Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 Topps Tier One. Can we consider it another failed release?

I was going to possibly purchase a box or two. I'm sure glad I didn't.

Here are my thoughts on why it is yet another failed release:

-Cases are either loaded with great boxes, or they are almost a complete bust.

-I still have yet to see a checklist released by Topps.

-Redemptions Redemptions Redemptions

-Relic Redemptions. REALLY Topps?!?

-Case hits are /399

-Almost all of the big names are Redemptions
-King Felix
-Ken Griffey Jr
-Mike Schmidt
-Yu Darvish
-Mike Trout/Rickey Henderson
-Josh Hamilton
-Bryce Harper/Mike Trout
-Jean Segura
-Pedro Martinez
-Frank Thomas
-Willie Mays
-Jared Weaver
-Evan Longoria

-Watered down with less than desirable names. Which are all live autos I believe.
-Alex Cobb
-Devon Mesoraco
-Andrew Cashner
-Michael Fiers
-Brett Jackson
-Brock Holt
-Mike Olt
-Casey Kelly
-Michael Morse
-Kirk Nieuwenhuis

Just the thoughts of someone on the outside looking in.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Agreed with every point. Night and with 2012 Tier One.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

The redemptions are ridiculous!

Internet tough guy Will Watson is my #1 fan!!
THE(NEXT)LEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Bite your tongue about Michael Morse. He's only the greatest outfielder the Mariners have ever had.....
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's absurd that Topps can release this garbage at the high end price point and stick people with autos like Devin Morasco and Kirk Nieuwenhuis at $100 a pack,and package it in a cardboard box and call it a "box". Then seeing 25% of these "boxes" produce redemptions, even relic redemptions, has me shaking my head. FYI: Many of the bat knobs last year only sold for $300-$500.
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Agree with everything except for the loaded/dry complaint. If they were to hand collate and make every box/case yield as close to an average return as possible, everyone would lose, just at a more consistent rate. Part of the fun in opening is the gambling aspect. If someone wants a safe return, they're going to buy the cards they want on the secondary market. By keeping everything random, they increase the variance on return, make big wins possible, and they maintain the integrity of the odds from box to box. When you have designated case hits or a set expectation on what a case should yield, less than scrupulous sellers at the box level can buy cases, open until they hit the money card, and sell off the rest to unsuspecting buyers. When a box/case can have multiple big hits, everyone is on a level playing field.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is it true that they put the Mays clear rookie reprint auto in 13? I know everyone is still waiting for this card from 12 and can't imagine that they put it in 13 also.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGunslinger View Post
Is it true that they put the Mays clear rookie reprint auto in 13? I know everyone is still waiting for this card from 12 and can't imagine that they put it in 13 also.
I believe they did.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
Agree with everything except for the loaded/dry complaint. If they were to hand collate and make every box/case yield as close to an average return as possible, everyone would lose, just at a more consistent rate. Part of the fun in opening is the gambling aspect. If someone wants a safe return, they're going to buy the cards they want on the secondary market. By keeping everything random, they increase the variance on return, make big wins possible, and they maintain the integrity of the odds from box to box. When you have designated case hits or a set expectation on what a case should yield, less than scrupulous sellers at the box level can buy cases, open until they hit the money card, and sell off the rest to unsuspecting buyers. When a box/case can have multiple big hits, everyone is on a level playing field.
I agree with every part of this, I just hate redemptions.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well if they would cut out the Inception, Tribute they would be set.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajikey View Post
Bite your tongue about Michael Morse. He's only the greatest outfielder the Mariners have ever had.....
Morse has played LF and RF for in Seattle, therefore he's the two greatest outfielders the Mariners have ever had
chompsmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

There should be some kind of limit with redemptions like less than 2% and you can't insert redemptions of a player who has redemptions from over a year ago. I wish MLB cared more about us collectors and set some standards with the license they hand out.

I was thinking can't someone sue Topps over redemptions expiring like Groupon was sued for the coupons expiring?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

So why is everyone complaining about this years product while acting like 2012 was that amazing? 2012 consisted of 9 boxes of David Wright jerseys and Josh Reddick/Neftali Feliz autos and 3 boxes with a Ryan Braun or Prince Fielder auto patch, one good to great auto, and an oversized Chris Sale patch. Maybe a bat knob 1 in 25 cases or whatever.

