Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is there a reason why Javier Baez is batting .177?

Sample size is 60 AB's, small I know, with 20 K's.
So much for the hype machine...as of now.

Almost committed a couple grand to this fool, glad I didn't, how long till I regret that decision? or will I?
darealstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

He has always K'd a lot. Maybe you should look into players before almost dropping a couple of grand
Old 05-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

He hasn't been healthy missed some time just got back recently .
superjames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hes overrated
Old 05-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

another Cubs prospect that doesn't know the strikezone. Follows in the lines of Corey Patterson and Josh Vitters.
mwash1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwash1983 View Post
another Cubs prospect that doesn't know the strikezone. Follows in the lines of Corey Patterson and Josh Vitters.
Exactly why I'm not buying Bryant anywhere near current prices. What was the last player to come through the Cubs system that excelled? On paper they have a ton of talent but their peers in other systems are passing right by them and progressing where these guys aren't. Texas seems to have the same problem. A lot of power but a lot of swing and miss guys that don't seem to progress.

Datkiem was a mad genius and way ahead of his time.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

He will be in Nashville starting tonight for a series. I was thinking bout going to try and get a ball signed by him. Has anybody had any luck getting him to sign before games? Would I be wasting my time?
ebrigance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

He's done this at every level before getting it figured out. Hopefully he gets it figured out sooner rather than later.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hitters are not as good when it's cold. April is a month for pitchers.
base set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

I love threads where a person asks a question, then states the reason why his post is silly and then posts it anyway.

If you'd dropped your 2k when the time was right, you'd have alot more than 2k already.
phillyfan0417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealstunna View Post
Almost committed a couple grand to this fool
when did javier baez become a fool?
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFulch40 View Post
He's done this at every level before getting it figured out. Hopefully he gets it figured out sooner rather than later.
This. No reason to think Iowa will be any different. Not to say that the k's aren't a concern... But comparing the talent of Vitters or Brett Jackson to Baez is poor form. Same with Bryant.
shayscards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Exactly why I'm not buying Bryant anywhere near current prices. What was the last player to come through the Cubs system that excelled? On paper they have a ton of talent but their peers in other systems are passing right by them and progressing where these guys aren't. Texas seems to have the same problem. A lot of power but a lot of swing and miss guys that don't seem to progress.
All of the previous "failed" prospects through the cubs system have came before the regime change. Since Theo was brought on, new coaches, instructors, etc have been brought on. You may still be right, but I dont think its fair to compare corey patterson, Kevin orie, Felix Pie, etc to the new crop of prospects under theo. Just my 2 cents

Also like the other guy said, he has done this at every level he has been called up to.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayscards79 View Post
This. No reason to think Iowa will be any different. Not to say that the k's aren't a concern... But comparing the talent of Vitters or Brett Jackson to Baez is poor form. Same with Bryant.
I don't agree with that. Back in the day they were pretty highly rated as well and played in the same system. Granted there is never a true apples to apples comparison as every player is different but I think this comparison is fair. I ask again, what was the last prospect in the Cubs system that ever lived up to expectations? Why do you think these guys will have a different result? I'll take 20 years of failed prospect history over hype and promise every time when it comes to laying out my money. One of these guys has to pan out though right? I'm sure that is what you are thinking but that isn't necessarily a true statement.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't agree with that. Back in the day they were pretty highly rated as well and played in the same system. Granted there is never a true apples to apples comparison as every player is different but I think this comparison is fair. I ask again, what was the last prospect in the Cubs system that ever lived up to expectations? Why do you think these guys will have a different result? I'll take 20 years of failed prospect history over hype and promise every time when it comes to laying out my money. One of these guys has to pan out though right? I'm sure that is what you are thinking but that isn't necessarily a true statement.
Mark Grace definitely made a great impact in the big leagues from the Cubs system, was there some others after him?
Bergkamp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

What's ironic is that the op is a bigger fool than who he is calling a fool
metsplaya123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchance13 View Post
All of the previous "failed" prospects through the cubs system have came before the regime change. Since Theo was brought on, new coaches, instructors, etc have been brought on. You may still be right, but I dont think its fair to compare corey patterson, Kevin orie, Felix Pie, etc to the new crop of prospects under theo. Just my 2 cents

Also like the other guy said, he has done this at every level he has been called up to.
Even in light of my post above, this is a fair point that you make. However, Theo has accumulated a lot of talent on paper in Chicago but so far it is still so so at best in regard to results. I bought in big on Soler which I regret. He may still pan out though as he is young. Strange that his contemporaries, Puig, Cespedes, Abreu etc have come over and produced immediately in the bigs but yet Soler is still scuffling in the minors. Is that the system or was Soler overrated?

Baez has done well at each level although he hasn't progressed as fast as a lot of his peers. I think Bryant will be ok. I thought Vogelsnack would be way farther along than he is but he seems to be regressing.

I'm just not a fan of power at the sake of a ton of k's. That seems to be what the Cubbies are acquiring and/or teaching. I'd much rather have a team of .290 hitters than can jack 20-25 hr's than a team of .240 hitters that can hit 30 but kill a lot of rallies due to not being able to put the ball in play.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergkamp11 View Post
Mark Grace definitely made a great impact in the big leagues from the Cubs system, was there some others after him?
That is my point, I honestly can't think of a single hitter since his time that the Cubs succeeded with. That is mind boggling, he was a rookie in 19freaking88. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile but apparently the Cubs can't.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

dan vogelbach is the only guy in the cubs system that might make you money if you invest.

soler-probably a bust
bryant- prices are too high
baez-prices are too high
almora-probably wont be able to stay healthy long enough
edwards- probably heading for major surgery soon
mike olt- the time to make money on him was about 3 years ago

maybe pierce johnson will pan out but we will see
Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
That is my point, I honestly can't think of a single hitter since his time that the Cubs succeeded with. That is mind boggling, he was a rookie in 19freaking88. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile but apparently the Cubs can't.
Starlin Castro? Come on bro do some research before making a dumb comment.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
dan vogelbach is the only guy in the cubs system that might make you money if you invest.

soler-probably a bust
bryant- prices are too high
baez-prices are too high
almora-probably wont be able to stay healthy long enough
edwards- probably heading for major surgery soon
mike olt- the time to make money on him was about 3 years ago

maybe pierce johnson will pan out but we will see
You do realize he's only 22 right?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves4Life View Post
The same Starlin Castro who batted .245 last season, with a .284 ON BASE% in 161 games...
thats a pretty big regression last year for Castro at age 23...

I still like his long term upside, and he looks better so far this year, but .245 last year was really dissapointing for this cubs star
cardsharkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I would advise you to do the same thing. There are a lot of people that wanted him run out of town. He hasn't exactly torn it up. Google his name on this site alone and you will see many threads cursing him. Thank you for keeping the conversation civil though. There always has to be that one a-hole that needs to ruin a good round table. Then again, I always discount anyone that calls me "bro". It kind of lets me know what kind of person I'm dealing with as if your post didn't do the same thing. Smdh.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Obviously people that lost a crap ton of money on Patterson, Vitters , Jackson and so on are jaded. Therefore every prospect in the Cubs system is garbage in their eyes.
cubfanbudman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfanbudman79 View Post
Obviously people that lost a crap ton of money on Patterson, Vitters , Jackson and so on are jaded. Therefore every prospect in the Cubs system is garbage in their eyes.
Exactly, They are just mad cause their team's farm is probably full of actual garbage.