Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Who is the best General Manager?
Rizzo - Nationals 9 4.62%
Daniels - Rangers 7 3.59%
Friedman - Rays 34 17.44%
Sabean - Giants 16 8.21%
Huntington - Pirates 6 3.08%
Beane - A's 41 21.03%
Colletti - Dodgers 2 1.03%
Moore - Royals 2 1.03%
Jocketty - Reds 7 3.59%
Other 71 36.41%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
Got it.

Are you feeling alright?
Never better.
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPTZEMDSTRPLES View Post
I don't understand your logic.This game is based off of *results*, not potential. If you haven't accomplished anything you don't deserve to be in the poll.Huntington doesn't deserve to be on here either.His teams have been awful, before finally making playoffs last year.

Whoever said Farrell should be listed?He's not even a GM.Come on.
Yes, the game is based on results but we are discussing GM's and the organizations they structure. In the case of the Pirates and Royals for example, I think it is fair to notice these were organizations that were horrible in most aspects for decades.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
I can't really speak for anyone else because I don't follow other teams much, but Sandy Alderson has done a phenomenal job replenishing the Mets farm system. They used to be bottom of the barrell, now they have a handful of young, high potential prospects (multiple on the Top 100 list). He's made some very smart trades (Beltran for Wheeler, Byrd/Buck for Herrera, Dickey for d'Arnaud/Syndergaard, etc...).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Alderson certainly has a gift in getting the most value for players. He seems to be making quick work of getting the Mets in shape. They should make some noise in due time.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #55 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Yes, the game is based on results but we are discussing GM's and the organizations they structure. In the case of the Pirates and Royals for example, I think it is fair to notice these were organizations that were horrible in most aspects for decades.
I lived in the KC area for years.Moore has not been a good GM at all.Aside from Shields, all he does is pick up retreads off the scrap heap year after year.4-5 years ago the Royals were so awful, Redmond made the All Star Game with an ERA over 5.00.Most of his "top prospects" have either flopped or disappointed.He finally has an average year and he is somehow on the poll.Huntington at least made a few good trades, and his draft picks have progressed, but he isn't anywhere near the top.

I also find it puzzling why Rizzo is on poll too when he foolishly shut down Strasburg when the Nationals easily could have won the World Series 2 years ago.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I lived in the KC area for years.Moore has not been a good GM at all.Aside from Shields, all he does is pick up retreads off the scrap heap year after year.4-5 years ago the Royals were so awful, Redmond made the All Star Game with an ERA over 5.00.Most of his "top prospects" have either flopped or disappointed.He finally has an average year and he is somehow on the poll.Huntington at least made a few good trades, and his draft picks have progressed, but he isn't anywhere near the top.

I also find it puzzling why Rizzo is on poll too when he foolishly shut down Strasburg when the Nationals easily could have won the World Series 2 years ago.
I think Moore has done a solid job. His team is filled with young talent that he drafted and developed within. The Royals do not have the funds to spend large in the free agent market. He has set this team up to make a run without spending a lot. The move to get Shields was just that. The Royals evaluated what they had in position players and pushed to get a top of the rotation arm. Of course not all of Moore's moves have worked out but he has turned that organization into something relevant.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
I think Moore has done a solid job. His team is filled with young talent that he drafted and developed within. The Royals do not have the funds to spend large in the free agent market. He has set this team up to make a run without spending a lot. The move to get Shields was just that. The Royals evaluated what they had in position players and pushed to get a top of the rotation arm. Of course not all of Moore's moves have worked out but he has turned that organization into something relevant.
His team is filled with young talent that has underachieved like Moustakas, Duffy, Escobar and Hosmer, among others.The Rays and Twins can't spend money either, but both of those GM's have done far more than Moore.And he way overspent on Vargas, I see a rough year for him.

I'm surprised Sabean is so low.His teams overachieve year after year, and won a pair of World Series against superior teams.Guy is masterful in the front office.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #58 (permalink)

Friedman for me. Forced to build a contender through the farm and has been very successful in flipping players to restock.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagausaf View Post
Friedman for me. Forced to build a contender through the farm and has been very successful in flipping players to restock.
Thanks for the vote.

To the top for more and please if you vote other, list who you pick.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Huge payroll, busted system and nothing to show for it. Stop being such a homer. If that is your vote, I will certainly put you down for that.

Not enough of a homer to cloud my judgement. Thought he certainly deserved a spot on the list but my vote has to go to Billy Beane. Did the most with the least.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #61 (permalink)

For the GM's mentioned I had to go with Beane. He put together many great teams that made the playoffs with a near non existent payroll. GM's like this impress me much more than the GM's that spend hundreds of millions to put together a playoff caliber team.
Mt death2redemption...you started this by your lies!!! A real stand up member!!! You have said lie after lie after lie about me...its funny whenever I used to say anything you would not use my quote but add or subtract to it....I guess you have to keep your fake world going....oh just if your members knew... your worse then a liar....your a created of lies.... - Jason Mars
death2redemptions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
Without Dave Dombrowski and John Farrell listed as choices this thread is a fail. How can they not be listed over many of the names listed?

BAM^^^^^^^^^^^ Well Said!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #63 (permalink)

Jed Hoyer and it's not even close
Wolves4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #64 (permalink)

Gotta go with mozeliak. As a mets fan I love what alderson has done as well.
seancoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #65 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to free2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy View Post
Andrew Friedman and it's not even close.
This. No one has done more with less than Friedman. Turned TB from a joke of a franchise into a respectable yearly contender. Beane would be my distant second.
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagausaf View Post
I'll be very interested to see what he does with Price next offseason. That should bring quite a haul if Shields/Davis brought back Myers & Co.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
This. No one has done more with less than Friedman. Turned TB from a joke of a franchise into a respectable yearly contender. Beane would be my distant second.
Nobody? Cmon, Beane won the West two years straight while having just 1 .300 hitting starter in both seasons combined. And they won the divison over a stacked Rangers team.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Nobody? Cmon, Beane won the West two years straight while having just 1 .300 hitting starter in both seasons combined. And they won the divison over a stacked Rangers team.
Beane has never been to the World Series. The Rays have done this and won two East division titles... you know, the same one that the Yankees AND Red Sox are in.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs View Post
Jed Hoyer.....
We have theeee worst.
, TC RC's
http://www.freewebs.com/fanofstarbury03/
CubKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #70 (permalink)

Hoyer had a hand (small or large a hand) in 2 Red Sox titles, Stole Rizzo from Padres (Though Cashner can still have a good career jury not out yet) and helped create 1 of the best farm teams in baseball last 2 years which will hopefully land to big things in a short time. So That's why I voted for Hoyer not just because he is the current GM of the team I root for.
Wolves4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves4Life View Post
Hoyer had a hand (small or large a hand) in 2 Red Sox titles, Stole Rizzo from Padres (Though Cashner can still have a good career jury not out yet) and helped create 1 of the best farm teams in baseball last 2 years which will hopefully land to big things in a short time. So That's why I voted for Hoyer not just because he is the current GM of the team I root for.
If we're going to award votes for GM's who were assistant GM before promotion, then Mozeliak should be recognized for orchestrating the '06 Cardinals as well.And, most importantly, his teams win in October.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #72 (permalink)

So who has the most "other"?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
So who has the most "other"?
I will take a few more days on voting and then list out those who selected other to find out who got the most votes. It looks to be a three man race.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #74 (permalink)

As much as I HATE the Cardinals, I would go with their GM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkandlewis View Post
I voted other but for me it's a toss up between Alderson and Beane.
Shouldn't a met team win more than 75 games before he's pronounced the best