Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #126 (permalink)

This is one insane Tigers collection! Very jealous... that Fielder/Cabrera bat knob card is prob my favorite
cbus07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulliakat0628 View Post
`what a way to end it with that ridiculous ty cobb auto! You have got quite the bat barrel collection going on there dont ya man?! SICK!
Thanks, I appreciate it! The Cobb is one of my favorites of course, but those bat knobs were amazing to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus07 View Post
This is one insane Tigers collection! Very jealous... that Fielder/Cabrera bat knob card is prob my favorite
Thanks! I love the look of the dual bat knob booklet. It looks even better with the orange frame I have for it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #128 (permalink)

Here are my newest additions to the pc. Most of these are guys people have never heard of before, but I love learning about the history of the team. Some of these guys are pretty cool.

2005 Donruss Team Heroes Byron Gettis short print

Dick Tracewski played 2nd base and shortstop for Detroit from 1966-1969. He won a World Championship as a player for the Tigers in 1968 and was also a first base coach for Detroit when they won the 1984 World Series.

Frank Lary played for the Tigers from 1954-1964 as a pitcher. He was an All-Star for Detroit in 1960 and 1961.

Paul Foytack pitched for Detroit from 1953-1963.

Jerry Lumpe played for Detroit as a 2nd baseman from 1964-1967. The great Casey Stengel once said this about Lumpe, "He (Jerry Lumpe) looks like the greatest hitter in the world, until you play him."

Fred Gladding played for Detroit as a relief pitcher from 1961-1967. He was born in Flat Rock, Michigan and his biggest claim to fame in my book is that he used to babysit my dad!

2012 A Sign of History Dick Tracewski
2012 A Sign of History Frank Lary
2012 A Sign of History Paul Foytack
2012 A Sign of History Jerry Lumpe
2012 A Sign of History Fred Gladding

Jimmy Outlaw played for Detroit 1943-1949 as an outfielder and 3rd baseman. He was a part of the 1945 World Championship team.

Cheif Hogsett played for the Tigers as a pitcher from 1929-1936 and once more in 1944. He was a part of two World Series teams, losing in 1934 and winning the Championship in 1935.

Jim Price played for Detroit as a catcher 1967-1973. He is also the current color commentator for the Detroit Tigers on The Detroit Tigers Radio Network.

2012 Leaf History of Baseball Jimmy Outlaw Cut Signature
2012 Leaf History of Baseball Cheif Hogsett Cut Signature
2012 Leaf History of Baseball Jim Price Cut Signature

Roxie Lawson played for Detroit from 1933-1939 as a pitcher. His best statistical season was 1937 when he was 18-7. He was also a part of the 1935 World Championship team.

Thanks for the look! I have some really HUGE additions coming this week as well!!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #129 (permalink)

You going after that Dressen Cut on eBay? Looks nice but seems like it could go pretty high
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
You going after that Dressen Cut on eBay? Looks nice but seems like it could go pretty high
Possibly...it all depends how high it goes. It ends at a strange time for Detroit fans though....1 in the morning I believe. Well, strange if you have to work the next day.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #131 (permalink)

Here are the new additions to the Tigers pc. Some really nice cards this time around! Thanks for the look!

2012 Panini Prizm Doug Fister
2012 Panini Prizm Quintin Berry

2013 Topps Heritage Real Ones Anibal Sanchez on card
2013 Topps Heritage Real Ones Mike Roarke on card

2012 Panini National Treasures Harvey Kuenn Cut auto/bat "Harvey Wallbangers" #3/5
2012 Panini National Treasures Hal Newhouser Cut auto/bat "Prince Hal" #5/5
2012 Panini National Treasures Charlie Gehringer Cut auto/bat "Mechanical man" #2/10

2013 Topps Gypsy Queen Prince Fiedler Bat Barrel #1/1 (Thanks to jrodbrewcrew for the great deal!)

2013 Topps Tribute Miguel Cabrera Bat Knob #1/1

2012 Panini National Treasures Harry Heilmann Cut auto/bat "Slug" #1/1

Some history for the young kids out there (and even some of the older folks...)

