Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
I like Sickels but he doesnt see most of the guys he scouts in person
...I highly doubt many of the self-proclaimed "experts" on here do, either
ClueHeywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuhn3 View Post
Here is a comprehensive analysis of every Angel and Brewer on the list.......
I hope Tyrone Taylor makes next years lists. Parks says he likes him just not quite good enough to make this years list.

Another year like they had last year, I think Vogelbach and Bird have a shot at the back 50 of the 101.

Super Collecting Greg Bird first basemen or Building the biggest and best collection I can... PM me with any Bird cards you may want to get rid of with prices...

Last edited by StlScott; 01-27-2014 at 08:34 PM.
StlScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClueHeywood View Post
and that starts with someone with a "J"
mwash1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Of course not, I know they dont. But BP/BA/Keith Law do.

As much as I like Sickels, I dont take his word over the others.

I do not ask for much, but please leave feedback if everything goes well with our deal.
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #80 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Of course not, I know they dont. But BP/BA/Keith Law do.

As much as I like Sickels, I dont take his word over the others.
My experience with evaluating talent peaked when I used to write for rivals.com in college. Most of my scouting reports came from grainy camcorder footage from parents and high schools. Other than that, I had to rely on stats.

With the advent of HD recording devices, YouTube, social media, etc, does actually watching a game in person really matter anymore? I can find hours of footage on Kris Bryant with a 2 second Google search; including iPhone vids of full at-bats.

How can an actual scout who sits in the stands have any more insight than me, you, John Sickels, or anyone else nowadays?
ClueHeywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
My experience with evaluating talent peaked when I used to write for rivals.com in college. Most of my scouting reports came from grainy camcorder footage from parents and high schools. Other than that, I had to rely on stats.

With the advent of HD recording devices, YouTube, social media, etc, does actually watching a game in person really matter anymore? I can find hours of footage on Kris Bryant with a 2 second Google search; including iPhone vids of full at-bats.

How can an actual scout who sits in the stands have any more insight than me, you, John Sickels, or anyone else nowadays?
How do you scout Kris Bryant's defense if you never saw him play in person? You can't tell body language from video, you have to see it live.
chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Another observation:

1) Metsplaya is going to be crying real tears
amazing how much of a troll you have become. (and all of the other people on here who followed. At least cj Edwards is the talk of the board now. I am not crying because like I said I already made money on cj, anything else is extra. Honestly I want to see him dominate just so he can change peoples minds on here, well see.

I am so excited to see what Edwards does this season now just because almost 99 percent of this board doubts him, yet I see tons of people buying him in their chrome auto buying threads, hmmm
metsplaya123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
He viciously rides CJ Edwards jock, and BP has him at 81
..?.'xmdklsjfkwlskcnakksns

Good one

Last edited by metsplaya123; 01-28-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseve43 View Post
I like seeing Baez at #4. Seems no one wants to put him that high due to the risk factor, but the guy flat out raked in 2013 and his ceiling is about as high as anyone's...so why not?

Still not a fan of Lindor...I don't see him being an impact player at the ML level. Then again, I think more in terms of card value than baseball value. He will be a way better baseball player than he is a card investment.

Gregory Polanco is top 10 material.

Yordano doesn't belong in the top 35. Way too high.

As for the CJ argument going on in this thread:
CJ Edwards is WAY too low. I'm definitely higher on him than some, but not to crack the top 50 is a joke given what he's done so far. I'd have him in the 25-40 range. Yes, durability is a concern given his size, but the guy has flat-out dominated everywhere he's been since turning pro. This will be the make or break season for him as a prospect...his 2013 couldn't have possibly been better but now it's time to do it against the upper levels of the Minors.
agree

don't agree

agree

agree

agree
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsplaya123 View Post
amazing how much of a troll you have become. (and all of the other people on here who followed. At least cj Edwards is the talk of the board now. I am not crying because like I said I already made money on cj, anything else is extra. Honestly I want to see him dominate just so he can change peoples minds on here, well see.

I am so excited to see what Edwards does this season now just because almost 99 percent of this board doubts him, yet I see tons of people buying him in their chrome auto buying threads, hmmm
You set yourself up for ridicule when you speak irrationally and make contradictory statements like when you said that MLB.com sucks and should "stick to MLB" only because they aren't high on Edwards, and then proceed to talk about how BA is all that matters, while ignoring the obvious fact that BA's head guy is now at MLB.com. And how convenient of you to ignore the parts where I admitted that Edwards was ranked way too low and that he had filthy stuff. You'd be fine if you didn't try to discredit everyone who doesn't like the guy as much as you do.
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #86 (permalink)

Hard ot take a list seriously that has Sano #14:/

Quote:
Thoughts.....

1) Walker over Bradley as #1 pitcher? I don't strongly disagree, just seems to go against most other prospect resources

3) Hedges at 18 just seems absurdly high
Bradley has abetter ceiling but he was wild as hell at times says the person who put mad dough into him, and it scares me. Can't walk people at the highest levels. And as the owner of a Hedges Gold 9.5 Auto, I'm happy but I totally agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
Thanks for posting. You have to be up early to beat Jaypers at this sort of thing! First thoughts...

