Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
There are more than 200 if you count the insert autos (Buxton, etc.).

I know it's tempting to think there could be a false advertisement case here, but nothing can be proven.

Exactly my point. For those who collect football, it says "Find rookie ticket autographs featuring the top rookies of 2013" on the blaster box of contenders. Well those who collect this know that you can't pull autos of the top tier guys. For EEE and contenders, these are blanket statements for the entire production run. That simple.
bulljh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Isn't it about time Panini admits to doing this? If it says you can get all the cards on the front of the box shouldn't you actually be able to? I don't open a box of lucky charms and find it devoid of marshmallows. If I wanted a cereal without them I would be cheerios.

I will find answers.

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulljh View Post
[/B]

Exactly my point. For those who collect football, it says "Find rookie ticket autographs featuring the top rookies of 2013" on the blaster box of contenders. Well those who collect this know that you can't pull autos of the top tier guys. For EEE and contenders, these are blanket statements for the entire production run. That simple.
As someone who doesnt' collect football, this practice is shocking to me. The false advertisement is ridiculous. If the product offers the top rookies, I expect to have a reasonable expectation to pull the top rookies. If I open my box of Raisin Bran which promises two scoops of raisins, but get 5 sad pathetic looking dried grapes, I'm not going to be happy.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
As someone who doesnt' collect football, this practice is shocking to me. The false advertisement is ridiculous. If the product offers the top rookies, I expect to have a reasonable expectation to pull the top rookies. If I open my box of Raisin Bran which promises two scoops of raisins, but get 5 sad pathetic looking dried grapes, I'm not going to be happy.
The biggest difference is that, while Contenders FB retail doesn't contain any of the "top" rookies, it frequently contains SP and SSP autos, which go for big money. I dropped $540 on Contenders retail last year ... 15 autos, two of which paid for the break. It's a totally different animal than EEE baseball retail.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ah! But do you get two scoops of raisins in one of those travel size boxes? Nope! Is that false advertising? To your logic it is.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Ah! But do you get two scoops of raisins in one of those travel size boxes? Nope! Is that false advertising? To your logic it is.
Okay, you're taking an analogy and twisting it to where it doesn't make sense anymore. However, to play your game, I'd expect at least SOME decent amount of raisins in proportion to the amount of bran flakes I get, a ratio similar to the ratio in the big box. In our situation, there ain't no raisins in these boxes.

Nowhere in the Elite packaging does it indicate that "if you buy this retail box, you stand virtually no chance of getting one of the good players". I don't see how Panini's actions are the least bit defensible.

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-28-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Bob Loblaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #32 (permalink)

If you sold a product, would you state that?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

There were SSP's in contenders?????NO there wasn't, what happened is that people thought there were SSP's early when none of those cards were found in hobby packs and then when retail came out those cards were in there and those early cards went for big money to idiot collectors.

Leaving out the top rookies in these boxes is wrong. Plain and simple. Those who have excuse after excuse just open yourself up to more disappointment.

I'm still waiting for the obligatory "if you don't like it, don't buy it"

Kevin
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
If you sold a product, would you state that?
I wouldn't state it because I wouldn't do it.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post
There were SSP's in contenders?????NO there wasn't, what happened is that people thought there were SSP's early when none of those cards were found in hobby packs and then when retail came out those cards were in there and those early cards went for big money to idiot collectors.
Sorry man ... I completely agree with what you're saying about the EEE blasters ... but the quoted is completely untrue. I pulled a Michael Brockers variation from a Contenders blaster last year. They were SSP'd to 25, and as far as I know they were exclusive to retail.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:

Leaving out the top rookies in these boxes is wrong. Plain and simple. Those who have excuse after excuse just open yourself up to more disappointment.

I'm still waiting for the obligatory "if you don't like it, don't buy it"

Kevin
Actually there were SSP in contenders. Cracked ice out of /21 would be considered a SSP in my book and plenty of them are being pulled. It's the same with someone pulling an emerald auto out of EEE. It is still considered an SSP. It's the names that suck in both products.

