Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Thoughts on 1993 Finest Retro refractor prices

After a few rounds of auctions, we can finally get a decent idea of values for these cards.

REFRACTORS /25
-The top tier of players are selling for $100-$200. Trout, Mariano, Kershaw, Machado, Jofer.
-The second tier is $50-$100. Lincy, Yadi, Arod, Cespedes, Harvey, etc
-The lowest tier is $15-$50. Kinsler on the low end, stars and RC's like AGon, Howard, Bundy on the high end

ALL STAR REFRACTORS /10
-Harper sold for $327
-Several sales in the $200-$250 range. Posey, Miggy, Mauer, Prince (early $299 sale. Others were lower)
-The rest is pretty much a crap shoot. $54 for a Jered Weaver, up to $150 for Darvish and Wright. The rest are pretty level at $75-$125

Thoughts?

The pricing is pretty consistent with what 1993 Finest refs were at 20 years ago. The All Stars sold for the highest back then, mainly because the best players were part of the AS subset. Griffey, Nolan, Ripken, Sandberg, etc.

I doubt the new retro ones will ever hit what the originals did. Hell, at one point, the Cal was a $2400 card. The Ryan and Griffey still sell for nearly a grand each.

Considering how many other choices collectors have, the Retros seem to be holding their own. Back then, this was THE card to have
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think the prices on these have been disappointing but down the road they may gain some momentum. Topps definitely killed this product with delays. I'm picking up three cases tomorrow (long story) and barring a major hit this will be a loss.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Love the original 93 refractors so naturally I love these. Like he said above me, I think down the road prices for the AS refractors will climb as most will be tucked away into collections.
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a lot on ebay w/ 3 of those '93 finest ref/25 and no one seems to care.(Gio & Adrian Gonzalez and Billy Butler)
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Now we wait and see if they do it again next year ala 1993 style refractors every year in Finest. If so, paying an obscene amount for these seems silly, considering there are all kinds of /25 cards that go way way way lower...the orginal ones have value to me because they are the original, the new ones, while super cool, are not worth paying that obscene amount for to me.
ArsonCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsonCuff View Post
Now we wait and see if they do it again next year ala 1993 style refractors every year in Finest. If so, paying an obscene amount for these seems silly, considering there are all kinds of /25 cards that go way way way lower...the orginal ones have value to me because they are the original, the new ones, while super cool, are not worth paying that obscene amount for to me.
I doubt they do it again next year as this year marked the 20th anniversary of the original 1993 set so they wanted to mark that anniversary. Maybe in another 20 years?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

It helps that they are really tough pulls as well. Even the regular 1993 retro base cards are only coming 1:2 master boxes it seems.

A classic set with a modern player reboot. If it's one and done, or once every milestone year...these will be pretty solid long-term. If they do it every year, they'll drop drastically.
discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know at least one guy going for the set.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
I know at least one guy going for the set.
I'm building it. Slowly.

I built a PSA 8/9 '93 set by bottom feeding. I think I paid $600 for the Nolan 9 and under $8k for the entire set. It helped that I picked up 75 at one time.

I simply don't have the money to go all-out for the new set right now. I'm hoping the AS cards don't become impossible to find. I know NeedChapmans is doing the set. I've asked a few of the big Registry players if they're doing it. None are, or if they are they're being quiet about it.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

As a 90's collector I love seeing non auto/GU cards selling for good $.

ALSO BUYING LARGE LOTS FOR RESALE (90'S INSERTS PREFFERED) - ACCEPTING LOTS FOR CONSIGNMENT AS WELL
Brandt504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Holy cow- jeter/10 sold for 650. I assume this would be the priciest card in the set. Can this be a thousand dollar card soon?
Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Holy cow- jeter/10 sold for 650. I assume this would be the priciest card in the set. Can this be a thousand dollar card soon?
Was it on eBay? I can't find it.

I see no reason the Jeter can't be a $1000 card.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

On eBay, you can't see some completed auctions until the next day.

I was watching it.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
On eBay, you can't see some completed auctions until the next day.

I was watching it.
Now I see it. I don't know how I missed it when it was up.

Really surprised the Stanton ended for $256. It was the first one on eBay. I bought one from a guy on here. I paid $175. I was sure I overpaid
Old 10-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

just got $45 for Pedroia refractor /25. i thought it'd go for a little less (~$30) but Boston making the WS helped!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

There are 2 bidders getting into it on most of the AS /10s. They're pumping up almost every auction. I don't think anything nefarious is going on, they're just making it very expensive for everyone else. I was going to try for the set of All-Stars, but I'm going to wait until they're done buying. If I miss out, I miss out, but I can't compete with them. obviously there are a handful of others competing for the cards, but almost every auction ends with BR and CE at the top.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
There are 2 bidders getting into it on most of the AS /10s. They're pumping up almost every auction. I don't think anything nefarious is going on, they're just making it very expensive for everyone else. I was going to try for the set of All-Stars, but I'm going to wait until they're done buying. If I miss out, I miss out, but I can't compete with them. obviously there are a handful of others competing for the cards, but almost every auction ends with BR and CE at the top.
Well there's no B and R in ProspectCincy.

But there is a C and E. Damn.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

As long as there are only 2 guys pursuing the set, prices should get cheaper later.

But if there are 15 guys doing it, prices will continue to escalate- posey have gone up to 3-350.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt504 View Post
As a 90's collector I love seeing non auto/GU cards selling for good $.
Absolutely. It's pretty refreshing.

I actually think these retro refractors are selling pretty well. The first Jeter all star ended on a best offer listing the other day for a bundle of money.

I don't know how well these will hold value in the coming months but it would be nice for the hobby to make a slight push back into high end, non-auto inserts.

CMB. My entire collection is up For Sale!!
Jopeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Well there's no B and R in ProspectCincy.

But there is a C and E. Damn.
Good luck to you, sir. Just as an objective outsider, it looks like BR is pushing you for some reason (unless he just wants multiple copies of every card). If I remember correctly, he pumped up that Posey last night an hour after he won the one for $315 or whatever it went for. It seems like you're going about it much more rationally than he is.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
Good luck to you, sir. Just as an objective outsider, it looks like BR is pushing you for some reason (unless he just wants multiple copies of every card). If I remember correctly, he pumped up that Posey last night an hour after he won the one for $315 or whatever it went for. It seems like you're going about it much more rationally than he is.
He owns two Posey's already (pays $220 and $249 respectively) for the pair. He then bids $350 on each of the Posey's that went off last night. To be fair ... I pushed him on those two to make sure he paid the most possible because he's trying to own all 10 of Posey; so his set is the only set.

A solid strategy especially considering he now owns 4/10 of them. Finding one that he doesn't have will prove to be awfully difficult.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think the prices have been amazing...

we were lucky enough to pull harper to 10

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
He owns two Posey's already (pays $220 and $249 respectively) for the pair. He then bids $350 on each of the Posey's that went off last night. To be fair ... I pushed him on those two to make sure he paid the most possible because he's trying to own all 10 of Posey; so his set is the only set.

A solid strategy especially considering he now owns 4/10 of them. Finding one that he doesn't have will prove to be awfully difficult.
I had plans on trying to get all 10 Stantons, but didn't want to be a douche and prevent you from finishing your set
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have a Yadi /25. I was messaged on eBay to do $85 on an off eBay deal. Those types of deals scare me. I'll keep it at my bin and just sit on it
HeyFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

Kind of weak if you ask me, but it's his money, his world so whatever. What he's doing is working for now, because it turned me off of the set. Also risky, because if someone besides him ends up with another Posey, he'll never be able to recoup that money. I just hope you get one eventually.