Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Global Shipping Program eBay

I just bougth a card on eBay that was BIN or Best Offer.

I submitted a best offer.

It was countered to $85 plus shipping and import charges.
I countered a last time of $85 with the terms of Shipping included.

I find out he can't change the invoice becuase he's using Globabl Shipping?

I end up having to pay $111...

Who else has had issues with Gloabl Shipping? I see it as a benefit only to the seller.

Does it make sense to use it then?

Signed,
Frustrated customer
RichardGasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Global shipping is for more sellers to ship globally, but the buyer is responsible for the additional shipping on top of what the seller is charging for domestic shipping. eBay runs the global shipping program and calculates everything on top of the seller and charges the buyer that. seller is not involved in that upcharge. This includes import duties, etc.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

As a fellow international buyer, if I ever see an item that uses that program I avoid it. It's never worth it.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeHHH View Post
As a fellow international buyer, if I ever see an item that uses that program I avoid it. It's never worth it.
I just read the help section on eBay's site for Global.

Just seems like more risk. Card is being shipped elsewhere before it gets to you. Higher chances of being damaged along the way, or even lost?

IMO it doesn't make sense, and I asked for the transaction to be reversed.

Live and learn, but yes, I will be avoiding Global Shipped listings as well from now on.

Too bad...was a nice card.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to zepzoso Send a message via Yahoo to zepzoso

Quote:
Please elaborate how its "not worth it"?
zepzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepzoso View Post
BECAUSE IT PROTECTS THE SELLER

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGasner View Post
I just read the help section on eBay's site for Global.

Just seems like more risk. Card is being shipped elsewhere before it gets to you. Higher chances of being damaged along the way, or even lost?

IMO it doesn't make sense, and I asked for the transaction to be reversed.

Live and learn, but yes, I will be avoiding Global Shipped listings as well from now on.

Too bad...was a nice card.

It doesn't make sense to YOU as a buyer, but to ME as a seller it makes perfect sense. I ship the card to eBay with delivery confirmation (and signature if it's over $250) and then I am not responsible for it. No chargebacks, no item not received, no claiming damage to try and get back a % of the purchase price. Not saying you would ever do that, but a lot of international buyers do. It's near 100% protection for the seller, at the buyers expense.

As a seller if I lose buyers because I'm part of the global shipping program, I am perfectly fine with that. I would rather lose a buyer than ship a card and have a buyer claim they didn't get it.

Now what I can't stand are buyers who completely ignore auction details. I make sure to put that I use the eBay global shipping program and warn buyers to research what their shipping and import taxes will be BEFORE buying, but I still have people hit the buy it now then complain that shipping it too high. They don't understand that I cannot change shipping costs once they hit buy it now.

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 12-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
It doesn't make sense to YOU as a buyer, but to ME as a seller it makes perfect sense. I ship the card to eBay with delivery confirmation (and signature if it's over $250) and then I am not responsible for it. No chargebacks, no item not received, no claiming damage to try and get back a % of the purchase price. Not saying you would ever do that, but a lot of international buyers do. It's near 100% protection for the seller, at the buyers expense.

As a seller if I lose buyers because I'm part of the global shipping program, I am perfectly fine with that. I would rather lose a buyer than ship a card and have a buyer claim they didn't get it.

Now what I can't stand are buyers who completely ignore auction details. I make sure to put that I use the eBay global shipping program and warn buyers to research what their shipping and import taxes will be BEFORE buying, but I still have people hit the buy it now then complain that shipping it too high. They don't understand that I cannot change shipping costs once they hit buy it now.
I agree with part of what you're saying and I get the reasoning behind it.

But you are wrong when you say that it protects the seller from any possibility of a buyer claiming damage to a card...Is eBay opening up the package before it's reshipped?

I now have to calculate not only the value of the card plus shipping of x amount of dollars, I now have to add $15 for import???

All they're doing is preventing sales, imo.

If you're gonna have a a$#hole buying a card to try to scam the system, it's going to happen anyway.

There are ways to ship, economically, with tracking, insurance and having the buyer sign in order to receive to prove shipment received.

