Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

I sold my 2 all-star Strasburg and Harper refractors but not to him Needchapmans so someone else is collecting the set.
Yanks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

I just hit a all-star Hanley Ramirez /25

http://s237.photobucket.com/user/sbft2936/library/?sort=6&page=1
Chargafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks23 View Post
I sold my 2 all-star Strasburg and Harper refractors but not to him Needchapmans so someone else is collecting the set.
You were tough indeed. Thought I would be able to get the Harper from you but good sale if you did better.

Have to find one of those too! Proving to be as difficult a venture as I anticipated. A few set-goers making prices tough.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #29 (permalink)

You'd think the more important factor to Topps is that their most popular sets are redos of sets they put out 20+ years ago.
cardinalsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #30 (permalink)

I was lucky enough to get a Weaver /10 from a group break here..... I'm thinking of just sitting on it until most of them dry up and a premium is placed on it when they show up again on the bay.... I know it's a risk, but I don't "need" the money now so sitting on it for now will be no big deal to me.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #31 (permalink)

I hit a Longoria /10 in a group break. It is up for auction now. I also got an ellsbury /25 Baseballs Finest - but that is staying in the PC.
scollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #32 (permalink)

jeter 1/10 sold for 650

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

I think they're ugly.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

These have officially hit insane levels
Cabrera: $615
Cano: $520
Wright: $415

A few active auctions
Harper: $1250, $1225 both with over 5 days to go
Trout /25: $640 with over a day left

Holy hell
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #35 (permalink)

Even the "common" refractors #/25 are bringing $40+ now, when they were $20 at release. People are pressing for the set and it will be really tough for the majority of those chasing it.
discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #36 (permalink)

I just had my $500 offer on a McCutchen /10 auto declined. Is there any McCutchen card even worth $500?

Madness indeed.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I just had my $500 offer on a McCutchen /10 auto declined.

Madness indeed.
Did you see the Cain $599 BIN? I'm sure it's the douche who hoarded them that's selling it, but that might not be a bad deal nowadays
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
Did you see the Cain $599 BIN? I'm sure it's the douche who hoarded them that's selling it, but that might not be a bad deal nowadays
It is. And he's got a Posey up for $1,499.99. He paid $350 for the Posey and $150 for the Cain and he's trying to flip them for 200% profit now.

No thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #39 (permalink)

These prices are WOW. let's see how long they continue for...
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradedeflator View Post
These prices are WOW. let's see how long they continue for...
That is my thought as well. I really want a Stanton but I don't think it is worth a fraction of the going prices. I could be wrong but I think when the next shiny new toy comes out these will be placed in the garage sale pile.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
That is my thought as well. I really want a Stanton but I don't think it is worth a fraction of the going prices. I could be wrong but I think when the next shiny new toy comes out these will be placed in the garage sale pile.
No chance of this I'm afraid. Only 320 All Star refractors in total; and at least 6 known set collectors now. Just so few chances for anyone to sneak in a cheap buy (unless the seller doesn't know what they have).

The best buys were the early ones. As more and more are taken off the market; they will only get more expensive / not less.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
No chance of this I'm afraid. Only 320 All Star refractors in total; and at least 6 known set collectors now. Just so few chances for anyone to sneak in a cheap buy (unless the seller doesn't know what they have).

The best buys were the early ones. As more and more are taken off the market; they will only get more expensive / not less.
Agreed for the short term but do you really think it stays like this six months from now? A year from now? Two? I just can't see it. It is the shiny new toy syndrome. I'm sure there are plenty of Tickle Me Elmos in area landfills right now. At the end of the day it is a cool idea of an iconic insert set but it is just a knock off. There are plenty of sets /25 or less that don't bring these kinds of prices. As one of those six collectors I know you are emotionally and financially invested but I just don't see it myself.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
I just had my $500 offer on a McCutchen /10 auto declined. Is there any McCutchen card even worth $500?

Madness indeed.
Yes. But only his rookie autos and even those are rare. Cutch was forgotten about because the Pirates were the doormat.

As someone who has collected Cutch for years people want TOP dollar for his cards for the sole fact he's the face of the Pirates

Now with the Pirates showing a glimmer of hope and playoff bound chances every year his prices are going to go up and up

EDIT: The seller is in Greensburg, PA. Good luck getting a deal on that one.

