Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Everyone overvalues things on COMC..

I was doing my browsing through looking for Kyle Seager cards as per usall and I cant believe some of these prices..

Who in their right mind would pay 150 for a printing plate of his?

Or 30 bucks for a sterling refractor? Like what?

I mean we all have to have that ONE Dave Peters who over values their cards but why do so many people think that when they have an autograph card its suddenly worth X4 the price it should be.

New Project 2014 Autograph Topps Chrome Base: 10/45
Newest Additions: Matt Davidson,Ethan Martin and Jimmy Nelson
awz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think people overprice things on COMC so they can make 50% off sales and fool people into thinking they are getting a great deal. But then the sale time runs out and the items go back to the inflated full price and they forget to run another sale.
texgator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've noticed this horrible trend as well. COMC used to be a place to find reasonable deals on a lot of cards/sets that were no longer "hot" but it seems like more and more sellers are jacking up prices to outright stupid levels. As a buyer, making an offer on COMC is obnoxious. Wish they did away with offers
Brewer Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgator View Post
I think people overprice things on COMC so they can make 50% off sales and fool people into thinking they are getting a great deal. But then the sale time runs out and the items go back to the inflated full price and they forget to run another sale.
This is definitely true.

I'll also speak for myself, I set my auto accept at 80% but my auto decline at 59%. So anything over 60% I'll at least consider. For most cards I'll accept 60% without hesitation. But there are some cards in my port want closer to the 80% mark.

If I have a card I want to get $3 for, I need to list it at $5. Because I know I'll get an offer right at my lowest price. I could list that same card for $4 and hope for a 80% offer. Or I could set that price at $3 and not accept any offers. But if I set it at $3, then I'd get offers of $1.80 all day long......

If there was a way to set the auto accept/auto decline by the card, then I bet we'd see prices a little more in line with reality.

Then again, some sellers are just using COMC as a Photobucket alternative too and will never sell their items at the prices listed.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
This is definitely a reason although there are others. The 20% cash out hit is an eye opener and many people list prices above Ebay to make up for it. Another reason is that many buyers will pay more than Ebay because they aren't using 'real' money. I have done it myself as a buyer and sold tons myself where I was higher than Ebay. If I want a card and it is $10 on Ebay or $12 on COMC, I'm buying it on COMC 10 times out of 10.

"Fark it, I quit".
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, sometimes the prices are just absurd. Sometimes there's good deals too... but the big thing that COMC has on eBay for me is shipping costs. SO MUCH CHEAPER.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFarCry View Post
Yeah, sometimes the prices are just absurd. Sometimes there's good deals too... but the big thing that COMC has on eBay for me is shipping costs. SO MUCH CHEAPER.
I'd say that is also why the prices seem higher. Maybe people aren't considering that for Ebay prices shipping has to be included. So if a card sells for $3 on Ebay along with $2.50 for shipping but at Listia it is offered at $5 you're actually getting a better deal there.

Also I think more than anything it is a starting point for negotiations, just like shows like Pawn Stars. You start up high and consider what someone might offer. A lot of my sales on there are of people throwing up offers and I'm accepting them without even trying to haggle with them and potentially lose the sale of the card
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Some people are nuts when they price things--even some people on this board way overvalue it, even at 50 percent off they aren't in the ball park
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

We have just conditioned you guys on COMC to expect outrageous prices so that now when you see a card a market value you will buy it instead of when we used to price reasonably and you always offered half of market lol.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awz50 View Post
I was doing my browsing through looking for Kyle Seager cards as per usall and I cant believe some of these prices..

Who in their right mind would pay 150 for a printing plate of his?

Or 30 bucks for a sterling refractor? Like what?

I mean we all have to have that ONE Dave Peters who over values their cards but why do so many people think that when they have an autograph card its suddenly worth X4 the price it should be.
Cards that are overvalued sit there forever. Cards that are undervalued sell if 10 seconds.

Photo Bucket: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j338/SteveSweren/
SaveMeTheGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
This is the Kohls model
As the clouds drown the light, I wonder where you are tonight.
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
This is the Kohls model
Just what I was thinking...

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

You could've stopped at, everyone overvalues things .........
Yankees_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMeTheGum View Post
Cards that are overvalued sit there forever. Cards that are undervalued sell if 10 seconds.
This. 50% of what i list sells within the first 24 hrs. Funny part is a good chunk of sales are to people who have the same card listed at a higher price and they just realist mine.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Ifeature/library/ - Lower end Hits & RCs on COMC
smalltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

A lot of it is people relying on Beckett to set prices....
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees_Pride View Post
You could've stopped at, everyone overvalues things .........
+1 to the max

Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree. One guys has a Jimmer that sold for 3 bucks for 30

Please lemme know if you have anything Jimmer Fredette!
RandysHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

i basically only use that site to pick up large quantities of cheap cards that really only I want. I would never use it to buy anything that I had a thought to sell down the road.
I collect cards of former Vanderbilt players across all sports. David Price, Sonny Gray, Pedro Alvarez, Mike Minor, Ryan Flaherty, Tyler Beede, Tony Kemp, Mike Yastrzemski, Zac Stacy, MANY more.......
VandyCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

I bought $100 in credit on COMC, surfed for some cards I wanted/needed for an hour, and by the time I was done I hit the refund button. May try it again in the future, but priced looked rough compared to eBay...
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Flippers are ruining COMC. Anything that gets listed at a reasonable price instantly gets purchased and relisted.

I don't know if that is a good, or bad thing for the owners, but sucks for everyone else.
IUjapander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUjapander View Post
Flippers are ruining COMC. Anything that gets listed at a reasonable price instantly gets purchased and relisted.

I don't know if that is a good, or bad thing for the owners, but sucks for everyone else.
I think its the "SALES" feature that is ruining comc. Everyone is just jacking up the prices to run 50% sales.

comc should go back to just lowest prices . no gimmicks .
amazingpacks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

A real nice employee at COMC hooked me up with the 550 ct. 77$ rate (my first submission ever) so I sent in a box a couple weeks ago. I Had absolutely no avenue of selling these cards until now.

Edit: I am confused by the people complaining about flipping... is it an exclusive club?
clocsta2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug46n2 View Post
If I have a card I want to get $3 for, I need to list it at $5. Because I know I'll get an offer right at my lowest price. I could list that same card for $4 and hope for a 80% offer. Or I could set that price at $3 and not accept any offers. But if I set it at $3, then I'd get offers of $1.80 all day long......
unfortunately this is almost always true. no matter what you set a price at on a card, a buyer will always want to feel they are getting a better deal. so you have to play the game of listing higher and allow them to feel like they won.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

Just about everything on my account (1100 or so cards) is at the lowest price, or the only one on the site. I've had decent luck moving stuff
mredsox89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
A lot of it is people relying on Beckett to set prices....
Actually, I have noticed that since they got rid of relying on Beckett, prices have actually increased on COMC. It seems to me that sellers think you won't take the time to go back and forth between the sites to check book values instead of it being readily available there like it used to be.

I used to buy tons of cards off COMC, but I haven't done my monthly buy in 3 months now and the Cano buy I usually do the month before that ended up being a Curtis Granderson buy since all of the Cano cards increased dramatically.

I'm looking for a new place with the equivilant inventory to spend my money at.
fulltritty is offline   Reply With Quote