Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cali
Posts: 852
Default

You guys think he looks like a mentally afflicted guy in a group home?...I'm going with it looks like he is at a card show.
ArsonCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
RobbinsDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 541
Default

He does show features of being "Special" and most definitely looks like an assisted living home.
RobbinsDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,822
Default

make his day and get his address and ship him all your commons...win win make him smile and get rid of your base lol
jerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 4,831
Default

Some real punks on here.

From what I can tell is this guy has a disorder and "people" here feel the need to slam him because he actually loves his collection and is recognized for it. Go take your negative nancy attitudes elsewhere. Give him a damn break. Lots of internet tough guys here
__________________
Selling everything. PM me who you want and Ill send you a list and prices
hagausaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
RobbinsDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagausaf View Post
Some real punks on here.

From what I can tell is this guy has a disorder and "people" here feel the need to slam him because he actually loves his collection and is recognized for it. Go take your negative nancy attitudes elsewhere. Give him a damn break. Lots of internet tough guys here
I don't think it is a slam on the guy at all but more on the author for not really telling the whole story... the way he went about the story about how he stores the cards in simple cardboard boxes and plastic bins as if that was an impressive way to store his collection. it is on the hands of the author to tell us the feel good story. as some have said willing to send this man some extra cards for him to cherish shows that is not the collector that we are having issues with
RobbinsDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
teosdesserts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,636
Default

Sellers - COMC

939,000 cards....
__________________
Orioles, Bruins,Celtics,Baseball HOFers Supercollecting Nick Markakis 33.3% non 1/1's
2009 spx game jersey autos (93%), 2011 Marquee Monumental Autos (61%), 2012 Cooperstown Signatures (20%)

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/teosdesserts/
teosdesserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
DaveTaplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Gardiner, Me
Posts: 1,211
Default

My email communication with the author of the story.

From: "Biles, Jan" <jan.biles@cjonline.com>
To: David Taplin <jack1757dave@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:29 AM
Subject: RE: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

How unfortunate that people have to be so negative. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I don't feel comfortable discussing Mr. Barrett without his consent.

Jan


-----Original Message-----
From: David Taplin [mailto:jack1757dave@yahoo.com]
Sent: Mon 10/21/2013 7:38 PM
To: Biles, Jan
Subject: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

A link to your story was posted on a large sports card forum. It almost immediately drew negative responses because Mr. Barrett has 28,000 cards. In terms of most collectors this is pretty low. People thought it was a ridiculous excuse for a story. Link to the forum thread is below my name.


I looked pretty close at the picture and I have a suspicion that Mr. Barrett may be facing some challenges that the majority of us can't even imagine. If my suspicions are correct then I am very sure that the members of this forum would rally together and be more than happy to send Mr. Barrett some very nice cards (especially the initial detractors).

If there is more to this story that you can tell us, I would appreciate that.

Dave Taplin
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
cnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
How unfortunate that people have to be so negative. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I don't feel comfortable discussing Mr. Barrett without his consent.

Jan
Sounds like confirmation to me.
__________________
Currently looking for all '14 FINEST STERLING RED /10 JETERS
- HAVE #1/10, #3/10, #7/10, #8/10 AND #9/10 -
cnewby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
TarjetasBéisbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 3,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
My email communication with the author of the story.

From: "Biles, Jan" <jan.biles@cjonline.com>
To: David Taplin <jack1757dave@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:29 AM
Subject: RE: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

How unfortunate that people have to be so negative. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I don't feel comfortable discussing Mr. Barrett without his consent.

Jan


-----Original Message-----
From: David Taplin [mailto:jack1757dave@yahoo.com]
Sent: Mon 10/21/2013 7:38 PM
To: Biles, Jan
Subject: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

A link to your story was posted on a large sports card forum. It almost immediately drew negative responses because Mr. Barrett has 28,000 cards. In terms of most collectors this is pretty low. People thought it was a ridiculous excuse for a story. Link to the forum thread is below my name.


I looked pretty close at the picture and I have a suspicion that Mr. Barrett may be facing some challenges that the majority of us can't even imagine. If my suspicions are correct then I am very sure that the members of this forum would rally together and be more than happy to send Mr. Barrett some very nice cards (especially the initial detractors).

If there is more to this story that you can tell us, I would appreciate that.

Dave Taplin
Thanks for reaching out to the author but why did you come at her with the negative angle? Why not just say that you saw the article and you wanted to know if some of us on the forum could help increase his collection?

No wonder she didn't want to share any information.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Bob Loblaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bright House Networks Field
Posts: 4,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
Take a good look at the picture with him in it. See if you still want to trash this story after looking closely.
I deduce that he's in a special needs home?
__________________
Buying your Phillies RC autos!
Bob Loblaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 637
Default

Someday he will sell the entire collection to a flea market dealer for $50
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
tajikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 13,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
Thanks for reaching out to the author but why did you come at her with the negative angle? Why not just say that you saw the article and you wanted to know if some of us on the forum could help increase his collection?

