Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fun facts!

Came across this working on my HOF project, thought it was interesting about Jim "Catfish" Hunter:

Along with Billy Williams, Hunter was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown in 1987.[4] At the time, a player was allowed to choose which team's cap would be memorialized on his Hall of Fame Plaque. Before and after his induction, Hunter spoke highly of his experiences with both the Athletics and Yankees and his appreciation for both team owners, Charlie Finley and George Steinbrenner. For this reason, he refused to choose a team and thus the plaque depicts him with no insignia on the cap. He was credited by Steinbrenner as the cornerstone of the Yankees in their return to championship form.[1]

Never saw that before. Pretty cool, probably the last time that ever happens since the writers pick now.

Feel free to post any other fun facts! Thanks for the read!
briscogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I thought he chose no logo on his hat because he hated both teams. Guess I learned something today...
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing that info! I didn't know the writes pick now, which is really sad. I hope they listen if a player has one they would like one their plaque. The $%^& writers can't even have a unanimous inductee....and they give them more decision? That's a shame.

101 days until the 2014 National in Cleveland (my 22nd National)
Gmrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
Thanks for sharing that info! I didn't know the writes pick now, which is really sad. I hope they listen if a player has one they would like one their plaque. The $%^& writers can't even have a unanimous inductee....and they give them more decision? That's a shame.
Dave Winfield sold his cap, so to speak, to the highest bidder. After that, the HOF put their foot down.

Gary Carter was screwed though. He wanted to go in as a Met but was forced to go in as an Expo. To me, this means Schilling, if somehow he gets in (and he doesn't deserve to do so,) has to go in as a Phillie, not a Red Sox.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Dave Winfield sold his cap, so to speak, to the highest bidder. After that, the HOF put their foot down.

Gary Carter was screwed though. He wanted to go in as a Met but was forced to go in as an Expo. To me, this means Schilling, if somehow he gets in (and he doesn't deserve to do so,) has to go in as a Phillie, not a Red Sox.
I bet Schilling goes in as a Diamondback even thought I don't think he should get in either.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wade Boggs pushed it too far and got the writers to change the rule..,

And then Boggs signed a contract with the Devil Rays in 1998 where he agreed to enter Cooperstown as a Devil Ray. This odd stipulation in his contract was eventually made illegal by the Hall of Fame committee, and Boggs was forced to enter as a Red Sock.
briscogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblair_2002 View Post
I bet Schilling goes in as a Diamondback even thought I don't think he should get in either.
If that happens, the family of Gary Carter should protest the HOF.

If you are going to have rules, they must be consistent.

Gary Carter 12 years in Montreal - 5 with the Mets.
He had to go in as an Expo.

Curt Schilling 9 in Philly, 4 in AZ and 4 in Boston

Seriously, although I don't see him as a HOFer, if he gets in, it had better be with the Phillies.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I personally believe a player should have the right to choose their cap logo. I understand the concern with people selling the slot to the highest bidder, and I think that's wrong. I just think a player should have the right to choose what's on their head after earning their place in the HOF. I'd be furious if I requested to be shown on a certain team and the HOF denied my request and put me in another team's hat for their own personal reasons.
KryKslr is offline   Reply With Quote