This year looks to be 9 boxes of David Wright jerseys and Derek Holland/Salvador Perez autos, and 3 boxes of with a Matt Moore/CarGo auto patch, one good to great auto, and an oversized Chris Sale patch. Maybe a bat knob 1 in 25 cases or whatever.

So what am I missing? Or is everyone just having selective memory again?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

I believe Topps tweeted that the checklist was up like 20 minutes ago

EDIT: saw the thread about it after I posted this
*The World's Official #1 Ariana Grande Superfan*

Last edited by Kobe24>MJ23; 08-28-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Kobe24>MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Doesn't look like they've cut back on redemptions at all.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think the fact that we're not seeing any of the big hits (knobs, cut autos) come out yet is hurting the initial hype. This was a boom-or-bust product last year as well. However, the bat knobs gave the product a lot of hype. My thinking is that the knobs will be considered passe this year since it's already been done (as well as the rookie reprints), and therefore the product will just not get the same hype.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcollecting View Post
There should be some kind of limit with redemptions like less than 2% and you can't insert redemptions of a player who has redemptions from over a year ago. I wish MLB cared more about us collectors and set some standards with the license they hand out.

I was thinking can't someone sue Topps over redemptions expiring like Groupon was sued for the coupons expiring?
not even close to being the same thing...........
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Well if they would cut out the Inception, Tribute they would be set.
Inception is the best release of the year thus far and a very solid product value wise if prospecting is your thing.
BOOMER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

The short:
RELIC REDEMPTIONS=FAILED PRODUCT.

the long:
should we consider this the norm now?
all I read about and experience is terrible topps service an those now-hideous redemption cards. I WANT MY PULL DAMMIT.

with our interest based in MLB liscenced material considerable, Topps straight up has us by the breaking balls.

This list of mass signers is extremely unproven-flash-potential heavy and very light on the HOF-type variety.

you want a vida blue, kaline, podres, Dr. K, fergie jenkins, jim rice oncard or sticker auto from 2010-2013? we have literally thousands.
oh, and so does panini...
nice stash of neiwenhuis, gose, Ike davis, cobb, wily peralta et al. too

I just am baffled at what the checklists look like, and have never fully understood Tier one other thatn to get more money out of us after ginter season and before chrome season

"triple jerseys" (?) have always pissed me off. That's just stupid.

I might just be getting old. I still really want the Ozzie smith on card from this set. So far it's the only one that struck me. the HOF relics peppered in help ALOT.
timelovesahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
So why is everyone complaining about this years product while acting like 2012 was that amazing? 2012 consisted of 9 boxes of David Wright jerseys and Josh Reddick/Neftali Feliz autos and 3 boxes with a Ryan Braun or Prince Fielder auto patch, one good to great auto, and an oversized Chris Sale patch. Maybe a bat knob 1 in 25 cases or whatever.

This year looks to be 9 boxes of David Wright jerseys and Derek Holland/Salvador Perez autos, and 3 boxes of with a Matt Moore/CarGo auto patch, one good to great auto, and an oversized Chris Sale patch. Maybe a bat knob 1 in 25 cases or whatever.

stuck the landing. Nailed it.
timelovesahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

I've never liked Tier None. Never bothered to purchase anything other than a couple of autos. Which were DIRT cheap. Products like Tier None kill the value of other cards from good products.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:

I bought a few tier one singles(4 or 5 I think) from 11' and 12' because I like the design and the on-card autos look sharp. Buying a box from any year, even a case for that matter, seems like a pretty crazy risk to me. Most high end boxes from Topps seem like a crazy risk to me.

I was surprised expectations for this year's release were so high because of what you posted. I wasn't going to be a jerk and burst bubbles, but yeah, seems selective memory has prevailed.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #23 (permalink)

topps just cannot do "high end" they kill at chrome, draft, etc......anything $100 and over? forget it!
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

If the boxes were at $40, then it would be more reasonable considering the autograph list.
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

I stopped buying Topps other than A&G (and garbage pail kids chrome).

They just don't care. And don't get me started on the idiots they have taking calls (if they decide to pick up that is). After fighting for weeks, I finally got all of my redemptions replaced. Done with Topps until I see some major changes. Not holding my breath though.

To those ripping this product, I'd like to offer my condolences.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote