Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bret Saberhagen Collection

I mostly collect football, so not many of you know me. But I do have a pretty big Tony Gonzalez thread on the football sife of Blowout (which includes scans of 131 Gonzo 1/1's I have, among other cards), so some of you might.

Anyway, thought I would do a small introduction.

I have always been a big Saberhagen fan. Growing up in Kansas in the 80s, baseball was a fun to the watch, and the Royals were a great team. Our lineup was loaded. George Brett (the captain), Frank White, Willie Wilson (the KC Ozzie Smith), Steve Balboni (our pre-Bo Jackson power hitter), awesome fielding by Lonnie Smith, as well as great pitching by 'Sabes' (the clubhouse joker), Dan Quisenberry (RIP), trusty Mark Gubicza, and even a young David Cone. If I ever have kids, they likely won't believe me, but, yes, there was a time when we usually beat the Yankees.

With only a little over 650 different Saberhagan cards produced, this collection can never reach the scope of my Steve Young or Tony Gonzalez collections. But the collection makes up for it's lack of cards, with neat 80s odd-balls, including food issue cards (something I wish they still did).

I guess I will start with the early years and work my way up a few years, and then likely jump around. So give me a few days and I hope to have a decent collection shown.

Feel free to PM me with offers for cards I might want.

1984 Fleer Update #U103 Bret Saberhagen RC PSA 10

(Need a Fleer 10 someday....most are usually slightly oc, and I am not spending 100 on a 5 dollar oc card...call me crazy. As if spending 15 dollars for a 5 cent card in 10 isn't crazy already.)

Last edited by MeteoriteGuy; 02-02-2014 at 03:52 AM.
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice collection you have there! Looks great, and thanks for sharing
Old 10-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Last edited by MeteoriteGuy; 10-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

nice collection, you go to Rock's?
bwalter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing! Are you missing anything?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalter1 View Post
nice collection, you go to Rock's?
Not that much, I go to his show every 3-4 months..meaning I miss most of them. Some pretty good deals at the last couple, but my collections are too focused, so it's hard for me to find anything.

Rock is a good guy. Remembered me after I had not been there for over 15 years...and I never spent much money there.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nice stuff!! I am a sucker for PSA 10 collections.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing! Are you missing anything?
I think I have about 400 Sabes, and Beckett says he has a little over 600....so missing about a third. Mostly cards post-1991, after Sabes was traded.

If i ever get around to making a list I can likely pick up 50 or more for next to nothing on sportlots. Until then I have been working on later inserts, autos and more so, my other collections.

My main card interest at the moment is Tony Gonzalez....
Tony Gonzalez Collection

Feel free to let me know what any of you have and what you want. Looking now for box panels, magazine panels, those hard to find tea disc cards, and later inserts.

Will pick up with 1987 scans tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoriteGuy View Post
I think I have about 400 Sabes, and Beckett says he has a little over 600....so missing about a third. Mostly cards post-1991, after Sabes was traded.

If i ever get around to making a list I can likely pick up 50 or more for next to nothing on sportlots. Until then I have been working on later inserts, autos and more so, my other collections.

My main card interest at the moment is Tony Gonzalez....
Tony Gonzalez Collection

Feel free to let me know what any of you have and what you want. Looking now for box panels, magazine panels, those hard to find tea disc cards, and later inserts.

Will pick up with 1987 scans tomorrow.
I'll look through mine, I used to be an oddball dealer from 1983-1992. I actually just pulled a pretty big lot of different Saberhagen items thinking there must be a collector for some of this out there. I do well with the odd stuff on COMC (a few Bret's on there).

Last edited by Gmrson; 10-15-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Gmrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Awesome collection. Almost all 10s. Not sure how you feel about hip hop but you should check this song out. You might appreciate it. If you can't stomach it just skip to the 3:54 point. You'll like it
Mac Lethal - Royals Cap (Number the Stars) - YouTube
ckelly1983pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

His son was coaching as an assistant at the college I went to. I went to a few games with the hope that Brett might show up, but he never did.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
I'll look through mine, I used to be an oddball dealer from 1983-1992. I actually just pulled a pretty big lot of different Saberhagen items thinking there must be a collector for some of this out there. I do well with the odd stuff on COMC (a few Bret's on there).
That would be very cool. Love odd ball stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly1983pa View Post
Awesome collection. Almost all 10s. Not sure how you feel about hip hop but you should check this song out. You might appreciate it. If you can't stomach it just skip to the 3:54 point. You'll like it
Mac Lethal - Royals Cap (Number the Stars) - YouTube
Nice. Never heard a pro-Kansas rap before. Sabes was a XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
His son was coaching as an assistant at the college I went to. I went to a few games with the hope that Brett might show up, but he never did.
That just makes me feel old. I remember when his son was born (during the World Series he was MVP of).
Old 10-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Some 87's...

Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Great memories!

Your thread brings back a lot of memories, thanks. Your collection is outstanding.

PM me your address and I will send you his "Chasing History" out of this week's update if you want it.
geor952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

1989 O-Pee-Chee Glossy Bret Saberhagen Blank Back. Unreleased, Hand-Cut from Proof Sheet

Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Okay, guess now I can jump around now...and come back to the 90s later...