On a personal note, I have always thought retail was crap. I would never expect to hit an auto of someone big. If I did though, I would consider myself extremely lucky.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #37 (permalink)

brockers had 25 short prints in retail contenders, cards that still sit unsigned...congrats you proved me wrong...I guess.....

I love the fact that you can pull MORE than what was promised on the box, but why print a lie on the other side of the box? That is false....and why does my 30 dollars I spend on retail count any less than 30 bucks at the card store?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
If the back of the pack says that you can pull 200 different autographs, then you better be able to pull 200 different autographs.
Not true. Last year Panini Elite Extra retail said the same on their boxes but it was proven you couldn't pull a vast majority of the better players in retail.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
Not true. Last year Panini Elite Extra retail said the same on their boxes but it was proven you couldn't pull a vast majority of the better players in retail.
Not that I don't believe you -- I do -- but where was this proven?

And if this is the case, why wasn't a bigger stink made about this? Was Panini confronted? They seem to have a bigger hobby face/presence than Topps does.

And, for what it's worth, this is something I expect from the little guys -- the Leafs, the Paninis, the ... well, that's it. I don't expect this from Topps.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
I love the fact that you can pull MORE than what was promised on the box, but why print a lie on the other side of the box? That is false....and why does my 30 dollars I spend on retail count any less than 30 bucks at the card store?
That's just it ... the blasters are LOADED ... with crap. So Panini knowingly advertises 2 autos, knowingly puts 3 in most of them to make you feel special ... and knows all along that you can't pull Frazier, Meadows, Bryant, Katoh, Gray, Appel, Franco, or any other 'good' name.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #41 (permalink)

I'm
Craving cereal but think I'm out of boo berry and frankenberry
Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
brockers had 25 short prints in retail contenders, cards that still sit unsigned...congrats you proved me wrong...I guess.....

Hobby has always and will always trump retail. Retail is your redheaded step-child of the hobby. I find it truly pathetic when I see someone post that they "beat the odds, 1:2000" by pulling a jersey card that might get you 50 cents. I get it, some of you guys don't have the luxury of having an LCS near you, but you can still order on-line. Sorry, rant over
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

Did one blaster today, #200 Amaurys Minier /675, #26 Dace Kime /669, #86 Rainy Lara /99, and game used jersey #18 Justus Sheffield.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
That's just it ... the blasters are LOADED ... with crap. So Panini knowingly advertises 2 autos, knowingly puts 3 in most of them to make you feel special ... and knows all along that you can't pull Frazier, Meadows, Bryant, Katoh, Gray, Appel, Franco, or any other 'good' name.
Who knows, maybe in 5 years those "good" names will be crap and the guys in the blasters will be the stars
Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:

By the way dude ... I'm on your corner on this, so I'm not sure why you continue to dish out the passive aggression. It's just that in any logical discourse, you lose credibility when you spew false claims and then just try to write it off, even if those claims don't directly pertain to the subject at hand. I don't want you to lose credibility in this. It is, IMO, worth the investigation.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Who knows, maybe in 5 years those "good" names will be crap and the guys in the blasters will be the stars
I should rephrase ... the guys whose autos cost Panini the least amount of money.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Not that I don't believe you -- I do -- but where was this proven?

And if this is the case, why wasn't a bigger stink made about this? Was Panini confronted? They seem to have a bigger hobby face/presence than Topps does.

And, for what it's worth, this is something I expect from the little guys -- the Leafs, the Paninis, the ... well, that's it. I don't expect this from Topps.
I guess I can't say it was "proven". Panini never came out and confirmed it but there was some other thread (I believe on BO...maybe it was Jaypers, maybe it wasn't) that posted all the results from everyone's breaks from 2012 and it pretty much confirmed there were a group of players that were mostly only pulled in retail and vice versa for hobby.

But I guess "proven" was a poor choice of words.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
I should rephrase ... the guys whose autos cost Panini the least amount of money.
NICE
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #49 (permalink)

I have yet to see anyone pull the big guns, "Bryant, Frazier, Meadows, Katoh, Appel, Gray, D. Smith" from retail yet. I think by now we would have seen at least one of these names pulled.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #50 (permalink)

I would be willing to bet Panini placed a very limited number of the "top prospect" autos in retail. Just enough to cover their butts...