Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: 2014 Red Sox Infield
Drew at SS, Xander at 3B 5 10.64%
Xander at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B 42 89.36%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What will the left side of the Red Sox infield look like in 2014

Does anyone have any inside 411 on the Drew situation? I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to keep my Middlebrooks autos. I can't seem to find anything concrete on whether the Sox (or anyone else) is looking to sign Drew. Personally, I'd like to see Xander at SS and Middlebrooks at 3B, but if Middlebrooks tanks, they don't have an immediate backup plan.

Photo Bucket: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j338/SteveSweren/
SaveMeTheGum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Middlebrooks had the August of his life last year. He's going full time this year.

Xander gets callup around mid May or July..... Don't think he's starting with the Red Sox...but definitely on the verge of callup.

J.D. Drew gets traded to the Dodgers or Royals.

He's at the end of his career & the Red Sox are enjoying their prospects with the new manager & a fresh World Series victory.

I hope the Yankees don't end up like the Jays last year & the Sox in 2012. Especially after the Yankees implosion with AROD last year.

Seems like the Yanks are headed into reorg at the end of next year.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Middlebrooks had the August of his life last year. He's going full time this year.

Xander gets callup around mid May or July..... Don't think he's starting with the Red Sox...but definitely on the verge of callup.

He's at the end of his career & the Red Sox are enjoying their prospects with the new manager & a fresh World Series victory.

I hope the Yankees don't end up like the Jays last year & the Sox in 2012. Especially after the Yankees implosion with AROD last year.

So you are assuming the Sox sign Drew and then trade him. Probably not a bad idea, but I think Xander is on this team opening day. This kid is ready and can help the team immediately. I'd love to see Middlebrooks work on his plate discipline and move back to the middle of the lineup. I see the lineup to open the season to be like this:

Victorino
Pedrioa
Ortiz
Napoli
Gomes/Nava
Xander
Middlebrooks
Pierzynski
JBJ

This can change a lot depending on how JBJ, Middlebrooks and Xander to do start the season.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMeTheGum View Post
So you are assuming the Sox sign Drew and then trade him. Probably not a bad idea, but I think Xander is on this team opening day. This kid is ready and can help the team immediately. I'd love to see Middlebrooks work on his plate discipline and move back to the middle of the lineup. I see the lineup to open the season to be like this:

Victorino
Pedrioa
Ortiz
Napoli
Gomes/Nava
Xander
Middlebrooks
Pierzynski
JBJ

This can change a lot depending on how JBJ, Middlebrooks and Xander to do start the season.
I'd hate to say it...I don't think Xander is ready for full time starting job.

I haven't heard any information from the Red Sox head office about it. I know they said they were starting JBJ & Middlebrooks full time.

That may put Xander back till May or so.

They also may put Xander on limited use kind of what they did with JBJ although I think they burned themselves by taking JBJ out mid year.

Also think the Red Sox are in the hunt for another good rotation guy to buy. There is tons of good talent left on the market. I think that is why they still haven't definitely decided on Xander. May wait another year or bring him in & out & make him compete for his job.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

J.D. Drew hasn't played in the majors since 2011.

If you think Xander isn't the opening day SS you are straight up uninformed.

The Sox are looking to sign Stephen Drew, but not for the money that Boras wants.

It looks like Garin Cecchini will probably get a shot in ST but I hope they don't give up on Middlebrooks just yet.
justbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

JD Drew has been out of baseball for 2 years.
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Where does Marrero fit in?
Current Breaks I'm Filling - #2 - 2011 BDPP Hobby Case Break - Team Draft
New Project - 1983 Topps Baseball PSA 10 - 21/792 = 2.65% (#29 of 46 1983 PSA sets)
jewcer2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Also think the Red Sox are in the hunt for another good rotation guy to buy.
Yea right. They have backlog all the way to AA. Sorry, but Your posts in this thread are a terrible source of Sox info.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
To the starting lineup in Portland. I think he eventually gets traded before seeing Fenway.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Tradebait or if Xander moves off short in a couple years he could be a defense first shortstop. Don't think Marrero is really in the big league picture as more than an emergency option until late 2015 or 2016 though.
shortking98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't see Marrero as a starting MLB player. He just doesn't have the bat to stick anywhere. I see him topping out as a Four-A player, possibly a utility role somewhere.

Cecchini is interesting, but might not have the glove to stay at 3B.

Either way, both these guys are probably at least a year away.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

The left side will be Xander and Middlebrooks.

Apparently the Sox offered Drew two years to be more of a utility guy. Gammons thinks he is going to sign with the Mets.

Red Sox Offered Stephen Drew 2 Years/Gammons Thinks he'll Sign with Mets - Rising Apple - A New York Mets Blog Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

Quote:
He doesn't. If Middlebrooks collapses again, maybe. Even then they have Cecchini (and Betts, who could probably transition across the diamond to 3rd) waiting in the wings as well.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

The only two conceivable options I can see are Drew getting signed to play a platoon role, or him not being resigned. He'd share at-bats with Middlebrooks, and Bogaerts would play every day at either SS or 3B depending on which of Drew/Middlebrooks was in the starting lineup on a given day.

Middlebrooks could see anywhere from 200 to 600 abs this year depending on whether or not the Sox resign Drew and/or acquire another 3B candidate.

Imo it seems unlikely Drew will be resigned, unless he doesn't receive offers from other teams.

JBJ will have a chance to become an every day starter, but he'll be closely monitored in the first 45 days of the season. Grady Sizemore is a wild card who has potential to take ABs away from JBJ.

P.S. I have absolutely no idea what Benshobbies is talking about in his posts.

CMB. My entire collection is up For Sale!!

Last edited by Jopeal; 02-04-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Jopeal is offline   Reply With Quote