Got this the other week, not many low number Saberhagen cards...

Old 10-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor952 View Post
Your thread brings back a lot of memories, thanks. Your collection is outstanding.

PM me your address and I will send you his "Chasing History" out of this week's update if you want it.
The game and the cards sure have changed.

Thanks for the offer, PM sent.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Met him last year, and has 2 baseballs signed.Nice guy.
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

1990 Bowman Art Inserts #9 Bret Saberhagen (Plate * and Plate ** versions)

1990 Classic Blue #139 Bret Saberhagen

1990 Classic Update #NNO Royal Flush (with Mark Davis/Bret Saberhagen) (Instruction Card)

1990 Fleer Award Winners #30 Bret Saberhagen

1990 Fleer Baseball MVP's #32 Bret Saberhagen

1990 Fleer League Leaders #32 Bret Saberhagen

1990 Publications International Stickers #354 Bret Saberhagen (Blank Back)

1990 Topps Gallery of Champions Silver #10 Bret Saberhagen (1oz. sterling silver)

1990-93 Topps Magazine #5 Bret Saberhagen (From Topps Magazine #1, 1990)

1990 Topps Mini Leaders #17 Bret Saberhagen

1990 Topps Stickers #266 Bret Saberhagen/1990 Topps Sticker Backs #38 Steve Sax
Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think the most suprising thing about Saberhagen was his W/L splits during his first 10 years (1984-1993); his record in odd years was 81-37 with a 2.91 ERA while in even years it was 39-53 with a 3.68 ERA.
HoustonCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Nice collection.

And talk about a steal for the Royals, a 19th round draft pick...
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Bret Saberhagen Autographed Royals 8x10 PSA/DNA COA (1990 era signature)

Bret Saberhagen Autographed Mets 8x10 PSA/DNA COA (2010 era signature)

New York Times; July 28, 1993

BASEBALL; Saberhagen Admits to 'Joke'

Bret Saberhagen yesterday identified himself as the player who lit a firecracker and threw it under a table near reporters in the Shea Stadium clubhouse on July 7.

"I have nothing to hide," said Saberhagen, the right-hander for the Mets.

And despite the public tumult involving Vince Coleman, Bobby Bonilla and last Saturday's incident with fireworks in Los Angeles, Saberhagen added that he had no reason to apologize.

"It was a practical joke," Saberhagen said. "If the reporters can't take it, forget them."

Saberhagen insisted he had not thrown the firecracker with the intent to injure anyone. No injuries from the incident were reported.

"I didn't throw it in the middle of them," Saberhagen said of the reporters who had crowded around Anthony Young's locker after a 2-0 loss. "I wanted to get people's attention. There are always tons of reporters here when something bad is happening. I don't like a lot of them."

Saberhagen said he has not been disciplined by the club for the incident. "What are they going to do? Fine me?" Saberhagen asked.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

2012 Tristar Hidden Treasures Platinum Baseball Bret Saberhagen 3/3

Saberhagen Says He Sprayed Bleach

Daily News Wire Services; August 11, 1993

Bret Saberhagen apologized for his "practical joke" gone astray after being identified yesterday by the New York Mets as the player who sprayed bleach on two reporters two weeks ago.

The team said the pitcher will contribute one day's pay, $15,384.62, to a charity or charities designated by the New York Chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

Saberhagen, on the disabled list after knee surgery this week, also will miss a number of days to be determined when he returns from his injury in about a month.

The 29-year-old righthander initially denied spraying the bleach and threw a clubhouse tantrum Friday night after learning the Mets had completed their investigation of the matter.

This was the second time this summer Saberhagen denied involvement in a clubhouse incident before reluctantly accepting responsibility. On July 7, he threw firecrackers behind reporters who were interviewing pitcher Anthony Young.

Saberhagen said the bleach episode July 27 was designed as a prank "to return a practical joke played on me by a Mets employee" and that he did not plan to harm anyone. He apologized to the reporters - Dave D'Alessandro, of The Record, and Mark Herrmann, of Newsday - and said he would reimburse them for any damage to their clothes.

"My intention was simply to paint the employee's jeans with bleach," Saberhagen said in a statement. "Unfortunately, in trying to get the bleach to the front of the squirt gun I was using, I squeezed it too hard and some of it accidentally shot into the air, apparently landing on at least two reporters in the clubhouse . . .

"I never intended, however, to harm anyone, and any perception that the bleach was sprayed intentionally at reporters, in an effort to hinder the performance of their functions or for any other reason, is simply mistaken."

Saberhagen explained why he did not come forward.

"My reason for not doing so was both simple embarrassment and a concern that the employee involved could get in trouble with the club if I were asked to explain my actions," he said.

When no player took responsibility, the Mets, led by general counsel Dave Howard, investigated. On Friday night, with word the investigation was complete, Saberhagen smashed a super-soaker water gun in the clubhouse and flung a box of golf balls across the room.

The next day, the pitcher's leg buckled in the bullpen while warming up for a start, and on Monday he underwent surgery for torn cartilage in his left knee. He is expected to resume pitching in about a month.

Last edited by MeteoriteGuy; 10-25-2013 at 12:59 PM.