Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A tale of a collector and his card

In late 2009 I started collecting baseball cards again. It was a hobby I had as a child and thought I would like to pass it on to my children someday. I do not collect for money but to just put some base sets together and put some history into the books for my children to admire one day. Mind you we all hope for the big score one day and always admire the rare cards that come out. I usually sell my signatures and rare cards so I can buy more cards.

I found myself getting more and more cards and thought that I would look at higher end products and the best way to do that was to find a hobby shop close by where I can talk to people. I found a great hobby shop called Batter Up in Tewksbury, MA which is run by 2 brothers. These 2 guys are the greatest people you will ever meet and helped me out tremendously in the hobby. This brings me to my tale of a card that was and is the best thing I have.

In January of 2010, on a Saturday, I stopped by the hobby shop to get some cards for the weekend. I picked up come boxes of Triple Threads 09 and some of the Topps Tribute. The person working at the shop said I would probably pull a Babe Ruth card with the new product. We laughed it off and I went home. I started opening the boxes and ended up getting a 1/1 Babe Ruth Seat card from Tribute which was cool. Then on my last pack of Triple Threads 09, there it was a booklet in blue saying a Dual Cut Above Lou Gehrig/Babe Ruth Autograph Relic. Words cannot describe what I felt at that moment. My hands were shaking and my wife was trying to figure out why I was so happy.

I waited until Monday and called the hobby shop and told them what I received in the cards. They thought I was joking until I brought the card by and showed it to them. This was the biggest pull in the shops history and everyone was excited. We called some friends and family to tell them and eventually the local town newspaper. About a month later I was interviewed by the local paper and everything came out about the card and who I was and the full story. This is when things started to go a little crazy.

The newspaper article was then caught by some websites out there and people started talking about the card and the signatures within the card. On occasion people were stating that the Babe Ruth signature was not real. The forums lit up with comments from everyone. Being relatively new to card collecting I had to find out for sure so I sent the card away to PSA/DNA. I used express service and they returned the card with a note saying they were unable to determine if either of signatures was real or fake. I sent an email to Topps Customer Service to ask for additional documentation saying the signature was real and they sent back a response saying that it is stated on the back of the card.

I was still worried about the signature so I decided to send it to Richard Simon and Authenticator in New York. His service was a 3 day turnaround and he immediately told me that the Lou Gehrig was real but the Babe Ruth was not real. So now I have an authenticator saying one sig was real and one was not real. Not to mention I have a letter from PSA/DNA saying they don’t know.

Being conflicted and seeing all the messages flying around and all the personal attacks on me and my family, I decided to try and sell the card on EBay based on the fact that Topps said it was a real signature. After receiving a few scathing messages from EBay members about the card it was pulled. I asked why the card was pulled and they said because there was no documentation saying the card was authentic.

So I decided to put all my information together about what I had learned about the card and all the documentation I had concerning the card and I faxed it all to Topps. Within the next couple of days I got a call from a service person who asked what I was talking about. Within a couple of hours he was able to get the original certificates for both signatures from PSA/DNA.

I posted the card again on EBay with the accompanying certificates to prove authenticity of the signatures etc. After 3 days and more scathing messages the card was once again pulled. Only this time they did not have an explanation for pulling the card, until I received an email stating because certain officials deemed the card not real and they pulled and suspended my account from posting new auctions for 7 days.

At this point it has been 4 months since I have the card and there is more concern now than ever that I may possibly have a card that is worthless. I waited until a card show came to town so I could submit the card to JSA. Upon submitting the card and waiting my 2 hours I came back and they told me that both signatures were not real which I later found out to be false on their part because they said the Lou Gehrig was actually real.

Now I have all this documentation and EBay torture about the card so I decide to talk to Topps about what is going on. They ask what they can do for me and I mention that maybe replacing the Babe Ruth signature is a good idea. They ask me to send them the card and they will see what they can do. Of course I decide to send the card in and most admittedly I annoy the heck out of them by checking in for updates every other day. Finally they find a new signature to place in the card and not only do they replace the signature they replace the entire card. I received the card June 24, 2010 and this has got to be the best looking card I have ever seen.

I was put through the ringer on this card and it really soured my taste for the hobby because of the comments by some people and how they can act so viciously to someone they don’t know but wants to enjoy the hobby. After all that Topps really came through for me on this card and I have never met such a wonderful group of people to deal with in my life. This company really went above and beyond to get this work done and treated me with respect. They restored my faith in the hobby and most certainly in their products. There are also some great collectors out there who helped me along with this issue and helped me see that there are going to be people who have their grudges. I would also like to thank the hobby shop which helped me with contacts and letters to the people necessary to make this the greatest card I have ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
A tale of a collector and his card-09ttbb_ttdca_1.jpg  
adnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thats cool what Topps did for you, but what the hell were they thinking? This makes me question the source of their cut autos. Its one thing if you get a Joe Jackson cut, you know his wife signed it, but maybe Topps was trying to save money in buying the Ruth cut, and you called them out on it.

You're one of the few people who actually can make their money back on TTT by the way.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Siiiiiick card man! I am sorry you had to go through such a headache, but am glad that it all worked out in the end. What an amazing pull!
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

thats a card i would kill for...

ALWAYS BUYING RENATO NUNEZ BC AUTOS
chansen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Thats cool what Topps did for you, but what the hell were they thinking? This makes me question the source of their cut autos.
If I read that right, both autos had originally been deemed authentic by PSA/DNA, correct? If that is the case, I don't know if you can really pin the fault completely on Topps.