Too Low: My Guys
Too High: CJ Edwards
I like Edwards

Don't be so hard on me, I'm already a Knick fan!
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Jaypers said in his top 100 post that he looks at stats, he never said he watches them in person.
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #88 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs_rock21 View Post
Jaypers said in his top 100 post that he looks at stats, he never said he watches them in person.
I don't rely on stats alone; that would be silly and ignorant. I read as many online scouting reports as I can find and watch videos of them as well.

And I hope I'm not being referred to as a "so-called expert" - I'm no expert in any sense of the word. Never claimed otherwise.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #89 (permalink)

I rely on Callis, Sickels, Jaypers and others. I also analyze stats, scouting reports and I watch games. When it really comes down to it, we're attempting to predict something that cannot be reliably predicted, so what does it really matter how we go about it? And we can listen to the experts all we want, but in reality, there is valuable information from everyone from Jim Callis down to some little-read blogger who cares about his favorite team.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
I don't rely on stats alone; that would be silly and ignorant. I read as many online scouting reports as I can find and watch videos of them as well.

And I hope I'm not being referred to as a "so-called expert" - I'm no expert in any sense of the word. Never claimed otherwise.
I look at you more as an "information aggregator", is that fair/accurate?
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #91 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
I look at you more as an "information aggregator", is that fair/accurate?
I can live with that.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post

To JP's defense, I have never ever seem him boast or brag or play himself off as being better or more knowing than anyone else when it came to prospects. I think some do unnecessarily put him on a pedestal and that that's why some think maybe he considers himself an expert. I know of one board member who said to me in a PM "JP is a professional scout and the baseball card proves it." The occasional post by a board member where they post "I wonder JP thinks of this list/ranking" adds to that. I kind of chuckle and I'm sure JP does too when reading those type of posts.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #93 (permalink)

I always enjoy pulling out my magazines and finding old rankings from previous years and seeing how incredibly wrong the experts really are.

Not meant as a rip on them, just meant to show how incredibly hard it is to predict the future.

I would love to see someone post rankings and saw "Buxton is nothing more than a glorified Cameron Maybin," "Oscar Taveras career numbers will not even match those of Jermaine Dye," Mike Foltynewicz is the next Pete Harnisch at best," Jesue Montero career numbers will fall short to those of Matt Nokes," and "LA SS Seager will never hit above .250 in the majors"

There's a better chance predictions like that will hold true
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseve43 View Post
I like seeing Baez at #4. Seems no one wants to put him that high due to the risk factor, but the guy flat out raked in 2013 and his ceiling is about as high as anyone's...so why not?

Still not a fan of Lindor...I don't see him being an impact player at the ML level. Then again, I think more in terms of card value than baseball value. He will be a way better baseball player than he is a card investment.

Gregory Polanco is top 10 material.

Yordano doesn't belong in the top 35. Way too high.

As for the CJ argument going on in this thread:
CJ Edwards is WAY too low. I'm definitely higher on him than some, but not to crack the top 50 is a joke given what he's done so far. I'd have him in the 25-40 range. Yes, durability is a concern given his size, but the guy has flat-out dominated everywhere he's been since turning pro. This will be the make or break season for him as a prospect...his 2013 couldn't have possibly been better but now it's time to do it against the upper levels of the Minors.
As a Cubs fan, Seems they went with Baez at 4 via his hitting. Baez is easily best hitting SS prospect but not one of the best on defense. It will improve as he moves up but seems like they went more hitting for him. Also CJE is way too low at 81, They just want to get their name into prospects listings but more people use MLB or BA anyway so it's really all moot.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
I always enjoy pulling out my magazines and finding old rankings from previous years and seeing how incredibly wrong the experts really are.
That's the thing....they aren't "wrong". The rankings represent the best idea of what potential each prospect holds. The potential was always there....it really existed....it just didn't come to fruition. That's the thing about potential....it doesn't always actualize.
texgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgator View Post
That's the thing....they aren't "wrong". The rankings represent the best idea of what potential each prospect holds. The potential was always there....it really existed....it just didn't come to fruition. That's the thing about potential....it doesn't always actualize.
This guy gets it
StraWMyerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #97 (permalink)

I like the aggressive ranking on Ventura and Giolito. Polanco seems a little low to me.

This is good list, especially since they have Rosario at 60.
shayscards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayscards79 View Post
I like the aggressive ranking on Ventura and Giolito. Polanco seems a little low to me.

I was just about to say the same thing. I thought he would easily make some top 100's this year.
Rufusyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayscards79 View Post

Speaking of Polanco....everyone knows Gregory is a great prospect but what does everyone think about Jorge Polanco? Is it just me or is he one of the biggest sleepers out there right now?? Sure he may never hit for power but the kid has definitely shown some tools and plays in the infield....I have a feeling he may be in line for an Alen Hanson type breakout this year.
StraWMyerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #100 (permalink)

Kyle Hendricks. He will never be ranked in anyones top 200. But I want all of you to remember that name.