Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default what are your thoughts on "pack searching" just by looking?

We all know that pack searchers are scum that fondel packs. What about when you can see that a pack is different (thinner or thicker depending on what the hit is) just by looking at it? Not saying I do this, but it was something I thought of. For example, if a loose pack at the shop CLEARLY had a book or patch because it was that much thicker than the rest. Thoughts?
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well if you're examining every pack to find the thick ones, it's wrong.

If you grab a few packs at random and notice one is thicker, it's fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think those that packsearch will continue to do it no matter how many of us bitch at them for it.
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Being totally honest I WOULD NEVER stack packs or examine packs to find the thicker one, that's wrong, but if I saw a pack that was CLEARLY thicker than the others, and it was obvious to the naked eye, I would probably buy it.
Thommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

But it doesn't even matter 'cuz I refuse to buy retail, I basically only buy chrome cards, and my LCS owner throws anyone he thinks might be packsearching (one of the main reasons I go there).
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

I saw a football pack with one pack like 3x larger than others but I decided not to buy it cause I don't collect football and wont care.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy View Post
But it doesn't even matter 'cuz I refuse to buy retail, I basically only buy chrome cards, and my LCS owner throws anyone he thinks might be packsearching (one of the main reasons I go there).
man I was upset when I went to my lcs and the owner/friend told me that someone came in bought one pack of 2012 bowman platinum and pulled a yu darvish gold refractor auto relic. and he said that the seller went through the box and notice it was the thickest one..... and i pc darvish.....
og_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by og_monster View Post
man I was upset when I went to my lcs and the owner/friend told me that someone came in bought one pack of 2012 bowman platinum and pulled a yu darvish gold refractor auto relic. and he said that the seller went through the box and notice it was the thickest one..... and i pc darvish.....
Ya that sucks. I see you're in Cali, if you're in LA I can reference you to my LCS where that would NEVER happen.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy View Post
Ya that sucks. I see you're in Cali, if you're in LA I can reference you to my LCS where that would NEVER happen.
I go to frank and sons now when I'm buying boxes as I hardly buy singles now because of that. Ultimate sports In Las Vegas the guys wouldn't let you touch the packs as they ask which one you want but after they get to know you they let you grab them, but of course you cant molest them.

Also whats the shop called so I can stop there when I'm around?

Last edited by og_monster; 01-29-2014 at 01:51 AM.
og_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

I only by hobby boxes now because of pack searchers. And to the op, if one goes through the packs and picks out the fat ones they are a pack searcher.
krr23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Lol that picture is priceless.

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/jbrandonw/library/?sort=3&page=1
jbrandonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

If a thick pack is just sitting out there to be seen it isn't pack searching. But yea once you start going through the packs checking for thickness it is pack searching, even if you aren't feeling around for certain cards like you see people doing at Target. It is a shame that some card shops let people fondle the packs to search for the thick ones and I hope those that see any of them allowing that take their business elsewhere. Bad enough when retail establishments let it happen since they don't have someone hovering over the card stack, but a hobby shop should never allow it

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

When I saw the topic, what came to mind was rack packs where a card is visible through the wrapper. I picked up a Topps Update rack a few months ago because I could see enough of the top card In the lower section to know it was a Puig rookie without even having touched the pack.
NickM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

I squeeze avocados before purchasing them to see how ripe they are. Does that make me a guac searcher?
mikecala98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Darned double post.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

I insist on being blindfolded and wearing very thick gloves when picking packs. If you don't take the same precautions, you are a PACK SEARCHER!!!

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/DSizzle31/library/?sort=4&page=1
DSizzle31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

The example noted I would not call pack searching. Also if the pack is like old 80s Topps rack packs, I would not call looking for the better glossy all-star card, the extra freebie on top, searching.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecala98 View Post
I squeeze avocados before purchasing them to see how ripe they are. Does that make me a guac searcher?
Do you resale that guac on eBay to make a profit from guac searching? I don't think so.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by og_monster View Post
I go to frank and sons now when I'm buying boxes as I hardly buy singles now because of that. Ultimate sports In Las Vegas the guys wouldn't let you touch the packs as they ask which one you want but after they get to know you they let you grab them, but of course you cant molest them.

Also whats the shop called so I can stop there when I'm around?
Sports Source 2
Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natitude View Post
Do you resale that guac on eBay to make a profit from guac searching? I don't think so.
No, I resell to my LCB. Local Card Bodega.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #21 (permalink)

So here is a scenario.

I took my 8 & 10yr old to card shop while on vacation in CA that keeps the packs behind the counter. you want a pack, they take it out of the box and give it to you. So We asked for 2 Jumbo packs of 2013 update series. I always get those for my kids because the odds are better for them for a relic or auto. So I see the guy take the top two packs out and then he gives us the 3rd pack in the box. I know something is up then because who would do that? At first I thought he was screwing us over. Instead my 10yr old opens the pack and inside is a pin relic card. So the guy knew that was in the pack and gave it to my son. My son got in the car and said "did you see the guy pick the third pack from the box?" so even he saw it.
mbrown2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #22 (permalink)

I absolutely do not pack search, but thought I would share my story quick. Whenever I stop at Target I always check the card section for blasters, and every once in a while I'll check the discounted packs to see what they have for $1.59. Usually if they have a bunch of A&G or whatever I'll just buy them all for the fun.

One time going through they had one of those 08 Upper Deck X packs that was super, super thick. Obviously there is something in there so I decided to buy it, and sure enough there was a repackaged Whitey Ford Sweet Spot auto from 2005 Sweet Spot. I had no intentions of pack searching at all, just going through the box and happened to stumble upon a massive looking pack that any pack searcher should have easily identified before me.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

I think Its a money question.

I have money and I buy packs hoping to get something good.

But If I were broke I would pack search like crazy.
(my guess Is that many pack searches are not millionaires so I cant blame em)

But that Is just me

Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown2626 View Post
So here is a scenario.

I took my 8 & 10yr old to card shop while on vacation in CA that keeps the packs behind the counter. you want a pack, they take it out of the box and give it to you. So We asked for 2 Jumbo packs of 2013 update series. I always get those for my kids because the odds are better for them for a relic or auto. So I see the guy take the top two packs out and then he gives us the 3rd pack in the box. I know something is up then because who would do that? At first I thought he was screwing us over. Instead my 10yr old opens the pack and inside is a pin relic card. So the guy knew that was in the pack and gave it to my son. My son got in the car and said "did you see the guy pick the third pack from the box?" so even he saw it.

lol....................

Last edited by Aubrey; 01-29-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

I don't buy MUCH retail, but when I do I always have my wife or daughter pick the pack out to ensure I can't even remotely feel anything. However, it's not illegal and I don't get butt hurt about it like 90% of the users on here. I just simply attempt to stay away from retail unless its newly stocked. I confronted a pack searcher, very calmly, one time at a target. I say calmly because most of the stories I see are 'I'm big and bad, told him he's a piece of sh*t.' I asked why he does it. His response was something like this: 'When you go to the store to pick out apples, do you just blindly pick?' I said no and knew where he was headed. 'I do that with packs of cards. I find the ones that are worth my money and I purchase them.' And he went back to weighing/molesting. Do I agree with it? No. Would I personally do it? No. Does it effect ME directly? No. So who cares? People always use the 'leave that pack for a kid' excuse, when there's rarely any kids buying packs. More than anything, I find it funny to see grown men complaining about something so minuscule. Put that hate and effort into something that matters, not towards a guy pulling a Pedro Alvarez one color jersey piece.