Harry Heilmann (1894-1951) played for the Detroit Tigers from 1914-1929 as a first baseman and right fielder. He was a career .342 hitter and led the league in hitting for 4 seasons (.394 in 1921, .403 in 1923, .393 in 1925, and .398 in 1927). He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1952.

His autograph is almost impossible to find in good condition. I have been looking for quite awhile and couldn't even find a index card of his. In fact, the last time I saw a cut autograph of his pop up on eBay it went for over $3000...Needless to say I am very happy with this addition. All cards and a few more will be added to my Detroit Tigers autograph pc thread soon....

Thanks for the look!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #132 (permalink)
Banned

That's it? Yawn, call me when you actually get something worth value.

nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
That's it? Yawn, call me when you actually get something worth value.

Haha.....sorry to disappoint.....

Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #134 (permalink)

Some very nice cards. Growing up in the 80's I was a bit of a Alan Trammell fan.
sportzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #135 (permalink)

Very nice stuff! How many different tigers autographs do you have now?

Last edited by Homerun; 07-01-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
Very nice stuff! How many different tigers autographs do you have now?
Thanks! I actually update the total at the very top of the first post. I am up to 271 different Tigers players. I do have multiple autos of some of the players though like Kaline and Cabrera.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #137 (permalink)

Wow, nice collection. Some impressive cards you picked up there.

I just got back into the hobby a bit. When I read about the Cabrera triple crown 10 card relic set Topps was doing this year I got interested again and picked up several of the redemption cards.

Then I started buying some Tigers auto cards on ebay. Your thread helped me identify a couple cards to target for some certain players. I probably am at about a dozen Tigers autos now.

Another project I have going is collecting all the Tiger 2013 Gypsy Queen minis from base through sepia. I am a little over 50% of the way there.
jerlem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerlem1 View Post
Wow, nice collection. Some impressive cards you picked up there.

I just got back into the hobby a bit. When I read about the Cabrera triple crown 10 card relic set Topps was doing this year I got interested again and picked up several of the redemption cards.

Then I started buying some Tigers auto cards on ebay. Your thread helped me identify a couple cards to target for some certain players. I probably am at about a dozen Tigers autos now.

Another project I have going is collecting all the Tiger 2013 Gypsy Queen minis from base through sepia. I am a little over 50% of the way there.
Thanks man...I appreciate the comments.

The Cabrera triple crown card was something I wanted to pick up and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Good luck with the Gypsy Queen project. You definitely need to show that off when you get it finished!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
Thanks! I actually update the total at the very top of the first post. I am up to 271 different Tigers players. I do have multiple autos of some of the players though like Kaline and Cabrera.
Sorry, I didn't see it. That's awesome Mike. I put up a few new Konerko's that I got if you want to take a look at my thread.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't see it. That's awesome Mike. I put up a few new Konerko's that I got if you want to take a look at my thread.
No problem man...I will be sure to check out the Konerko thread. I bet there is a new 1/1...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #141 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

amazing collection, great great stuff!
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam_cubbies View Post
amazing collection, great great stuff!
Thank you! I appreciate the comment!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #143 (permalink)

Finally updating my thread with a few pickups.

2013 Topps Series 2 "Making Their Mark" Bruce Rondon

I was really happy to find a legible cut auto of Dizzy Trout even if it is a bit off-center on the card itself. I got it for an amazing price and it is the first one I have seen that isn't faded or overly expensive.

A little history (as I like to add in my posts):

Paul "Dizzy" Trout pitched for the Detroit Tigers from 1939-1952 and had a career record of 170-161. His best year was in 1944 when he won 27 games and had an ERA of 2.12. He took second in the MVP vote that year. He was a 2-time All-Star (1944 and 1947) and appeared in two World Series with Detroit (losing in 1940 and winning in 1945). After his playing days, Trout was the play-by-play radio announcer for the Tigers from 1953-1955.