Last edited by HeyFitzy; 11-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
HeyFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Even the "common" refractors #/25 are bringing $40+ now, when they were $20 at release. People are pressing for the set and it will be really tough for the majority of those chasing it.
I was happy to get just over $80 for my Molina /25
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:

The only way this set will sustain value/ gain value if if the "6 set collectors" are true collectors, who don't have plans to flip these cards for profit at a later date. If there are in fact 6 legit PCers of this set, then I can see it retaining a lot of value.

CMB. My entire collection is up For Sale!!
Jopeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Agreed for the short term but do you really think it stays like this six months from now? A year from now? Two? I just can't see it. It is the shiny new toy syndrome. I'm sure there are plenty of Tickle Me Elmos in area landfills right now. At the end of the day it is a cool idea of an iconic insert set but it is just a knock off. There are plenty of sets /25 or less that don't bring these kinds of prices. As one of those six collectors I know you are emotionally and financially invested but I just don't see it myself.
Well I can tell you that in order for all the set collectors to be happy ... six of each of these need to be seen.

Between some PC's and other people holding them, I just don't think many will be available after everyone gets what they're looking for. Look at the progression of David Wright refractors. Six have sold on eBay in this order

$135.00
$150.00 (Resold for $415.00 as the last sale)
$158.50
$175.00
$249.00
$315.00

To me; that shows that as these become rarer; they will only become more expensive. Most every of the 32 in this set have the same progression for the ones that have sold; so I think in a few years, you simply won't even be able to find them on the market.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #47 (permalink)

I plan on busting 2 more cases of this stuff. Hopefully I pull some doozies
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopeal View Post
The only way this set will sustain value/ gain value if if the "6 set collectors" are true collectors, who don't have plans to flip these cards for profit at a later date. If there are in fact 6 legit PCers of this set, then I can see it retaining a lot of value.
Well, that's a maybe. Not everyone will get a set ... and I think w/ the current prices; it would be hard for anyone to sell theirs right away. I had anticipated the cost of the set to be $6,000 or so, but seeing as a the Pujols / Harper combo is likely to cost me half of that, it's not even close to the number.

Keep in mind this set is XX times harder to put together than the original because of the limited print run. I suspect only one or two sets will ever be put together so those one or two will be very very valuable long-term.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, that's a maybe. Not everyone will get a set ... and I think w/ the current prices; it would be hard for anyone to sell theirs right away. I had anticipated the cost of the set to be $6,000 or so, but seeing as a the Pujols / Harper combo is likely to cost me half of that, it's not even close to the number.

Keep in mind this set is XX times harder to put together than the original because of the limited print run. I suspect only one or two sets will ever be put together so those one or two will be very very valuable long-term.
That's true but what happens if only 1-2 sets get completed and the other 4 don't and in the end get liquidated?
I find this '93 ref set chase very interesting and I think it's great for the hobby so I'm rooting for the cards to sustain value.

CMB. My entire collection is up For Sale!!
Jopeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I can tell you that in order for all the set collectors to be happy ... six of each of these need to be seen.

Between some PC's and other people holding them, I just don't think many will be available after everyone gets what they're looking for. Look at the progression of David Wright refractors. Six have sold on eBay in this order

$135.00
$150.00 (Resold for $415.00 as the last sale)
$158.50
$175.00
$249.00
$315.00

To me; that shows that as these become rarer; they will only become more expensive. Most every of the 32 in this set have the same progression for the ones that have sold; so I think in a few years, you simply won't even be able to find them on the market.
All the progression shows is the current hype. The six of you are bidding each other up out of fear that if you don't you'll never get what you need to complete your sets. Just like with my earlier Elmo example, people were running each other over and punching each other out to get one. Granted they weren't limited /25 so that changes things but to be fair the baseball card collecting market is massively smaller.

The amount of collectors that will pony up for a /25 auto is even that much smaller. Even ones that don't have this refractor hype. As you post below (I read ahead) there are only likely to be two or so completed sets. That leaves the other four guys to sell theirs and quit driving up the other prices. These will come down in value. How much and how fast is the only question.