Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshemp View Post
You're seriously going to throw away base cards?
I burned about 100,000 base cards from 2011 product about 4 months ago.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaplin View Post
My email communication with the author of the story.

To: David Taplin <jack1757dave@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:29 AM
Subject: RE: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

How unfortunate that people have to be so negative. Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I don't feel comfortable discussing Mr. Barrett without his consent.

Jan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon 10/21/2013 7:38 PM
To: Biles, Jan
Subject: Topeka Resident w/ large collection.

A link to your story was posted on a large sports card forum. It almost immediately drew negative responses because Mr. Barrett has 28,000 cards. In terms of most collectors this is pretty low. People thought it was a ridiculous excuse for a story. Link to the forum thread is below my name.

I looked pretty close at the picture and I have a suspicion that Mr. Barrett may be facing some challenges that the majority of us can't even imagine. If my suspicions are correct then I am very sure that the members of this forum would rally together and be more than happy to send Mr. Barrett some very nice cards (especially the initial detractors).

If there is more to this story that you can tell us, I would appreciate that.

Dave Taplin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positivity View Post
As a card shop owner in Topeka, I can honestly saw that I've never seen him. It does appear that he's a resident in a group home. I'm going to give the author of the story a call and see if there's any way I can help him with his collection like boxes, sleeves, top loaders, etc.

All that matters is that he enjoys collecting. The quantity or quality of his collection doesn't matter to anyone but him, and I absolutely respect that.
I got in touch with the author of the article and she said she forwarded my email to the contact person for Mr. Barrett and that they should be getting in touch with me in the next few days. I plan on sending this guy some cards from his favorite team and also some base cards to expand his collection.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #53 (permalink)

Regardless of what the circumstances of the person is what this thread truly demonstrates is the true colors of a lot of people here. Im embarrassed and disappointed....
otter05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #54 (permalink)

Wow, the fact that people put down others in the hobby to justify their own collection is awful. That drives people away from these boards and the hobby, people need to be kinder in the hobby if they want membership to rise.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #55 (permalink)

And I will even add this, great story. Glad to see somebody nice is still in it for the fun.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerjo99 View Post
I got in touch with the author of the article and she said she forwarded my email to the contact person for Mr. Barrett and that they should be getting in touch with me in the next few days. I plan on sending this guy some cards from his favorite team and also some base cards to expand his collection.
Please contact me via PM when you get a mailing address, I would like to contribute to his collection.

Thanks
78yankees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #57 (permalink)

Why is it not okay to be critical of a story because you are uncomfortable discussing the the subject of the story? It's certainly not the same as being critical of the person. It's a silly and rather trite story.

Let's assume for a second that Mr. Barrett does has some sort of challenge and that baseball cards played an amazing role in his life, that is not the story the author wrote. She wrote a story about a guy with a lot of baseball cards and it comes across as poorly researched and poorly written. This is really terrible journalism. If this is a story that came to the authors attention, the author should have talked to the local card shop to see if there was anything interesting about it or done something in the way of research.

There is nothing wrong with a story that says something along the lines of "Richard Barrett, a 42 year old resident of Topeka, has faced some challenges in his life blah blah blah. But one thing that has taught him a valuable lesson is baseball cards." *excuse this for being poorly written but it is just to say that there are respectful ways of discussing disabilities or handicaps. Ways that do not exploit, mock, or degrade the subject and an even halfway competent journalist should be capable of doing so.

I'm sure the author would say "well he didn't want the story to be about his disability." That's his choice. It's your job to make the determination that there is no story at that point. I have no problem with "feel good" stories but this isn't one.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #58 (permalink)

Even if he doesn't have any disabilities, what is the point in making fun of him? It's not like he is claiming he has a unique or record breaking collection.

I don't have any sort of disability, and I collect regular old "worthless" base cards. Why? Partially because I enjoy TTM, but mainly because I get enjoyment out of the cards. Sure, they might not have any resale value, but owning them gives me enjoyment so I keep them. If you don't enjoy the same thing then don't collect base cards, but there is no need to be an internet tough guy because you have more value in your collection. I'm sure there are people with collections worth more than 99% of the people on here, but they don't laugh at all of your #/5 cards because they aren't superfractors.
13goyankees13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsonCuff View Post
You guys think he looks like a mentally afflicted guy in a group home?...I'm going with it looks like he is at a card show.
I know people are being really critical of how cold this board is right now but I think it speaks volumes that no one made the really obvious and fairly offensive joke presented by this statement. I say, good for us.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Axe

Quote:
yes, please send me a PM with info, would love to send him a package of cards.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbuch View Post
I know people are being really critical of how cold this board is right now but I think it speaks volumes that no one made the really obvious and fairly offensive joke presented by this statement. I say, good for us.
Totally. Buuuuuuut if you're looking at my statement the right way, for a card collector to make a joke involving this statement would be a joke directed at themself to a degree and the hobby in general instead of picking on this one sole fellow and making judgments about him for some reason....

Last edited by ArsonCuff; 10-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.
ArsonCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #62 (permalink)

The pic does look like he is in some sort of a nursing home...So,id give the guy a break!!!

