Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   BASEBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/)
-   -   After Bowman Chrome is released to the rest of us... (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/684-after-bowman-chrome-released-rest-us.html)

fctryseald 08-18-2007 06:04 PM

After Bowman Chrome is released to the rest of us...

How much room is there for cases/boxes to move up in price in the short term? I bought a few cases back at the $750 price point and was just wondering if there is still some money to be made if I purchase some pre-sells at just under $900 a case?Where do you see the price topping out and when?

phil 08-18-2007 06:33 PM

hard to say. 2006 took 4+ months before it went up much above $900, but this year it may take less time to dry up. print run is increased, but hype and speculator/prospector interest may be up so much it outpaces increased supply.

worst case anything under $900 is absolutely a great 4-6 month investment - should be $1200+ by next spring. short term is less clear.

phil 08-18-2007 06:37 PM

as of this morning everything under $925 on ebay is gone, which is a good sign :)

fctryseald 08-18-2007 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=phil;3522]hard to say. 2006 took 4+ months before it went up much above $900, but this year it may take less time to dry up. print run is increased, but hype and speculator/prospector interest may be up so much it outpaces increased supply.

worst case anything under $900 is absolutely a great 4-6 month investment - should be $1200+ by next spring. short term is less clear.[/QUOTE]

I have an opportunity to purchase two cases at $890 each, and I'm debating on it.

phil 08-18-2007 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=fctryseald;3526]I have an opportunity to purchase two cases at $890 each, and I'm debating on it.[/QUOTE]

if you can afford to tie up the money for the 4-6 months it's a no-brainer. it will all get opened or stuck away at some point, just a question of how long it will take.

fctryseald 08-18-2007 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=phil;3527]if you can afford to tie up the money for the 4-6 months it's a no-brainer. it will all get opened or stuck away at some point, just a question of how long it will take.[/QUOTE]

Do you think the price will dip at all after release, or will it at best level off before heading back up in a few months?

rudyjustinfarrell 08-18-2007 07:44 PM

You have to look at if the big prospects/rookies are still playing w/ their teams during the Pennant races or how they finish up the year in the minors and what their chances are of being called up earliest next year. If Joba Chamberlain and the Yankees don't do well his prices will tail off. As well as any of the other autos that will be hot out the gate. Realistically there are only a small handful of prospects/rookies that will make a debut at the end of the year, maybe. If they do box prices might nudge up. For the most part though I think prices will cool and dip slightly ESPECIALLY as football heats up and takes center stage.
As far as case prices? I looked at 06 Bowman Chrome and it's a "call for prices" type of thing. With Justin Upton heating up I'd think their prices might have gone up a bit. Call and see where they are at. I don't think that $900 is a good price to buy at short term. Let Chrome take it's dip and then pick it up in 2 months. There are a lot of big products coming out the gate the rest of the year and that is going to steal a lot of Bowman Chrome's thunder. If Goudey, SP Authentic or any of the new UD products are even somewhat good... Chrome will be had at discounted prices. My 2 cents...

Jughead 08-18-2007 07:50 PM

I disagree because I think the Bowman Chrome baseball prospector is not the same person as the football card collector. Ultimately, time will tell.

Rabbit 08-18-2007 08:03 PM

Yeah, I don't really see Chrome taking a dip. Singles will drop, but unopened wax will likely stay strong. If it hits a really nasty-high price, it may drop off a bit in the offseason, but as soon as the Baseball America Prospect Guide comes out again, it will jump right back up.

