Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 A&G

Not sure about others, but I was curious how others in the forum have fared with Allen and Ginter this year. I've seemingly had more luck this year with A&G blasters, over hobby. My 2 hobby boxes have been terrible, the best pull being a Saban relic......all the other hits have been extremely low end relics. I have though pulled some decent minis in the hobby boxes like NNO minis and a couple good high numbered black bordered stars and former stars.

The 4 blasters though have been pretty good. I've pulled 3 red backs numbered to /25, the best of all being the Jackie Robinson /25 this evening. The relic wasn't all that good, but I did get some other good minis which I dig.

Have you all had similar success with the blasters over hobby?
Attached Thumbnails
2013 A&G-robinson.jpg  
PC Items wanted: 1988 Topps Tiffany Mark Grace PSA 10 & 2012 Mike Heath Leaf Memories #3/5
ElonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Terrible hobby boxes too...opened five boxes and haven't pulled a card worth more than 8 bucks :P

Haven't tried any blasters, but I'm definitely done with the hobby boxes...

Bucket:http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/ellsberries/library/?sort=3&page=1
BeantownBashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I cracked 10 blasters - got an Ethier relic, Bill Walton mini relic, Avisail Garcia mini auto., and a Nana Meriwether no # mini. So no, I'd say blasters and hobby boxes have the same odds of being crappy and that you're extremely lucky.
corockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBashers View Post
Terrible hobby boxes too...opened five boxes and haven't pulled a card worth more than 8 bucks :P

Haven't tried any blasters, but I'm definitely done with the hobby boxes...
I'm done with hobby too. My wife has always been great picking Ginter blasters!
PC Items wanted: 1988 Topps Tiffany Mark Grace PSA 10 & 2012 Mike Heath Leaf Memories #3/5
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got three hobby boxes. The first was a bust. The second had a 1/5 double rip card. The third had a Johnny bench ext printing plate. I got 4 blisters and pulled a Darvish relic and nothing to great out of the others. I will buy a couple more hobby boxes and boasters whenever I got to target.
Robdooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

My girlfriend has opened 17 blasters, and pulled 11 relics or auto's, along with 5-6 NNO mini's. I'm the opposite with Ginter blasters, I'm like 4-15 with all relics. Puig's are a super tough pull though, in our 32 blasters we have just 2 Puigs.
Supercollecting Dillon Overton
Mrpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpokey View Post
My girlfriend has opened 17 blasters, and pulled 11 relics or auto's, along with 5-6 NNO mini's. I'm the opposite with Ginter blasters, I'm like 4-15 with all relics. Puig's are a super tough pull though, in our 32 blasters we have just 2 Puigs.
Good point - no Puigs in my 10 blasters.
corockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have 1 regular Puig from my 6 total boxes. ...... Interesting point there.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have done ginter heavily for years now. 2013 was not a bad product, but it didn't live up to how great 2012 was. You can see that by the wax prices now. I would rather open 2012 or even 2011 for that matter. The big hits were just not there this year in the autographs and the boycott of a few key rip card collectors from this years product made rip cards almost worthless. I can say that with ginter it helps to just keep buying until you hit a big card. Even though I have seen (and gotten sick by seeing) a few people open one box and pull a card that will net them 500+, it usually helps to keep ripping. Ginter is deceptive. You might think you did poorly, but then find out one of your relics is an SSP and that just paid for a few boxes. The minis do very well too.

I will probably not bust anymore 2013, but 2012 at 95-105 per box is still very fun and there are huge names on the autograph checklists.

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post
I have done ginter heavily for years now. 2013 was not a bad product, but it didn't live up to how great 2012 was. You can see that by the wax prices now. I would rather open 2012 or even 2011 for that matter. The big hits were just not there this year in the autographs and the boycott of a few key rip card collectors from this years product made rip cards almost worthless. I can say that with ginter it helps to just keep buying until you hit a big card. Even though I have seen (and gotten sick by seeing) a few people open one box and pull a card that will net them 500+, it usually helps to keep ripping. Ginter is deceptive. You might think you did poorly, but then find out one of your relics is an SSP and that just paid for a few boxes. The minis do very well too.

I will probably not bust anymore 2013, but 2012 at 95-105 per box is still very fun and there are huge names on the autograph checklists.

Kevin
Exactly. A lot of products you just look at the 3 hits or so and that determines how well you did. With Ginter, the hits usually aren't where the money is. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbuch View Post
Exactly. A lot of products you just look at the 3 hits or so and that determines how well you did. With Ginter, the hits usually aren't where the money is. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.
Yup! When I got back into collecting, it was around the time of a Ginter release. I had been out of collecting for almost 20 years. I instantly loved the product by lookin at pics on the web. It took me about a year to realize the "hits" aren't the hits! It's a product of patience. My wife loves the product too, so it's nice to share it with her......and she picks nice blaster boxes!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is the best pull I have had in two hobby boxes
Attached Thumbnails
2013 A&G-image.jpg  
phizeta564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I mean, where else can you pull hard signed autographs of HOF'ers for less than 5 bucks a pack?
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

One hobby box...$84...all my hits together would sell for maybe $3...minus seller fees of course and shipping
ArsonCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

On two seperate trips to the LCS, bought 10, and 6 packs of hobby. Pulled a Lindsey Vonn auto (sold for $60 on ebay), and two $2 relics - zero red backs or NNOs. Bought 2 blasters, and pulled 2 no-name relics, and a Puig base. I'm quitting while I'm (sort of) ahead...lol...

BTW - I used the funds from the Vonn to buy a Ziggy Marley auto (since we named our daughter Marley, and we have a cat named Ziggy, it only made sense lol). Since then I have added the relic version (x2, both multi-color), the red back mini /25, nno mini, black mini, base mini, base, cyan plate 1/1, and most recently a red ink auto from a rip card (unframed). I just lost out on the glossy 1/1 LMK if anyone pulls any 1/1s or versions I don't have!
mocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

One box close to 500 sv so Im probably one and done with this product.
limitedplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElonU View Post
Yup! When I got back into collecting, it was around the time of a Ginter release. I had been out of collecting for almost 20 years. I instantly loved the product by lookin at pics on the web. It took me about a year to realize the "hits" aren't the hits! It's a product of patience. My wife loves the product too, so it's nice to share it with her......and she picks nice blaster boxes!
I got out of collecting in the very early 90's and returned in 2005-2008 and then recently returned. When I really got into it in 2007 I must have bought 2 cases in loose boxes of AG.

Fast forward to last week, I am letting my nephew sell some of my bulk stuff and he comes across my stash of A/G and there is TONS of stuff in there. I mean, nothing worth hundreds but probably 200-300 cards worth a couple bucks a piece. At the time I just considered them base and put them away in boxes.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Bought 4 blasters... Pulled a Base Puig RC along with a Pele mini, People on Bicycles SP Mini and...

Sold for $35 plus shipping

Sold for $30 plus shipping
Davesportscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

2 cases of hobby, best card = Pele auto
10 blaster, best card = Pele auto
zebrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

That's pretty solid for 4 blasters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Bought 4 blasters... Pulled a Base Puig RC along with a Pele mini, People on Bicycles SP Mini and...

Sold for $35 plus shipping

Sold for $30 plus shipping
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have purchased two blasters and was 'lucky' enough to pull a red auto out of each. Unfortunately, even with that I didn't come close to even covering half of the cost of the blasters. No thank you for me, I just don't understand this product.

Datkiem was a mad genius and way ahead of his time.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #22 (permalink)

Here's my input:

2013 A&G 2 Box Break with some UNREAL luck
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #23 (permalink)

I've only bought a few from Hobby and haven't had much success but the blasters and hanger packs have been pretty decent.

My last 3 hanging packs yielded the Robert-Demolaize auto, Cueto relic and one hanger had AG back minis of Koufax and Molitor SP.

The last blaster had the Ryne Sandberg red back mini 4/25, Mini AG backs of Bud Selig and Abe Vigoda, a black border of Stanton and a handful of high numbered cards.

I think I'll stick with retail.

Let's go Orioles

Last edited by DarkTiger29; 08-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.
DarkTiger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #24 (permalink)

I have bought 2.5 hobby boxes and 4 blasters. I have spent $300 and I couldn't be happier with my return. It's the best i've done since the infamous 2011 Value Boxes

Kershaw/Koufax Dual Rip Card /5-Sold for $600 off eBay
Ted Williams Framed SP Bat Relic-still have it but probably worth $90-100
Nick Saban Relic-sold for $40
Cliff Lee Relic w/ authentication holo-sold for $30
4 NNO's, SSP minis etc that i've sold for another $40

Still have every other card too.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #25 (permalink)

As my first post I'll add to the convo by saying hobby boxes have been better to me by a ways.

Out of 2 blaster and 2-3 hanging packs best card pulled was a base Puig RC and a couple black bordered minis

From the two hobby boxes have gotten the Puig Base, NNO Santana, People on Bikes mini, Darvish relic, Artie Lange auto, and Longoria silk

2012 was a different story though....
noryan34 is offline   Reply With Quote