Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brandon Phillips

Has anyone seen the video of him flipping out on the reporter?
bballcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Reds 2B Brandon Phillips cusses out reporter who tweeted about OBP (audio) - MLB - Sporting News

Video!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Brandon Phillips is a fantastically entertaining individual.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I thought it was pretty funny. Who cares about his OBP when the man has already knocked in 95 RBIs. I'm pretty sure he's hitting about .350 when there's runners in scoring position.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Phillips is a clown. Didn't he create an issue last season accusing a pitcher of saying something racist even though nothing could be seen on the replay when the alleged incident occurred?
ageofreason13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Phillips embarrasses himself, reporter tweeted nothing untrue, and was simply doing his job. If Phillips wants to be offended, work at being better at the plate I guess.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

"ctrent ‏@ctrent 21h

Reds go from a hitter with a .320 OBP in the 2 hole to one with a .310 OBP"

OH MY GOD DRAMA!

Didn't he also get very offended when Brian Kenny ranked him on his 2B list?

Last edited by xbignick; 08-29-2013 at 01:45 PM.
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
"ctrent ‏@ctrent 21h

Reds go from a hitter with a .320 OBP in the 2 hole to one with a .310 OBP"

OH MY GOD DRAMA!

Didn't he also get very offended when Brian Kenny ranked him on his 2B list?
Probably. He thinks he's worth as much as Joey Votto.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

He is vastly overrated. He has the rbis because he had votto and choo who both get on base over 4/10 times. He isn't a top second baseman in the league, aside from his glove.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Man that was awesome.

Last edited by phillies347; 08-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

I undertand that he got defensive over the OBP, but to call people "fat m#!f@%!" is crossing the line, in front of a whole crowd no less. SMH. Shame on him to put the guy down like that. I have no respect for a guy like that. Spoiled millionaire ballplayers like him think they're above everyone. Keep it classy.

Last edited by enyouartist; 08-29-2013 at 10:51 PM.
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyouartist View Post
I undertand that he got defensive over the OBP, but to call people "fat m#!f@%!" is crossing the line, in front of a whole crowd no less. SMH. Shame on him to put the guy down like that. I have no respect for a guy like that. Spoiled millionaire ballplayers like him think they're everyone. Keep it classy.
I still think he's classy. Sure he got a little upset. But how many Major League players show up to a kid's Little League game?

Always looking for ROMLBs of prospects
Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Phillips embarrasses himself, reporter tweeted nothing untrue, and was simply doing his job. If Phillips wants to be offended, work at being better at the plate I guess.
Agree, what he did was completely uncalled for. The reporter did nothing wrong except point out a fact.

A .310 OBP isn't good, Phillips is just lucky his manager is a clown who couldn't care less about OBP.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Is it just me or did anyone else think it was wrong that Dusty just sat there smiling? He could have atleast told Phillips to relax. It's basically like he saw nothing wrong. Do I agree it was their problem , yes. But it's still his player. I guess that's why everyone loves playing for him, he lets them do whatever they want
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSox22 View Post
Is it just me or did anyone else think it was wrong that Dusty just sat there smiling? He could have atleast told Phillips to relax. It's basically like he saw nothing wrong. Do I agree it was their problem , yes. But it's still his player. I guess that's why everyone loves playing for him, he lets them do whatever they want
That's what I thought, but a manager yelling back at an unruly player in front of a crowd of reporters isn't the way to go either. I would hope he spoke to him after, and possibly disciplined him, but I doubt that. Saying "it's between you two" is dumb.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Completely classless move by Phillips, and typical Dusty with the reaction. I am a big Reds fan, and a Phillips fan for that matter, but the fact is the man is a loudmouth. He whined about Votto getting a better deal than him, called the owner of the team a liar, and now this. The reporter, C Trent Rosecrans, who I am NOT a fan of at all, did not deserve the reaction he got. All he did was tweeted Phillips' slash as news broke that Phillips was going back to the 2 hole.

To me, this shows how bad of a manager Baker is. You have Votto, the man who seemingly has no interest in driving in runs but has the best OBP in the NL, batting third, behind the guy who has the third most RBI in the NL?! Here's how this lineup should look:

1. Choo - .412 OBP, second best in the NL
2. Votto - .435 OBP, best in the NL
3. Phillips - 95 RBI, third in the NL
4. Bruce - 87 RBI, fourth in the NL

As stated previously, Baker lets his players do what they want. Phillips wants to bat second, he bats second. Votto wants to bat third, he bats third. This team needs a Joe Girardi-type manager.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogansportscards View Post
This team needs a Joe Girardi-type manager.
We'll trade you Joe Girardi for Joey Votto, Matt Latos and Johnny Cueto.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
XL5

Remember when he was in his first Spring Training with Cleveland? He told everyone to call him "The Franchise" and he even put his self-proclaimed nickname on his shoes. He's always been a conceited loudmouth.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nick2317 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick2317

dude is a straight tool no matter how many little league games he shows up to
Nick2317 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hilarious. Having been around him on a personal level multiple times I can say he is one of the nicest/coolest guys in the league to be around. Now, I would have confronted the reporter in private...but the dude didn't do himself any favors trying to be a smartass.

Sports reporters as a whole, are arrogant, whiny, thin-skinned d-bags for seemingly no reason. 90% time in situations like these I'm siding with the player.
Fraser9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Phillips is a clown. It's a shame someone who is a very talented baseball player can be such a douche bag.

Check out my eBay store for great cards at great prices! Everything set OBO!
HOFcollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
He is vastly overrated. He has the rbis because he had votto and choo who both get on base over 4/10 times. He isn't a top second baseman in the league, aside from his glove.
Brandon Phillips has a complex - SBNation.com

Quote:

As I wrote in a column looking at the NL MVP race a couple of weeks back, ballplayers have two jobs on offense: starting trouble and finishing it. Phillips has excelled in the latter department, hitting .318/.369/.460 with runners on base and .355/.411/.504 with runners in scoring position. Thanks to Shin-Soo Choo and Joey Votto, Phillips has had the most plate appearances with runners on base in the National League and has seen more baserunners than any player except Prince Fielder, so this has worked out very nicely for the Reds. However, nearly half (46 percent for you sticklers) of Phillips' plate appearances have come with the bases empty, and he has been miserable in such situations, hitting .207/.242/.344. When leading off an inning (which he's done 119 times) he's hit .216/.235/.388. That's significant: this season, teams that have begun an inning with a man on first and no outs have averaged .83 runs, whereas starting an inning with one out and nobody on the average drops to .25. In other words, getting a baserunner on to start an inning makes scoring as near to a certainty as you can get in baseball, while failing to do so has the opposite effect.

Phillips' runners on/bases empty dichotomy has ruined his overall numbers. Although he's going to cruise past 100 RBIs, he's having his worst offensive season since 2006. He's 32, and we may one day look back at 2013 and say that this was the year that Phillips confirmed he was suffering from Second Base Syndrome, the tendency of second basemen to suffer a sharp decline in their early 30s.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

Phillips is being dumb as usual. He even stated when Barney rightfully won his Gold Glove last year "he can keep the gold glove i will be winning championships." phillips never has nor will ever win a championship. I wonder if he will ever even come close to it. Phillips is an idiot who likes to hear himself talk.
Wolves4Life is online now   Reply With Quote