2011 SP Legendary Cuts "Black Cut Signatures" Dizzy Trout #02/10

I also picked up this beauty about a month ago.....
2013 Topps Museum Collection Miguel Cabrera Bat Nameplate #1/1

Thanks for the look!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #144 (permalink)

Nice pickups. Love the Cabby!
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #145 (permalink)

Nice stuff man. Sorry I haven't sent out your care package yet, I've been adding stuff to it. Don't worry though, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
Nice pickups. Love the Cabby!
Thanks...definitely one of my favorites!

Quote:
Nice stuff man. Sorry I haven't sent out your care package yet, I've been adding stuff to it. Don't worry though, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks Mike! No worries on the care package...I am not going to complain when it's something you don't even have to do!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #147 (permalink)

Any new cards Mike?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #148 (permalink)
Banned

Awesome collection... I have a 1978 jack morris rc that I didnt see above... Need it?? Pm me your address and Ill send for free to a good home..
brianbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbye View Post
Awesome collection... I have a 1978 jack morris rc that I didnt see above... Need it?? Pm me your address and Ill send for free to a good home..
Thanks! I actually don't have the Morris rc, so that would be awesome. I thought about adding some of my other Tigers cards to the thread because this is mainly autos, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #150 (permalink)

While updating some info on my collection I realized I never added this to my collection thread...this is from August/September. Sorry if you already saw these!

Picked up a few nice cards the last couple of weeks and got a really nice one in today. Here are the new cards:

2010 Historic Autographs "Hall of Fame & All-Star Edition" Placido Polanco #2/8
2013 Topps Archives Mickey Tettleton on card

As some of you know I am picky about my collection, but I have wanted a Placido Polanco auto for quite awhile. He has plenty in a Phillies uniform, but none that I can find in a Tigers uni. This is the next best thing even though I know it isn't the most amazing card.

I already have a Mickey Tettleton (dual auto with Frank Tanana), but liked this card because it is on card.

Now the biggies:
2013 Topps Tribute Al Kaline Game-Used Bat Plate #1/1

Of course I wish there had been a way to fit the whole name in the window, but with it being cursive I don't think it would have worked unless they didn't have any border on the sides. Still a really nice card.

The next card has a pretty cool story to go along with it:
2013 Topps Museum Collection Miguel Cabrera Game-Used Jersey Laundry Tag #1/1

There are some interesting things about this card. First of course are the initials across the laundry tag. I am still looking to verify 100%, but I have been told by a few people the the initials belong to an equipment manager or some other member of the Tigers staff.

UPDATE: Info gathered from Gmrson and ChiSox22:

"The JS and G inscriptions, in that handwriting style, are as good as any LOA. The JS is Jim Schmakel, the Tigers' longtime equipment manager. The G is for Gamer. Although it's not the case now, there was a time when the Tigers were far less friendly to game-used jersey collectors. The JS initials were added to show that the jersey left the team's auspices legitimately. The Tigers would sometimes send team employees to Detroit area shows to check for items that weren't authorized for release. If a game-used/team-issued jersey was found in the possession of a dealer without the JS notation on the manufacturers' tag, the item was declared as stolen property and confiscation was attempted."

The second interesting thing is that this laundry tag has the silver MLB authenticity sticker in the bottom left corner. If you look that up in the database it says the following:

Hologram number FJ894716 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED JERSEY.

Session Product Description: #24 MIGUEL CABRERA

Session Name: 2011 ALDS YANKEES @ TIGERS GAME 3

Session Date: October 03, 2011

So, this jersey laundry tag was from the ALDS against the Yankees on October 3, 2011. (Tigers won the game 5-4 )

Some of my newer stuff will be updated soon. Thanks for the look!