As for the comment about reading comments....if somebody puts an offer in on an item of $100 and in the Term of Offer puts 'Including shipping', then I'm not sure that if you put

"I make sure to put that I use the eBay global shipping program and warn buyers to research what their shipping and import taxes will be BEFORE buying" in your comments, that they matter anymore
Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
It costs $6.55-$8.55 to ship a card with tracking in a bubble mailer from the US to Canada. I recently made a purchase on here for roughly 16 cards valued at about $200. The postage paid in that transaction was $6.55. If I were to buy a $200 card through the Global Shipping Program I would be paying close to $70 in shipping an import fees (which they charge upfront).

As the import fees are a variable cost, eBay charges more as the value goes up, therefore making it never worth it.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
It costs $6.55-$8.55 to ship a card with tracking in a bubble mailer from the US to Canada. I recently made a purchase on here for roughly 16 cards valued at about $200. The postage paid in that transaction was $6.55. If I were to buy a $200 card through the Global Shipping Program I would be paying close to $70 in shipping an import fees (which they charge upfront).

As the import fees are a variable cost, eBay charges more as the value goes up, therefore making it never worth it.
For the price of $6.55 - $8.55 the seller DOES NOT GET DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. There will be tracking, but it never says the magic word "DELIVERED" on international shipments at that price point. Which means you say you didnt get cards I the seller have NO PROOF they were delivered. So you get free cards - The seller gets bent over. I have personally lost ebay cases this way.

Last edited by zepzoso; 12-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

The tracking to Candada does say delivered though
CCSportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSportsCards View Post
The tracking to Candada does say delivered though
If that is the case, I stand corrected. Quite a few other countries that is not the case at the $7 to $9 price point.

Last edited by zepzoso; 12-07-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

For sellers this program is awesome. I stopped shipping international because of the increase in shipping prices and getting dinged on DSR. Now if someone international wants to purchase they can and I ship domestically. No more worries of damage from shipping or lost in the mail or getting dinged on DSR.
Robk891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
For the price of $6.55 - $8.55 the seller DOES NOT GET DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. There will be tracking, but it never says the magic word "DELIVERED" on international shipments at that price point. Which means you say you didnt get cards I the seller have NO PROOF they were delivered. So you get free cards - The seller gets bent over. I have personally lost ebay cases this way.
Your are completely wrong here. What would be the point of tracking if it didn't say delivered?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Your are completely wrong here. What would be the point of tracking if it didn't say delivered?
In my experience sometimes it says delivered others....nothing. I actually doubled checked...they all show delivered. This is much better than when it first started!! Sorry !

Last edited by Robk891; 12-07-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Robk891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Things could have changed, but they absolutely used to give no guarantee of actual "tracking" beyond the United States on the lower-tiered international delivery.
It would be $30-40 or whatever to ensure updates all along the way, which most buyer's didn't want to pay, which is why I blocked all bids outside the U.S.

Like I said, things certainly could have changed, but that was the case, and it was that lack of protection that caused me (and I'm sure many other sellers) to stop shipping outside of the U.S. That is good to hear though then that along with the price increases, they may have actually improved the service to Canada.
rymflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymflaherty View Post
Things could have changed, but they absolutely used to give no guarantee of actual "tracking" beyond the United States on the lower-tiered international delivery.
It would be $30-40 or whatever to ensure updates all along the way, which most buyer's didn't want to pay, which is why I blocked all bids outside the U.S.

Like I said, things certainly could have changed, but that was the case, and it was that lack of protection that caused me (and I'm sure many other sellers) to stop shipping outside of the U.S. That is good to hear though then that along with the price increases, they may have actually improved the service to Canada.
This is true,neither the USPS or Canada Post are obligated to scan the package.
Someone months back had posted that info in this section.Rates go up again next month.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymflaherty View Post

Tracking hasn't updates for me (as a buyer) once. But most of the time I never check for updates. Although carriers are not obligated to scan the package, they almost always do.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robk891 View Post
For sellers this program is awesome. I stopped shipping international because of the increase in shipping prices and getting dinged on DSR. Now if someone international wants to purchase they can and I ship domestically. No more worries of damage from shipping or lost in the mail or getting dinged on DSR.
Any out of country order doesn't mess with your DSRs anymore either. Or feedback for that matter. I had a guy overseas buy a card said it never made it but never went to paypal about it. They left a negative and nothing changed at all
CCSportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote