Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Angry David Price Out For 6 Weeks

Muscle strain in his left forearm. Obviously this greatly reduces his chances of reaching the majors this year.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

LOL I love those idiots who waste money on "prospects". I would much rather get a card of a good veteran than waste my money on a Kerry Wood or Mark Prior like player.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

unfortunately, your veteran will likely ever be worth more than it is now. I was paying 150 each for Pujols Bowman Chrome RC's and trading for them with Ichiro RC's in 01. What you consider a "waste" is actually called an "investment"
GarkoCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarkoCollector View Post
unfortunately, your veteran will likely ever be worth more than it is now. I was paying 150 each for Pujols Bowman Chrome RC's and trading for them with Ichiro RC's in 01. What you consider a "waste" is actually called an "investment"
I am not talking about investment value, I am talking about the hobby. Everybody goes crazy over the next big thing, but what about the past? Wouldn't you rather have a Mantle, Gretzky, Jordan, or a Price, Lebron, AP, or Crosby?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
LOL I love those idiots who waste money on "prospects". I would much rather get a card of a good veteran than waste my money on a Kerry Wood or Mark Prior like player.
You'd be surprised how many idiots clean up on prospects when listing them on eBay.

But I'm with you. Quick flip? Bah. Who needs that, anyway. The smart ones hold their cards until the end of time.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by Jaypers; 03-24-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
You'd be surprised how many idiots clean up on prospects when listing them on eBay.

But I'm with you. Quick flip? Bah. Who needs that, anyway. The smart ones hold their cards until the end of time.
Yea but like somebody said, lots of rookies have their peak in baseball before they are even called up. Same as the AP, right now, or if he has another big year will be the highest his cards ever go.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

Quote:
Yea but like somebody said, lots of rookies have their peak in baseball before they are even called up. Same as the AP, right now, or if he has another big year will be the highest his cards ever go.
And that moment is when most smart people unload their cards and maximize profits. If you want to call them idiots for doing so, go right ahead.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
And that moment is when most smart people unload their cards and maximize profits. If you want to call them idiots for doing so, go right ahead.
Never said people who collect rookies for re-sale are stupid, said people who go with the hype and buy rookies on the win that maybee they will be good when you can get a hall of fame or future hof cards for so much cheaper. In with the new, old with the old is what I do not like. I never collect rookies since you never know what will happen to them, its funy looking at old becketts and seing what they hype to only be todays garbage.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, your right!

I'm sorry I held onto like 200 Lebrons and Crosby's from their rookie years. Also, I really should have sold all my bowman chrome baseball rookies that are going through the roof like jacoby ellsbury. And it was stupid for me to buy 2 ryan howard bowman's best auto's for $10.00 each.

You take the good with the bad.

I am a prospector and I am damn proud of it!
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Not only can you profit from prospecting but it's very fun. You have something invested in a player so it's fun watching them develop. Also, every player only has one rookie card year (or two with the new RC logo) whereas an established veteran probably already has a bunch of autographs and GU cards which are reproduced every year and the market gets saturated.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

...it's not that Lebron, or Crosby, or Pujols, or Howard or etc aren't making good on their potential. It's the 5 million other rookies that get hyped that don't pan out that can kill a prospector. I laugh when I see someone collecting Luebke or Antonelli or Headley or Kulbacki cards -- not because I don't think they might have productive careers some day...but because the likelyhood of their RC cards being worth much more than they are now (during hype-phase) that it seems to be a losing proposition.

For every Pujols, there are a million Matt Stairs.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Guys, it is just like the stock market and I have been doing it since 99 just buy low and sell high. I made so much money off Ryan Braun and Colby Rasmus but I also lost a little on Ben Broussard and Mark Quinn. But all in all as long as you know when to sell you will be okay. But then again I have never held on to any of the cards either.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ok, the only thing I was trying to say was I do not understand why up and coming rookies sell more than old veterans. Case in point, in my other post I have 3 letter patches for sale. A Felix Hernandez offer on it is $200, Pedro $150, and Vlad $120.
Hernandez is a young pitcher with a lot of potential, Pedro may be the best pitcher in the 90's who did not take steroids. Just saying it doesn't make sense.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

I tend to look at it like this: For instance and saying their are no freak accidents, Derek Jeter will live for a least another 40 years, and will continue to sign autographs and even at a faster pace once he retires. There will also be another 5-10 years worth of equipment for him to use to be made into cards. Someone like Hank Aaron may live for another 20 years and will not use anymore equipment to be made into any cards. So, I think investment wise Aaron is the way to go because 20 years from now Jeter's market will be saturated and Aaron's market will be left with whatever he leaves behind. But currently Jeter will sell as high or higher than Aaron. So does this make sense?
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
I tend to look at it like this: For instance and saying their are no freak accidents, Derek Jeter will live for a least another 40 years, and will continue to sign autographs and even at a faster pace once he retires. There will also be another 5-10 years worth of equipment for him to use to be made into cards. Someone like Hank Aaron may live for another 20 years and will not use anymore equipment to be made into any cards. So, I think investment wise Aaron is the way to go because 20 years from now Jeter's market will be saturated and Aaron's market will be left with whatever he leaves behind. But currently Jeter will sell as high or higher than Aaron. So does this make sense?
In theory it makes sense but Jeter has a bigger fan base.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Bziddy-

Do not make me bring the wrath of Matt Stairs upon you. That guy is awesome. That and he is more productive than 90% of the prospects ever will be. Get informed.
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Matt Stairs generally ends up on most of my roto teams

How about for every Albert Pujols there are a million Sean Burroughs.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear29 View Post
Sure thats makes sense, perfect sense. But if you follow your argument then you should forget about prospects, they will have cards for another 10-25 years so why even collect them until 10-20 more years.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86

Quote:
Sure thats makes sense, perfect sense. But if you follow your argument then you should forget about prospects, they will have cards for another 10-25 years so why even collect them until 10-20 more years.
Jacob,
The only ISSUE with this thread at all was that you came on and clumped a broad range of people together and called them IDIOTS. It started off bad and that is were you went wrong.
Everyone has an opinion about prospecting but you are not going to get on anyones good side by calling them names.
JMO
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan86 View Post
Jacob,
The only ISSUE with this thread at all was that you came on and clumped a broad range of people together and called them IDIOTS. It started off bad and that is were you went wrong.
Everyone has an opinion about prospecting but you are not going to get on anyones good side by calling them names.
JMO
ok fair enough
Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziddy View Post
Matt Stairs generally ends up on most of my roto teams

How about for every Albert Pujols there are a million Sean Burroughs.
Who are the idiots who bought Sean Burroughs Rookies?
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

I am much happier with that comparison bziddy.

Just a quick Matt Stairs story: I live in Kansas and he played for my Royals for a few years. Every time there was a pitching change and he was in right field, he would go and sit down in the bull pen. Could not handle the strain of being up for those 7 pitches or whatever. Gotta love baseball.
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

cmon now Sean Burroughs is a little league world series legend! (please upperdeck, no cut autos of the pudgy fellow)
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

I'm not saying anything is wrong with prospecting, I will by a box or two of Bowman Chrome a year, but the higher percentage of my purchases are products like Sig. Cuts, Allen and Ginter, Greats of the Game, and Sweet Spot Classics. I buy the Bowman product to put in a box and then a few years down the road look and see what I have. And there is a big difference between the philosophies of some one who collects to keep and someone who collects to flip. I haven't ever sold a baseball card, so prospecting to me is a waste. I'm not going to spend a whole lot of money on players I don't know.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
I am much happier with that comparison bziddy.

Just a quick Matt Stairs story: I live in Kansas and he played for my Royals for a few years. Every time there was a pitching change and he was in right field, he would go and sit down in the bull pen. Could not handle the strain of being up for those 7 pitches or whatever. Gotta love baseball.
Along those lines -- one of my favorite (hometeam) Padres players of all time was John Kruk -- he made great mistakes (catching the 2nd out of the inning and starting to run in from the outfield)....

My favorite Kruk story is when he was in Philly:

One of his most memorable quotes, and a fine example for his broad popularity, came in response to an older woman who chastised him for smoking and drinking as a professional athlete: "I ain't an athlete, lady," he replied. "I'm a baseball player."

------
another good Kruk story...

I forget who is was, but a teammate said that Kruk was the luckiest guy in the world because he had his name AND his picture on the back of his uniform -- he wore #8 which kind of matched his rotund stature.