And if anyone from this class ends up making a big splash this year, that wax is staying put.

phil 08-18-2007 08:07 PM

i do not think case retail prices will dip much below $890. there are too many dealers & speculators out there willing to pay $800+. more likely to go up a little.

rudyjustinfarrell 08-18-2007 08:10 PM

Can anyone verify what the case price of this was on BLOWOUTCARDS as of FRIDAY? If you can, post the price and we'll see what happens. Like you said time will tell.

phil 08-18-2007 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=rudyjustinfarrell;3542]Can anyone verify what the case price of this was on BLOWOUTCARDS as of FRIDAY? If you can, post the price and we'll see what happens. Like you said time will tell.[/QUOTE]

just check his ebay price. that's typically the first place a change reflecting a dealer net change shows up. been at $989 for a week now.

corjac 08-18-2007 08:18 PM

The price was up to $999 as of yesterday.

otmack2o 08-18-2007 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=corjac;3546]The price was up to $999 as of yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I can second that. This was the price on blowoutcards.com, not blowoutcases.com

jjd1979 08-19-2007 12:58 AM

heard cases were down to $830 on dealer net which leads me to believe tim linescum did not sign.

a friend had a few private signings w/ him and he hates them my friend noted. they even did it in the same hotel room. he had to only go up one floor and sign stuff and i guess he moaned about it the whole time.

phil 08-19-2007 01:53 AM

[QUOTE=jjd1979;3582]heard cases were down to $830 on dealer net which leads me to believe tim linescum did not sign.[/quote]

if dealer net sellers were trying to move it because they were clued in that there was definitely no linsecum auto you would see a lot more cases listed on ebay. given the delay and the fact that they are making a bazillion cases i think it's more likely it slipped slightly due to normal supply/demand issues. it's normal for BC to peak too high at or near release and fall back a little.

tarzanlovesjane 08-19-2007 07:08 AM

I have it on good authority Linecum did sign, he'll be short printed like Johjima was last year, thus the base card as well. I have talked to two guys who've opened their cases so far, and I have to say it's been a bit brutal. Also, I heard the the first guy that listed on ebay has told people those are the best hits out of FIVE cases, not one. Anyways, good luck everyone!

frozenntimesports 08-19-2007 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=phil;3588]if dealer net sellers were trying to move it because they were clued in that there was definitely no linsecum auto you would see a lot more cases listed on ebay. given the delay and the fact that they are making a bazillion cases i think it's more likely it slipped slightly due to normal supply/demand issues. it's normal for BC to peak too high at or near release and fall back a little.[/QUOTE]

Usually dealernet prices change when the top price is taken off. For example if a guy wanted 6 cases at $840 and he got his price and quantity, he takes his offer down.

I wouldn't worry too much about a minor fluctuation there, I think the sealed wax is still a solid investment.

jebjeb1 08-19-2007 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=tarzanlovesjane;3595]I have it on good authority Linecum did sign, he'll be short printed like Johjima was last year, thus the base card as well. I have talked to two guys who've opened their cases so far, and I have to say it's been a bit brutal. Also, I heard the the first guy that listed on ebay has told people those are the best hits out of FIVE cases, not one. Anyways, good luck everyone![/QUOTE]

Man that dealer is brave telling everyone who he is as Topps might pull his account. Hopefully it was only one case but based on the hit it was likely more than one. Not sure why the guy would list Paul Estrada if that was one of his best hits out of 5 cases.

Jughead 08-19-2007 12:29 PM

He didn't want it. Holding it will just cost him money.

corjac 08-19-2007 01:00 PM

I think 5 cases makes sense. As much as we'd like to believe that there will be single cases out there with each and every one of the big autos, I just don't see it happening (possible but not likely). Also, he has five parallel autos up and there's no way cases are going to have 5 of those either. So either he opened multiple cases or the first guy to open it this year had the best case out there.

brianennis 08-19-2007 01:21 PM

if he did open five cases why didn't he put all the autos up for sale? seems silly to hold them when you are going to get a premium for being first.

Jughead 08-19-2007 02:00 PM

Maybe he doesn't rip to sell. What is on eBay could be his duplicates.

frozenntimesports 08-19-2007 04:59 PM

What about the 20 count lots of prospects, with all these people pre-selling, can they still average $12-15 a lot or are we at the point now where we rip at our own peril?