No wonder she didn't want to share any information.
My thought exactly...
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Bob Loblaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bright House Networks Field
Posts: 4,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinsDynasty View Post
I don't think it is a slam on the guy at all but more on the author for not really telling the whole story... the way he went about the story about how he stores the cards in simple cardboard boxes and plastic bins as if that was an impressive way to store his collection. it is on the hands of the author to tell us the feel good story. as some have said willing to send this man some extra cards for him to cherish shows that is not the collector that we are having issues with

It was a horribly written story, but... we're dealing with Topeka standards here. Everything seemed to be spelled correctly, so they've got that going for them...
__________________
Buying your Phillies RC autos!
Bob Loblaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 412
Default

Guys making fun of this man's collection also must like to kick puppies and laugh at all of Tom Rinaldi's human interest stories on ESPN.
jbhofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newton, KS
Posts: 277
Default

Wow, was the point of the story missed! He collects and this reminds him of time with Dad and Grandparents! Maybe the story also ties in the good days for Royals baseball with Brett playing. I think everyone collects partially because of childhood memories. And if your card collection is bigger... Nobody cares
4baseerror5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
XL5
Member
 
XL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,421
Default

This isn't supposed to be CNN breaking world news. It's local human interest. Here are more stories:
Jan Biles | CJOnline.com



I'm not sure I get all the hate. Are you guys jealous that this guy got ink in some paper/site in Topeka?
__________________
Want: 2010 Allen & Ginter N43 relics of Pujols, Markakis, Howard. Want: Konerko high-end, looking for any Konerko 2012 Topps S1 1/1s
My buckets: https://sites.google.com/site/xl5inventory/ My shipping: DC and mailed next business day. My LCSs: Elite Sports Cards, Chicago; Tim's Baseball Card Shop, Chicago
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NW Michigan
Posts: 1,288
Default

tough crowd
base set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
lazygambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: boiler room (got a few places)
Posts: 3,790
Default

Good for him! Collect on brother... Collect on
__________________
All my friends and their lovers know me as BDLM
lazygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Positivity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 229
Default

As a card shop owner in Topeka, I can honestly saw that I've never seen him. It does appear that he's a resident in a group home. I'm going to give the author of the story a call and see if there's any way I can help him with his collection like boxes, sleeves, top loaders, etc.

All that matters is that he enjoys collecting. The quantity or quality of his collection doesn't matter to anyone but him, and I absolutely respect that.
Positivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
89transam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: pottstown, pa...@phillieswonin08 on twitter
Posts: 1,928
Default

I think most of the problem is the lack of story to the story.

I've read it multiple times, and I feel like there's a lot of unanswered questions, the biggest being "why did this make news?"

if he's happy with his collection, then good for him. I understand the relation that collecting has to him and his dad. the story could have started off with more information, or ended with more information. perhaps there is a specific goal he has for his collection?

there is no depth to the writer's reporting.
__________________
collecting Robert Andino, Ben Revere, Brandon Boykin & Johnny Manziel
Mini Helmet Project 21/32 Teams http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/611419-mini-helmet-project.html#post6424801
"its not ok to not have your weight up and talk trash" -SEMPERFI
89transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Positivity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89transam View Post
I think most of the problem is the lack of story to the story.

I've read it multiple times, and I feel like there's a lot of unanswered questions, the biggest being "why did this make news?"

if he's happy with his collection, then good for him. I understand the relation that collecting has to him and his dad. the story could have started off with more information, or ended with more information. perhaps there is a specific goal he has for his collection?

there is no depth to the writer's reporting.
Like a previous poster said, it's simply a peronal interest story. Any newspaper in the country prints them. It's not exactly hard news the writer was going after. She probably has a friend of a friend who knew she wrote for the paper and made a suggestion to interview him.

To be honest, ANY positive spin is GOOD for the hobby. It's supposed to be fun, right?
Positivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Pete Schweddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: I am here <----
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positivity View Post
All that matters is that he enjoys collecting. The quantity or quality of his collection doesn't matter to anyone but him, and I absolutely respect that.
Wholeheartedly agree with this
__________________
Pete Schweddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 325
Default

I think its great but the bigger story for me is that its good that there are people who still appreciate base cards.
hofcollector2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospectorsadvantage View Post
I'd assume some case breakers of Draft have more cards then him. I opened a 06 case recently and have like 1500 base cards just lying in a box that I am too lazy to take to the dumpster.
You're seriously going to throw away base cards?
realshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
babyfaceposey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fresh out the womb
Posts: 4,451
Default

Cool. Guy has a bunch of base cards. End of story.
babyfaceposey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.