Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default For the Puig haters

Puig Hits A Home Run In The Community - Lasorda's Lair - A Los Angeles Dodgers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

A little late? This was on MLB.com last week
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I missed this... thanks for posting OP.
bigbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

The team set the whole thing up. they are trying to rebuild his image. It's not LA fans he has a problem with, its the players around the league and fans of baseball that watched him play, with his own rules, like the mlb was lucky to have him. He also didnt help himself by having a really bad second half and playing bad in the sereis against STL and having 2(really 3) errors in the final game.

Most people, including myself, hope he turns it around and is the real deal. He is young and has a lot of talent, but he needs to change the way he acts on the field. The team/counsel setting up days for him to play with fans/children makes him look good on tv, but it doesnt prove and changes have been made.
gmsieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsieb View Post
Most people, including myself, hope he turns it around and is the real deal. He is young and has a lot of talent, but he needs to change the way he acts on the field. The team/counsel setting up days for him to play with fans/children makes him look good on tv, but it doesnt prove and changes have been made.
Very well said, 100% agree
WASbalPSU13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

These are all set up by teams/Public relations, we're in an age where charity donations are part of signed contracts. With that said, who cares if he's arrogant on the field? He's fun to watch, need more players like him, not less.
Current Non-Sports FS Thread including Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy and more! http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports-singles-buy-sell-trade/786317-updated-fs-thread-sons-anarchy-walking-dead-game-thrones-breaking-bad-etc.html
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

He reminds me of Bryce Harper in his cockiness
DJ3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ3k View Post
He reminds me of Bryce Harper in his cockiness
I agree. He catches a lot more grief for it though.

CMB. My entire collection is up For Sale!!
Jopeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Baseball popularity will continue to wane with the general public if 2 things don't happen:

1) speed up the game

2) stop the retribution (by other players) and negativity (by media/some fans/other players) towards players who show excitement and emotion on the field.

Just my opinion....
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just hate puig cause he has mood swings. Sometimes he is so happy and sometimes he just doesnt try.
matvoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Baseball popularity will continue to wane with the general public if 2 things don't happen:

1) speed up the game

2) stop the retribution (by other players) and negativity (by media/some fans/other players) towards players who show excitement and emotion on the field.

Just my opinion....
This is particularly annoying IMO. It's like football killing endzone celebrations. Let the guys do what they want and if the other team doesn't like it, play better. I mean, you don't want these guys being obnoxious, but the sport will police itself by whatever means necessary, be it clubhouse influence or the opposing pitcher putting one in someone's leg.
D-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

I look at Puig like this ... he was probably a highly praised super-star in Cuba and told that all his life and it obviously gets in his head ... then when he comes to the big stage get the rude awakening and he realizes that there are many other player with similar backgrounds ... I think he'll have to go through a transition period now and one day he will have learned how childish his behaviour was in the early part of his career ... Lets hope he will be great and we can all watch it from start to finish ...
Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

I hope he rebuilds his image but, as of right now, it's hard for me to root for him. Jose Fernandez is so much easier to root for (for me), and I'm wondering if that had something to do with him winning ROY (not that he needed it, as he was statistically superior, but many people had pegged Puig as the ROY despite the stats).

I am currently accepting requests for sketch card commissions.
jrosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Why do people have such a problem with some flair on the field?

Do you watch football? Do you enjoy it? Because every single play has some clownbag doing a dance, screaming, yelling, jumping up and down as if they won the super bowl. Why is there no outcry over it? How about Ray Lewis and all his antics, dances, and flat out idiotic or in some of your works "arrogant" behavior. Do you have a problem with it?

I am a baseball fan through and through, played in college, worked in MLB, but still can't wrap my arms around the fact that people hold all MLB players to a higher standard.

Why is that?
Ballerskrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

The only problem I have with Puig is when he doesn't hustle. Other than that everything is fine IMO. That being said I was a fan while he was in the minors but with all the band wagon fans I am over him! haha
wwejhardyrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwejhardyrox View Post
The only problem I have with Puig is when he doesn't hustle. Other than that everything is fine IMO. That being said I was a fan while he was in the minors but with all the band wagon fans I am over him! haha
Agreed. I'm a Dodger fan, so I'm obviously biased, but as a fan I enjoy his enthusiasm and energy. Puig brings a youthful exuberance to the game that I think is refreshing and adds excitement. It's just not traditional, which I think is what sets people off. They see it as disrespecting the game.

It's fun to watch because whenever he gets a chance he always tries to make a play. He doesn't grant anyone anything. Always trying to take 2nd on a solid single. How many guys hustle down the line like he does trying to take another base? No one, and it pisses the other players off. "Take your base and be done with it" is what they are thinking, but he puts pressure on the defense and makes them work hard every time he puts the ball in play.

And the guy has a friggin canon for an arm! He's made some just awesome throws nailing guys.

Yes, his youthfulness also brings bone-headedness, too. He's had some real brain farts out there, in the field and on the base pads. But he is never boring.

It's funny that he takes so much heat, because he doesn't pop off at the mouth like some other jerks do. He just lets his play do the talking. I'll take a Puig and his enthusiasm (even with the blown plays) over a Brian McCann and his bad attitude any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And yes, that whole video was a set up event by the Dodgers. They could have sent Uribe or Gonzales or Gordon, but they asked Puig. He's not dumb, I'm sure his reps were begging for PR opportunities.