Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Stephen Strasburg SuperFractor re-sells for $25,000

Stephen Strasburg SuperFractor re-sells for $25,000
June 28, 2010, 9:35 pm

2010 BOWMAN CHROME SUPERFRACTOR STEPHEN STRASBURG 1/1 - eBay (item 150458901752 end time Jun-28-10 19:35:12 PDT)

The Stephen Strasburg SuperFractor from 2010 Bowman has set yet another sales record.

The card sold for $25,000 after 75 bids on eBay Monday evening as Robert J. Power, opted to sell the card in the wake of the publicity that the since-removed 1/1 Red autograph generated on the auction block. (The Red autograph, the only card that can presently top the SuperFractor in significance, neared $1 million in bad bids before it the auction was ended this past weekend.)

Power’s auction ended Monday, topping the previous mark of $16,304 he paid for the card before Strasburg made his MLB debut earlier this month. The new sale sets a record for a SuperFractor.

Power said a quick flip of the card wasn’t necessarily in his plans, though the card landed him an interview on ESPN’s “First Take.” He said the 1/1 autograph and the fact that he bought the card before Strasburg’s MLB debut prompted his “Hail Mary” attempt at cashing in short-term instead of waiting for the long haul with the highly touted Washington Nationals pitcher.

“I saw what the Red auto 1/1 is going for,” he previously told Beckett Media. “So I thought I’d throw up a Hail Mary.”

When pressed to name a price during his ESPN interview, Power said he’d sell the card for $30,000. His reserve on the auction was much lower — closer to $20,000 territory.

After five big-league starts, Strasburg holds a 2-2 record with a 2.27 ERA. However, he has struck out 55 and walked nine in approximately 30 innings of work.

Stephen Strasburg SuperFractor re-sells for $25,000 The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Inactive Account

asdfasdfasdf

Last edited by topherkris1; 11-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.
topherkris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

and don't forget 775.30 in ebay & paypal fees for the superior service.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topherkris1 View Post
It sucks that a bunch of phony bids screwed this guy. I'm sure he was expecting crazy money and in the end probably only made a few grand after fees, insurance to grade it, shipping and all that jazzy.
What? Are you talking about the Red 1/1 or this non-auto 1/1?

This guy made quite a bit more than a few grand on this card. He made at least $7K on a $16K investment. Not to shabby for a few weeks worth of work being interviewed on TV and typing an ebay description.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I agree with wheeler on this. 7k profit on a 16k investment. I would do that in a heart beat. I would say that the end bid or what the card sells for is worth the work it took to make 7k.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NT676NT

The guy everyone condemned as a moron for paying 16k has just flipped this baby into a sweet profit. How ironic...
NT676NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just in the nick of time to sell. Stras' hype is starting to slide, since his teams not giving him any run support. It sucks for him these tough losses for him are just going to be looked at as flat out losses in the future. People will forget he's losing games like 1-0, or because of errors and stupid defensive plays.
I can't imagine the red auto going nearly as much if the guy puts it back up. Tough loss for him too.
theriznod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriznod View Post
Just in the nick of time to sell. Stras' hype is starting to slide, since his teams not giving him any run support. It sucks for him these tough losses for him are just going to be looked at as flat out losses in the future. People will forget he's losing games like 1-0, or because of errors and stupid defensive plays.
I can't imagine the red auto going nearly as much if the guy puts it back up. Tough loss for him too.
Except for last nights outing against the Braves...I know he only had 3 ER's...but it seemed like he lost a lot of momentem late in his appearance.
loganc169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just me, or does something look odd in that bidding history?

The winning bidder had a bid of $25k placed on 6/27 at 18:43:12. The previous high bid was $24k. Presumably, the winning bid them became $24,100. I say this because of the next bid.

The second place bidder comes along and bids $24,200 on 6/27 at 23:14:57, 4.5 hours later. 14 second later, he ups his bid to the same $25k as the winning bidder... and stops.

The card ends 18+ hours later for the same $25k.

Maybe the second place bidder forgot to set a snipe? It just looks weird that he bids twice that quickly, gets to the limit of the original bid, and stops. And, no, I'm not claiming any shenanigans went on; the #2 bidder is obviously not a shill (but has a truckload of bid retractions).
Pills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

...and the original buyer exits the hobby again stage left
cardinalsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

$16,000+ investment. A week or two of fame, being the subject of countless articles, appearing on ESPN, having your transaction named on Jay Leno and several nationally televised baseball games. $7,000 pure profit on a 1 month investment.

I'm sure the guy is not wallowing in self pity.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

I cant help but remember the know it alls in here saying the guy was an idiot. Amazing isnt it? Now Im sure we will see some of the same say they would have done it for a 7k profit. Big risk big reward. Top your cap to the guy, bold move and it paid off.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote