Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Born after 95? What retired player do you collect/why?

This question has been burning in my dome.
If you collect, and we're born after 95, who were your player-idols that you collected/collect?
I collected Ripken, Ryan, Thomas, griffey, robin yount, chipper, and a few more and still do. With the exception of guys like hank Aaron and Ed mathews, I mostly collect guys I saw play at one time or another, especially when it comes to players from my first go round in cards (85-94).

If you mostly prospect, do you have any retired PCs?
Was it a game replay, documentary, movie, book?
Relative? Acquaintance?

Please share
Thx
Peterson
timelovesahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was born in '98, and the guy I PC hasn't retired yet, but he will after this year. I hope PK gets a farewell tour like Jeter but I don't know if that will happen. Ever since he hit that grand slam in the World Series when I was 6, he has been my favorite. When I think White Sox first baseman, I think Paul Konerko. I don't think that will ever change. I also really like Jim Thome even though he only played on the Sox for a few seasons. 2 great hitters.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh good lord just reading the title to this thread makes me feel old....

....and I'm only 26. ha
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't particularly collect retired or vintage players, but if I come across a really nice card of Ken Griffey, Cal Ripken, etc... then I will most likely keep it.

Born in 1997, by the way (17 years old).
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

i was born in 1995. I used to collect Hanley Ramirez pretty heavily as he was my idol in my pre-teen to early teen years. When i determined that he was a lazy douchebag i dumped everything i had of him. Now i collect a couple current stars (harvey and stanton) and a couple of my favorite prospects (pillar and kaminsky.)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelovesahero View Post
This question has been burning in my dome.
If you collect, and we're born after 95, who were your player-idols that you collected/collect?
I collected Ripken, Ryan, Thomas, griffey, robin yount, chipper, and a few more and still do. With the exception of guys like hank Aaron and Ed mathews, I mostly collect guys I saw play at one time or another, especially when it comes to players from my first go round in cards (85-94).

If you mostly prospect, do you have any retired PCs?
Was it a game replay, documentary, movie, book?
Relative? Acquaintance?

Please share
Thx
Peterson
Not that it matters, im only curious, but why target those born after 1995 when a few up the players you mention retired before 1995?

Are you gauging if some of the kids bothered to collect people outside their gen?

PS...there is some Orioles prospect that upon meeting frank robinson had no clue who he was. Now THAT is sad to me.
Rndm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Born in 98 and my idol, like tons of kids my age, is Derek Jeter. In tee ball i played for the Yankees and my number was 2. My dad told me about how Jeter was #2 and a yankee and i have liked him ever since.
DJ3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

1996 Here! Looks like your only going to get those after '95. I collect most Braves especially the older ones such as Smoltz, who was my favorite player growing up, Maddux, my dad's, Glavine, and of course Chipper. If you want to go really old school my favorite vintage player is Carl Yastzemski. It may have just been because of his name ,but him playing for my second favorite team ,the Red Sox, probably helped a little too.
Looking for 2011, 2012, 2013 Topps Chrome Baseball base, refractors, xfractors, orange, purple, and blue refractors. Can use black and sepia as well as any other colors 1974 Topps Baseball, Braves, Packers, RedSox, Kris Medlen, Jordy Nelson. Can use NY Giants. 2011 Topps Diamond Diecut, Any Vintage commons or stars, Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine,
Crisscross4767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Holy sheit 98?! lol yea I feel old just turning 30
Old 02-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

'96 here... I collect pretty much anything Giants. My favorite current players are Brandon Belt and Madison Bumgarner. They both are fairly underrated in my opinion and have huge potential going forward! As far as old/retired guys, my favorite player when I was younger was Omar Vizquel and I'm just now starting to pick up some of his stuff. I'm really excited for this upcoming draft because all the guys getting drafted out of highschool will be my age! That'll be really weird buying cards of players who are potentially younger than I am!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

'96 here! I collect Billy Wagner due to him being a hometown hero. I collect Jim Abbott out of pure respect for the man's drive.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

september 94 is close enough i think and i collect ron santo when it is cheap enough , met him a few times and he was always a great pleasure glad he is hofer wish he would have gotten to see it
superjames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Born in good ol' 98. I lived in Europe till I was 5 and then move to illinois. I only lived there for 2 years but my dad always lives there so I picked up the Chicago teams. After I moved to Michigan, I got obsessed with sports which led me to where I am today. Vince Carter and Andre Iguodala were my favorites from watching old dunk contest footage and imitating it on the net above my door. Shaquille o'neal was also a guy I liked and I've noticed is a very popular player on here. In baseball I was a Cubs fans and you know how that goes.... Favorites are Sammy Sosa (still have a soft spot), Derek lee, aramis Ramirez, Pujols, and Miguel Cabrera when he got traded to my second favorite team. I'm a diehard bears fan too so I always liked urlacher, Hester, Tillman, and forte and Jeffery as of recent. Sorry for any grammatical/spelling errors (I'm on an iPhone) love to hear these stories. Keep posting!
AwesomeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Born in 75 but I collect certain 50s minor stars for various reasons. Like Luke easter. My mom used to watch him play in Rochester. Also he was one of the megroe league's best home run hitters, won the MVP a few times and won the negroe league championship with the grays. He was the also the first person to hit a ball out of the polo grounds. The only other one to do it was mantle. Barring injury and age he would have been one of the best players in history.
callou2131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was born in '96. Griffey and Bo Jackson are my two favorites.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Kirby Puckett. My childhood idol and role model. I remember shedding a couple tears when he passed.
Braman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndm1 View Post
Not that it matters, im only curious, but why target those born after 1995 when a few up the players you mention retired before 1995?

Are you gauging if some of the kids bothered to collect people outside their gen?

PS...there is some Orioles prospect that upon meeting frank robinson had no clue who he was. Now THAT is sad to me.
yeah, josh Hart...19...sad but true. I love Frank so much it's a joke. I like josh too though. Raw, possibly useable talent for the blackbirds.

just figured I would put a solid date on it, and that was the first year after I left collecting completely (I'm talking cold-turkey)
timelovesahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
I was born in '98, and the guy I PC hasn't retired yet, but he will after this year. I hope PK gets a farewell tour like Jeter but I don't know if that will happen. Ever since he hit that grand slam in the World Series when I was 6, he has been my favorite. When I think White Sox first baseman, I think Paul Konerko. I don't think that will ever change. I also really like Jim Thome even though he only played on the Sox for a few seasons. 2 great hitters.
Wow....I think I just heard Frank Thomas laugh...
Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

97 Here, I collect Cole Hamels just because hes my favorite hometown player and a great guy both on and off the field
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Wow....I think I just heard Frank Thomas laugh...
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I know Thomas was great, but by the time I got into baseball (2005), he was injured and didn't contribute much to the Sox. I didn't get to see him play in his prime with the Sox. Konerko has been the Sox first baseman ever since I got into baseball.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Banks. Ive watched hundreds of the games hes played in, and his attitude and talent were excellent, love watching him play.