Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Charges Dropped!

Just got an alert that the State's Attorney of Florida has dropped the reckless driving charge against Puig.

I am curious if there was a legit reason or not.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

FWIW, if anyone has ever driven alligator alley it is mile upon mile of nothingness (swampland)... I rented a car down there and drove the alley, got the little crappy thing up to 100 MPH and was still getting blown by by every car on the road...
Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

"Dodgered" a bullet there. Here's hoping he can redirect all of that energy into becoming a great ball player.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe now his cards will finally be worth something...
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Can drive over 55 and reckless, But can't hit 55 MPH pitch.

That is is only weakness, slow pitch kills him ALL THE TIME.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
Can drive over 55 and reckless, But can't hit 55 MPH pitch.

That is is only weakness, slow pitch kills him ALL THE TIME.
Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit an eephus pitch?
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
u have noooo.....marbles!
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was hoping this would be a Biebs thread
89transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I bet Nick Foles can hit an eephus
-----> SCB's Draft 10 Caser:
MikeWilliamsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

He got off because of being a star, we'd all be headed to court. Dodgers probably gave some nice ST seats away to make this go away.
gmsieb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsieb View Post
He got off because of being a star, we'd all be headed to court. Dodgers probably gave some nice ST seats away to make this go away.
I hate when people say this. Go sit in ur local court house when you have some free time. They drop charges like these all day long from poor people all the way up to the rich.
Madrid1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is what it is. We disagree, I'm ok with that.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe now his cards will finally be worth something...
^^^^^ Awesome!

Photo Bucket: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j338/SteveSweren/
SaveMeTheGum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrid1028 View Post
I hate when people say this. Go sit in ur local court house when you have some free time. They drop charges like these all day long from poor people all the way up to the rich.
This is 100 percent true. This is just a guess because I haven't had time to really read about what happened but knowing the system like I do, I expect that the ticket was reduced from reckless driving, which is a crime, down to something like excessive speed which is more a ticketable offense so it is no longer technically a crime, it is a violation. That means that they can say that the charges were dropped.

Any lawyer should be able to get that charge reduced by agreeing not to fight the excessive speed offense. Notice that I didn't say "any good lawyer" I said "any lawyer." It doesn't take an impressive amount of legal knowhow to get the State's Attorney to reduce a charge like that.

I would actually think that the State's Attorney would be more likely to hold fast on a charge against a celeb because they don't want to be seen as giving out special favors to famous people. So, while most people may get their charge reduce, it can often be harder for famous people in cases like that.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
^^^^ This is exactly correct. Now do some people get off easier sometimes because they are an athlete? Absolutely. However that doesnt mean that every person that is an athlete gets off because they are one as normal people have charges thrown out every day as well. Too many throw that blanket statement over every case that involves an athlete regardless if it truly applies or not

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
It is what it is. We disagree, I'm ok with that.
The cheapest lawyer can get that reduced. When I was in college for one of my classes I sat through some hearings and you would be amazed the entire day is people requesting reductions in fine amounts and lowering charges. All day long they approve these requests. Im assuming Puig should get the same treatment as you and I would.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
The cheapest lawyer can get that reduced. When I was in college for one of my classes I sat through some hearings and you would be amazed the entire day is people requesting reductions in fine amounts and lowering charges. All day long they approve these requests. Im assuming Puig should get the same treatment as you and I would.
There is a huge difference between reduced and dropped. These are also the 2nd charges to be dropped in the last 2-3 months. That wouldn't happen for you and me. So, again, we just disagree.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

seems like everyone whos ggetting busted in florida is getting away slate free.
chrisxacosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

gmsieb I'm not sure you know what your talking about.

Charges are dropped all the time in courts. Immediately after Puig was arrested he hired a driver and it seemed like he was trying to change. That plays a role in the decision by the judge.

He still has his ticket and has to pay the large fine he just isn't going to jail or what not for reckless driving. It does in fact happen all the time to everyone celeb or not.
Nervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbuch View Post
This is 100 percent true. This is just a guess because I haven't had time to really read about what happened but knowing the system like I do, I expect that the ticket was reduced from reckless driving, which is a crime, down to something like excessive speed which is more a ticketable offense so it is no longer technically a crime, it is a violation. That means that they can say that the charges were dropped.

Any lawyer should be able to get that charge reduced by agreeing not to fight the excessive speed offense. Notice that I didn't say "any good lawyer" I said "any lawyer." It doesn't take an impressive amount of legal knowhow to get the State's Attorney to reduce a charge like that.

I would actually think that the State's Attorney would be more likely to hold fast on a charge against a celeb because they don't want to be seen as giving out special favors to famous people. So, while most people may get their charge reduce, it can often be harder for famous people in cases like that.
Quote:
There is a huge difference between reduced and dropped. These are also the 2nd charges to be dropped in the last 2-3 months. That wouldn't happen for you and me. So, again, we just disagree.
I guess being he still has been charged with speeding that would be the reduction. "the state must prove the defendant drove with a wilful or wanton disregard for people or property, according to the memorandum. Speeding alone is not grounds for a reckless driving charge" He should have never been arrested. The police report doesn't state any where that there were other cars or anyone in danger around him. Every single one of us would have easily been able to have the reckless charges dropped. Agree to Disagree as you stated but if this happens to you pm me and Ill take care it for you. Even if you're not a celeb or pro athlete.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Madrid1028 I wish this were true about courts.I received a marked lanes violation and had to pay $600 and be on probation for a year.I was not speeding or like half of the nation driving while drunk. As I was on probation a local guy found guilty of breaking and entering only got 6 months of probation.They could've executed me and it would've been easier than the the whole ten minutes I spent in court and the fees I payed.As they say I guess it's who you know.The courts are a politics type deal.
dlouisb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouisb1313 View Post
Madrid1028 I wish this were true about courts.I received a marked lanes violation and had to pay $600 and be on probation for a year.I was not speeding or like half of the nation driving while drunk. As I was on probation a local guy found guilty of breaking and entering only got 6 months of probation.They could've executed me and it would've been easier than the the whole ten minutes I spent in court and the fees I payed.As they say I guess it's who you know.The courts are a politics type deal.
There are extreme results in any system. Its never going to be perfect just like everything in life. It took me 5 seconds to find someone who didnt have money who got out of a dui because his lawyer argued lack of evidence for his marked lanes violation. Since he was pulled over because of the marked lanes violation which is the number one way they catch DUI violations. Keep in mind he was guilty of the DUI but walked away with nothing. For every local guy who has gotten only 6 months for breaking and entering there are 10 stories of guys who get much longer. Most states carry minimum sentences that are much longer then 6 months.