Hell of a card and story!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
If I read that right, both autos had originally been deemed authentic by PSA/DNA, correct? If that is the case, I don't know if you can really pin the fault completely on Topps.
When the OP submitted it, PSA/DNA wasn't sure. When Topps asked for certs, they got them.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
When the OP submitted it, PSA/DNA wasn't sure. When Topps asked for certs, they got them.
Think you missed this part:

Quote:
So I decided to put all my information together about what I had learned about the card and all the documentation I had concerning the card and I faxed it all to Topps. Within the next couple of days I got a call from a service person who asked what I was talking about. Within a couple of hours he was able to get the original certificates for both signatures from PSA/DNA.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm glad this has come to an end for you. I'm sorry this has left such a bad taste in your mouth - hopefully it's over.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

now that you have the 'real deal' contact a lawyer. Personal distress due to the runaround from Topps. Sue them for $10 million and laugh at all the people who attacked you and your family.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I hope Topps also reimbursed you for the authentication fees.
Chrisdg19006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

glad to hear that there has finally be a resolution and you have a wizard of oz whirlwind story to go with it (and a nice card). I hope this keeps those 2 trolls (we all know who) and everyone else off your back now. Congrats on all the hard work to get the companies to admit there was something fishy going on.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

So how do you know this new Babe Ruth auto is authentic?

I'm not trying to start anything here, I promise. I'm just curious why you feel this one is authentic when the other one supposedly wasn't?

Furthermore, I'm having a hard time believing Topps' story about both original autos being real and came from PSA/DNA, (or whomever), in the first place. If that was true, why didn't they hold their ground and prove it to that grading company? Do you see what I mean? How they handled it seems to me like they're admitting they were wrong.

I hope these autos are both legit. We all know you've been through a lot. I just don't recognize that "B" on Babe Ruth as being similar to any auto of his I have ever seen. But I'm no expert, and I'd much rather believe it's real.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I kinda agree with Matt. It seems like unfortunately, we are back at square one. I hope that Topps provided you with unquestionable documentation with this new card to prevent this whole debacle from starting again.

Topps should bear all of the blame to begin with. They should have provided the documentation for the original cut sigs ,at the owner's request, from PSA/DNA and any results of "not authentic" would have been between Topps and whoever provided that result.

I really hope this ends all of the doubt and speculation for the owner as this card should be a treasure to own and not a source of aggravation.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would of sued Topps...

It turned out great for you..

But do you or any of us feel that any cut including your new ruth is real...

It makes me damn nervous on a smaller perspective..

With all the concern of fake cuts... What about jersey cards?

I collect them and i have 500 of them.. and 10K invested in them

Just waiting for that shoe to drop and my collection to drop to nothing.,

Really quite concerned about it

Great story thanks for sharing i do remember when it was posted on ebay..

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

My apologies I forgot to mention one key factor. Topps alse sent the original Letter of Authenticity from PSA/DNA for the new Babe Ruth Signature. When I get time I can scan it in and post it here.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnorton View Post
My apologies I forgot to mention one key factor. Topps alse sent the original Letter of Authenticity from PSA/DNA for the new Babe Ruth Signature. When I get time I can scan it in and post it here.
Yep, that's an important piece to the story.

I'm glad it all worked out for you. Thanks for the update.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

So what are you doing with the card now? Are you going to run it on Ebay?
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Yahoo to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Skype™ to JonDailey1982

The real question though is...can PSA/DNA be trusted? lol

Nice card dude...but even nicer pull straight from a pack...sorry to hear about all the hassle...
Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think what would be smarter than questioning this gorgeous replacement of a card would be to look at your own "cut" signature cards and question their validity. This makes me wonder at the amount of business PSA/JSA does with the card companies and how many things get done too quickly or get swept under the rug entirely. I think we all know shady stuff happens in this hobby because its just too easy to make a quick buck and its so easy to rip off or get ripped off.

Maybe the guy who called the first Ruth auto real is the same guy who thinks the centering on the Starsburg Super is a 9 I think you see my point.
onenineeightsix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
So what are you doing with the card now? Are you going to run it on Ebay?
I haven't decided yet. I was thinking of maybe sending it out again to get authenticated and possibly graded being it is a new card and in mint condition.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnorton View Post
I haven't decided yet. I was thinking of maybe sending it out again to get authenticated and possibly graded being it is a new card and in mint condition.

Any suggestions?
That would clear up any remaining confusion. Perhaps Topps would pay for it?
Chrisdg19006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have a credit voucher from PSA/DNA I can use. I just need to find it lol
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Don't grade it. Cards like that rarely grade well. If anything, have it slabbed as authentic.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Don't grade it. Cards like that rarely grade well. If anything, have it slabbed as authentic.
Agreed, who cares about the grade, just have it protected and deemed authentic. I personally would keep this card as a PC card. I love the game of baseball and if I were to ever pull a ruth cut auto it would be my pride and joy card. Good luck with whatever you decide though.
romad97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

Congratulations on pulling such a great card. I can't believe all the crap you had to go through thou. You would like to think you wouldn't have to worry about proving it authentic considering thats the card companies job. At least everything seems to of worked out thou in the end. I don't think Id worry about getting it graded. I get some sort of custom made case for it and display it. Unless you needed the money there is no way Id sell it, Id keep it to pass down through my family. It truly is a beautiful piece to have in your collection.
BengalsJayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote