as they can before they pull an ole fleer and close the doors and leave. They have already fired just about everyone who worked for them. At what point are you in over your head so much that you just have to walk away? There must be at least a few hundred of thousand of dollars in owed redemptions. Why not just fleer, close the doors, clear the books and come back under some other name?
Interesting. I didn't know they fired everyone who worked for them. What did Fleer come back as? I would think the Topps brand is too valuable just to reboot.
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,730
Default

After fleer dumped all their redemption, they sold the name to UD and Upper Deck ran what was left of fleer's name into the ground. Actually UD still comes out with a high end product duplicating all of fleers best cards over the years. Keep in mind once UD lost licenses in football and baseball they went on a similar dump of redemptions saying that they could legally no longer honor redemptions in football and baseball.

Again I ask, what motivation does topps have in getting these redemptions filled?

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
premium1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Now we are seeing redemptions for relic cards. It simply seems like a giant ponzi scheme. Making redemptions for the same cards (Mays) year after year. When you go to cash in you are given cards of lesser value if you are lucky to get anything. Pretty scary what is happening here.
Yup

Could Topps be considered at time of Ponzi scheme?
__________________
<-----Great deals to be found on my COMC!
premium1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
jmscoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: None of your damn business
Posts: 8,548
Default

This stuff looks beyond rough. I have watched multiple breaks and have yet to see a single one that wasn't awful much less acceptable. Not to mention the fact that there seem to be more redemption hits than live hits. It won't shock me that coming soon a 12 box 'case' from Topps will come in a bubble mailer with 12 redemption cards in it for the actual boxes.
__________________
I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Qwasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 9,599
Default

I'm thinking in order to be able to bring some of the bat knobs large patches etc you have to have alot of stinker boxes? high risk high reward type of situation?

the part I don't like that much is when you get a case, even if you get a great hit, it kinda gets evened out with stinkers so you never get your money back or break even, even if you get good hits.

I don't think topps really has the ability to manipulate the "VALUE" market on the cards though, so that's really just what people are willing to pay for the cards, if everybody was paying high prices for the relics & auto's everybody would think it's a great release.

redemptions kinda suck but, at the same time? most people who are box breakers just sell the redemption to someone who collects and is willing to wait?

product isn't a great value flip situation but I have seen some nice stuff pulled from it.
__________________
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
premium1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
This stuff looks beyond rough. I have watched multiple breaks and have yet to see a single one that wasn't awful much less acceptable. Not to mention the fact that there seem to be more redemption hits than live hits. It won't shock me that coming soon a 12 box 'case' from Topps will come in a bubble mailer with 12 redemption cards in it for the actual boxes.
I have only seen a couple of good breaks myself. I got VERY lucky with my cases and should make a buck or two, but that is pretty bad that I will just barely make profit after having one of the better breaks. The part that makes it worse too is that this is in my opinion the best looking set as far as autographs. Seeing the blue card of death really ruins the fun.
__________________
<-----Great deals to be found on my COMC!
premium1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
premium1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
redemptions kinda suck but, at the same time? most people who are box breakers just sell the redemption to someone who collects and is willing to wait?
I sell them because they are redemptions. If they were live I would hang on to a lot more of my pulls. The only exception I have made this year was my Heritage triple auto pull of Aaron, Musial, and Yastremzki. I just couldn't give that card away on ebay while knowing how nice it would be if redeemed. I will probably never see it, but I am still holding out hope. I just wish cards like that were live. It would make things so much more fun and exciting.
__________________
<-----Great deals to be found on my COMC!
premium1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Qwasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 9,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
I sell them because they are redemptions. If they were live I would hang on to a lot more of my pulls. The only exception I have made this year was my Heritage triple auto pull of Aaron, Musial, and Yastremzki. I just couldn't give that card away on ebay while knowing how nice it would be if redeemed. I will probably never see it, but I am still holding out hope. I just wish cards like that were live. It would make things so much more fun and exciting.
definately agree...... nothing like pulling the real thing.
__________________
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
jmscoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: None of your damn business
Posts: 8,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
The only exception I have made this year was my Heritage triple auto pull of Aaron, Musial, and Yastremzki. I just couldn't give that card away on ebay while knowing how nice it would be if redeemed. I will probably never see it, but I am still holding out hope.
Why so negative? I hear that Musial has the cards in his possession right now for signing so they should be back any day right?
__________________
I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
premium1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Why so negative? I hear that Musial has the cards in his possession right now for signing so they should be back any day right?
LOL, I actually think Yaz is the one holding it up. All of the other cards from Aaron and Musial were signed, so I am holding out hope. Lets hope Stan The Man isn't the reason.
__________________
<-----Great deals to be found on my COMC!
premium1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbears86 View Post
topps just cannot do "high end" they kill at chrome, draft, etc......anything $100 and over? forget it!
This pretty much hits the nail on the head.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,276
Default

Watched a case break on LCB last night that had 4 patch/autos, a Griffey Prodigous Pros (or whatever it is) autograph #d/10 and an Aaron Tier One Relic Auto parallel in it.
__________________
Tyrell Jenkins Supercollector

Last edited by crazy4kinsler; 08-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.
crazy4kinsler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
I was going to possibly purchase a box or two. I'm sure glad I didn't.

Here are my thoughts on why it is yet another failed release:

-Cases are either loaded with great boxes, or they are almost a complete bust.

-I still have yet to see a checklist released by Topps.

-Redemptions Redemptions Redemptions

-Relic Redemptions. REALLY Topps?!?

-Case hits are /399

-Almost all of the big names are Redemptions
-King Felix
-Ken Griffey Jr
-Mike Schmidt
-Yu Darvish
-Mike Trout/Rickey Henderson
-Josh Hamilton
-Bryce Harper/Mike Trout
-Jean Segura
-Pedro Martinez
-Frank Thomas
-Willie Mays
-Jared Weaver
-Evan Longoria

-Watered down with less than desirable names. Which are all live autos I believe.
-Alex Cobb
-Devon Mesoraco
-Andrew Cashner
-Michael Fiers
-Brett Jackson
-Brock Holt
-Mike Olt
-Casey Kelly
-Michael Morse
-Kirk Nieuwenhuis

Just the thoughts of someone on the outside looking in.
Isn't everything topps put out a failed product.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Davesportscards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
Isn't everything topps put out a failed product.
Touche.
__________________
Please do not ask me "What's your best price?". If you see something you like, make an offer.
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.