Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on Player Autos?

Hello everyone -

My local baseball team (Brewers!) is doing a fan event this coming Sat. before an exhibition game, where many of the players will be giving autographs. I don't yet know what the signing rules are for the event, but word is that they'll sign anything within reason, one auto per player per fan. Though you pay for the exhibition game, it's not a "paid signing event". (And I already had tickets for the game, so I'm going!)

I have some base cards/parallels of a few players that I like that I would like to get signed, and I plan on stopping by my local card shop to get a team set of cards and some baseballs to get signed for the other players I like. Not looking to sell these autos, I just want autos from players that I like that are signed in my presence for my collection (seeing an auto done in my presence is my C.O.A. - for my personal collection, that is!).

Anyway, my (newb) questions:
1) Seeing many signed baseballs before, it looks like ball-point pen is the norm. I'm guessing because of the curvature. Any thoughts on this, or does anyone prefer sharpies?
2) For my cards, from a "look" standpoint - do you prefer Sharpie or ball-point or what? (My base/parallels are Bowman, some Bowman Chrome). I would think Sharpie would normally look better, just wondering what y'all think.
3) For baseballs - if you're providing your own (which I will), is there a "standard"? (Offical MLB ball or what?). Like I said, I'm a newb.

Thanks -
William (January-13)
January-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I went to a Buffalo Bisons vs Scranton Wilkes Barre Yankees this past summer. I stood down near the dugout and got auto for a couple of AAA yankees. One did make it into the Pro's(edwar rameriez).

I took a baseball, Rawlings Offical MLB Ball and I used a Sharpie. Thought it wrote easier for them than a Pen.

Although this was my first time trying to get auto from baseball. Ive tried with Football more.
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Some helpful hints for you. I have been collecting autos for a very long time and have a large investment in them and this is what I have picked up over the years:

Baseball: go with a ball point pen instead of a sharpie. A sharpie will actually fade faster than pen. Go with Blue or Black pen in color.

Baseball: Go with Official baseballs always

Card: go with sharpie (fine point)

(also when handling the baseball try to hold the ball on the seams at all times. That way the oil from your hands/fingers dont get on the ball. This is what causes the ball to discolor. Nothing you can do if the player grabs the ball with his hand but the less you have your hand on the ball the better)

All of these tips are good to use. These are good for looks on the item when you are displaying and also for future retail value.

Hope this helps you out and answers all of your questions. If you have any more questions dont hesitate to pm me anytime with questions

Always Looking For Zetterberg Patch Autos
vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Do not use a Sharpie...

EDIT: Vortek beat me to it.

Guys,
Sharpies will eventually bleed into the leather of the ball and leave a ghost like appearance to the signature. People use ballpoint pens because they will last and not bleed.
Sharpies are great on most cards but won't write on the chrome types. I think guys that really want to go for the chrome use slight talcum powder on them before getting them signed. Someone else here may know exactly what they use. I like getting cards like Heritage signed since they are basically cardboard. Find ones with nice photos if you can.

Otherwise, have fun.

Best Always,
Vinny
PS: Official MLB balls when possible
Guitars, fishing, and trading cards, safer than a lot of other habits. If I post a pic of a player, I took it. I may not be the oldest member here but I paid $8. an auto and shook Joe DiMaggio's hand at the Armenian Church in NYC once.
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sharpies tend to bleed if used on baseballs. Stick with a ball point pen on the baseballs. Use a sharpie for the cards. Odds are the players will have pens and sharpies at their table with them and will use the correct thing.
As far as balls go, it's best to get official MLB's. They should run you around $12-$15 each or $115-$120 a dozen.
upsbroker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vin,

You are right about the talc powder. Some use it before the signing on cards. It absorbs the oils and any dampness on the card before the signing on the card. Usually you apply it to the card and then either wipe it off with a terry cloth to remove all the moisture/oil that may be on the card. Just helps the auto dry quickly and avoids smudging.

Always Looking For Zetterberg Patch Autos
vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

No one has mentioned it, but try and take lots of photos. You said most of these are for your PC (which is great) but if you ever wanted to sell them photos of you w/ the player and the freshly signed ball/card/whatever will go a long ways.
rudyjustinfarrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wow - I came to the right place for answers Thanks everyone for all the info!!!
January-13 is offline   Reply With Quote