Here another story about this guy from 2010 and again,the Bed in the pic looks like hes in an institution of some sort

http://gardnernews.com/local-collect...-in-thousands/

Last edited by katho54; 10-22-2013 at 07:19 PM.
katho54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
I got the same type of response from the author, when she sends me the info, I will post it in the thread.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #64 (permalink)

He is meticulous with his cards if you guys manage to send him a ton of cards he might feel overwhelmed.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #65 (permalink)

The author clearly did not present relevant information to the story if indeed this guy has 'special needs.' Otherwise, it really isn't a newsworthy story in any sense.

I don't get it...if the author tried to present the article as something truly inspiring, but left out any background information pertinent to that premise (other than him and his father collected cards together, which pretty much every collector in the universe has done), then that is some serious subpar journalism.

It's like creating an article about some guy running a 4.8 40, yet not including any picture or mentioning he has prosthetic legs.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #66 (permalink)

I bet there is more to the story, but I'm sure the authors of the 2 articles had left out that info for good reasons.

I would like to send him a surprise package of cards also.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcollecting View Post
He is meticulous with his cards if you guys manage to send him a ton of cards he might feel overwhelmed.
Would anyone be willing to throw funds in to get him a case? He can not only get base, but the chance at some good pulls.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katho54 View Post
The pic does look like he is in some sort of a nursing home...So,id give the guy a break!!!

Here another story about this guy from 2010 and again,the Bed in the pic looks like hes in an institution of some sort

Local collection numbers baseball cards in thousands
"He said that he can’t imagine discontinuing his hobby, and doesn’t know when his collection will feel complete, even if he comes to own the one that has eluded him, a Nolan Ryan Texas Rangers card."

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/teosdesserts/
teosdesserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceposey View Post
Would anyone be willing to throw funds in to get him a case? He can not only get base, but the chance at some good pulls.
I'd be in on this idea!
royprice31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
Thanks for reaching out to the author but why did you come at her with the negative angle? Why not just say that you saw the article and you wanted to know if some of us on the forum could help increase his collection?

No wonder she didn't want to share any information.
You are right. My intention was stop people from bashing him and try to see if we could help. Looking at what I wrote, I completely agree with you. It was poorly written.

As to why I wrote it the way I did, here is the honest answer:

I saw the comments jumping on him last night and was concerned there was something bigger at play. I wanted to diffuse the thread before it went to far. I emailed the author very quickly. I spent about 5 minutes writing it. The truth is I have pretty bad Attention Deficit Disorder. Usually anything I write I read, reread and then do it again. I rewrite every sentence multiple times.

If I don't slow down I end up typing the scattered thoughts that are in my head. If took my time writing that last night (and I should have) then I would have written half the words and it would have been well written. To type the email as I should have, I would have probably spent more than an hour getting it right.

I appreciate you posting this. I feel really bad because I really was trying to do something good. I need to be reminded every now and then to slow down and unfortunately this is one of those times.

(This post took me 21 minutes)

Last edited by DaveTaplin; 10-22-2013 at 09:15 PM.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #71 (permalink)

As I said in my first post- "good for him" and I meant that in a positive way.

I did not know of his situation and I would gladly send him some cards. As a matter of fact I go to Topeka on occasion and if I can get the address of the home he is at I'll bring him a bunch of stuff.

Please pass along his address, thanks, Jim
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #72 (permalink)

First of all, this happens all the time. One person says something negative and more people pile on. Doesn't matter what it's about. Those claiming the people on the board suck or whatever, it is what it is. This will happen again and again. How often does someone post a not-so interesting post and 10 people have to say, "who cares?" instead of ignoring it.

I did not see one person insulting the individual in the story. I used to write puff journalism. In 2003, I was the weekend reporter for a local paper and I covered such exciting stories as, an Easter egg hunt, a guy's 100th birthday party, a sled hockey (for handicapped children) game, and many a carnival and fair. So I know about puff pieces.

This article stunk. The article simply said, as stated by others, "this guy has 28,000 cards, which is a huge amount, they remind him of his father and he puts them in bins."

That's it. So card collectors and dealers who have 280,000 or more cards think, "big flippin' deal, I have more than 28,000 1988 Donruss cards laying around in my attic." This makes them criticize this horrendous story.

Whether the person involved is in a group home or not, those all of a sudden high and mighty how nobody should criticize the article because he might be in a group home, how the hell were we supposed to know by reading the article? Was I staring at his picture trying to see what was in the background? No, I read a lousy article about a dude with 28,000 baseball cards wondering why it was news.

Now I wasn't one of the people to post negative things here, but when I read this, I marveled at how dumb of an article it was.

Bottom line, I would hope if anyone on here knew this story was about a guy who is mentally challenged uses baseball cards to give himself a happier life, well I certainly hope they wouldn't criticize him. But that is not what happened and that is not what the article is about.

Sorry whateveryournameis, you don't write well enough to be a yahoo contributor, and I think all you need is a pulse to get that gig!
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter05 View Post
Regardless of what the circumstances of the person is what this thread truly demonstrates is the true colors of a lot of people here. Im embarrassed and disappointed....
Well, I'm sure this story was targeted at non-sports card folk and some people on here are too smart for their own good. Nothing wrong with that. No need to be rude about it. It's like a college biology professor laughing at a elementary students' science project. Just take it for what it is.
AwesomeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
tough crowd
That basically sums up this forum as a whole.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceposey View Post
I burned about 100,000 base cards from 2011 product about 4 months ago.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote