Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Honus Wagner T206 sold on ebay for $170

Interesting ....

Sparks man wins online auction for rare collectible - My News 4 - KRNV, Reno, NV

I wonder if it truly is real!
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds very fishy like the guy knows its fake but looking to garner sympathy when the next story comes out its a reprint. The fact he threw his sorrow story in there is highly suspect. Besides if all are true shouldn't he be saving that cash considering he lost his job, had back surgeries and a newborn? lol Local pros said its legit.......But oddly didnt offer him anything for it..Right... reminds me of when people bring fake autographs to sell here and say several local shop owners said its real
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it was on the bay, I would think there would be more than enough people who would gamble more than $170 to see if it was real.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sold as a reprint. Its right in the description. Looks like my spidey BODA senses are on to something.

Collectible 1909 T 206 Honus Wagner Baseball Card Sweet Caporal Antique | eBay

Last edited by tonedef2oo8; 09-16-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
That's what I figured but if he actually meant $170 exactly, don't see any that ended there, and that one says reprint right in the description.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
That's what I figured but if he actually meant $170 exactly, don't see any that ended there, and that one says reprint right in the description.
Its the same exact card he has on his table in the video. Creases and paper loss match. IMO this guy is full of it .
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ebay 'suggest' a seller use the term 'reprint' if they can't be 100% sure in proving that it's real? Isn't that how raw copies of Jordan RCs are sold as well?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

That or the person selling as a reprint didn't know. ZOIKS! Could you imagine? If it is real, I know someone who has a million cards who would be happy to trade them for it!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Its the same exact card he has on his table in the video. Creases and paper loss match. IMO this guy is full of it .
Hahahaah, you're right. Didn't bother to watch the video.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

those corners are perfectly rounded not like wear over time…

that looks like a fake.

That would be nuts to find the real thing though.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
XL5

The guy tried to sell it on Craigslist. He is either really dumb or he knows it's garbage and is using the local news to try and garner credibility. Anyone thinking they had a real Wagner T206 would go straight to an auction house or PSA/BGS.

My guess is he's hoping someone sees the story and contacts him directly and he can pawn it off on them at a "unbelievable price."
Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Here is a screen cap of the card in the video its clearly the one sold above. I think this is to garner sympathy and some cash when the story follows up and he says its fake. Also got to love the scammers old story of "local shops told me it legit" thats was the game changer for me. Red flags went up so high I couldnt see them anymore lol Most shops would take a loan out just to own that card and get people in the doors. If legit that card wouldn't have left any shop. Seems this guy knows all the tricks like craisglist etc but not grading before contacting the news...Right.... lmao

Last edited by tonedef2oo8; 09-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afton9444 View Post
those corners are perfectly rounded not like wear over time…

that looks like a fake.

That would be nuts to find the real thing though.
That is what I thought too. I can't imagine anyone looking for this card that had any doubt it was a reprint wouldn't have gone a bit higher.
ageofreason13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

lol

On the news?

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

guy is using local news in attempt to fool others into thinking it is real. not a bad plan buddy.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Looking at completed sales, why are there a bunch of reprints ending in the hundreds? You can buy 9,000 for only $250!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

If you look at the current auctions for the seller that sold this Wagner; he has a lot of other re-prints; mixed with some legit PSA vintage.

There's no way he sold a real Wagner T-206. All the evidence you need. (Unless he kept the Wagner in the "fake" pile by accident when listing) Heh.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Man, if this is fake - these guys are getting more and more legit! It is really sad, too - heck, you can't even trust psa / bgs cards anymore.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
XL5

Best part, it looks like a shill job but this guy swooped in at the late minute and saved the initial shill victim.

EDIT: No, I take that back. This guy bid all the way up.

Last edited by XL5; 09-16-2014 at 10:16 AM.
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Best part, it looks like a shill job but this guy swooped in at the late minute and saved the initial shill victim.
And a retracted bid of 200 which was to see his max more thank likely lol
Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

So when he finds out it's not what he thinks (hopes) it is, he just sends it back for a refund, right?

Item not as described for whatever reason & eBay will allow the return.

Seems like a safe gamble for this guy who is 40-something years old & "looking to get a nice start in life".

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
So when he finds out it's not what he thinks (hopes) it is, he just sends it back for a refund, right?

Seems like a safe gamble for this guy who is 40-something years old & "looking to get a nice start in life".
Item was described as a reprint...
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewby View Post
Item was described as a reprint...

"Received the card, it's more beat up than the picture shows, I want a refund" or any other XYZ issue he wants to write.

eBay - Okay.

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

I can only assume he knew it was fake when he bought it as it clearly states it as a reprint in the description. But I can tell you when he posted it on craigslist he knew as people would have told him right away.

Notice this guys story is all over the place. I only had 170 in my account, it sold for 177. He says it ended a month ago. It ended days ago. Those are we like to call red flags lol

Last edited by tonedef2oo8; 09-16-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Notice this guys story is all over the place. I only had 170 in my account, it sold for 177. He says it ended a month ago. It ended days ago. Those are we like to call red flags lol
Cut the guy a break, he's just trying to get a nice start in life. Lol