Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default So, have you landed an Allen & Ginter Stephen Strasburg card yet?

So, have you landed an Allen & Ginter Stephen Strasburg card yet?
June 30, 2010, 10:30 am

By CHRIS OLDS | Beckett Baseball | COMMENTARY

There’s no question which cards would be hottest out of the gates as the fifth installment of Topps‘ popular Allen & Ginter baseball card set officially arrives today.

It’s the last-second addition of a Stephen Strasburg mini card — and a redemption card for an autograph.

Both were expected to be short-printed cards, at least the autograph, with the mini card being at least as tough to find as any of the other 350-plus one-per-pack inserts are. (Ever try building that set out of packs? It takes work.)

But, as it turns out, the mini is proving to be a much tougher find.

How tough?

We asked Brent Williams, an Arkansas-based dealer who specializes in breaking cases in bulk and selling sets, lots and other cards that he finds.

“Strasburg is NOT in Ginter,” he insisted early Wednesday morning. “I have done 25 cases — another guy 13, and another 15. Zero Strasburgs.

“This is just stupid. No autograph redemptions, either.”

That’s more than 7,000 packs opened by Williams alone — not one Strasburg.

Some Topps officials have stated to customers that the mini was not a Rip Card inclusion, nor was it a super short-print. However, by later Wednesday morning Williams said he had talked to even more dealers and collectors — with a total surpassing 100 cases opened … and still no Strasburgs.

So, is it a collation problem? Or are the cards much, much more limited than previously believed? Could they be in retail packs still to come?

We’ll find out as once as a collector finds one. A message to Topps concerning the relative scarcity of the Strasburg was not returned earlier this week — before the hubbub on this card ignited as the empty mylar wrappers mounted Tuesday evening.

The unfortunate part of this whole equation is that for many collectors — particularly those not part of the prospecting crowd — this card would have been an easy buying/selling point for the product without being immensely rare or any tougher than any other mini card. Like 2010 Bowman showed, the interest and demand for Strasburg cards right now isn’t limited to the rarest of the rare or just the autographed cards. The reasonable possibility of landing a standard Strasburg card has had plenty of collectors buying more packs and boxes than they typically would — and it has created a healthy secondary market for unopened retail boxes.

Allen & Ginter has its own pre-made collecting base — one with different buying and selling habits (typically a long-term hold instead of a sale) — one that hasn’t perhaps tapped into Strasburg-mania just yet. The madness wouldn’t die down if the card in this product were easily attainable — not yet.

While it’s compelling to consider the possibilities if Strasburg is a retail-only inclusion in Ginter, I’d think it to be less likely among the potential scenarios.

But, again, Topps isn’t talking — perhaps you guys, the collectors, will have something to say?

So, have you landed an Allen & Ginter Stephen Strasburg card yet? The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

25 cases and not one!

that must hurt
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its a huge kick in the junk for casebreakers like Brent. Way to go Topps for alienating your best customers
Chrisdg19006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some people are saying stras might of missed the print run and will be added later on. If that was the case wouldnt topps be smart and switch a couple of boxes with the stras before delivery. So i'm not sure
superwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just wanted to make a couple other points:

1.) No Stras means 2010 A&G is easily 50% overpriced, unless you're after the coveted Shawn Johnson or Tony Hawk autos, but personally I could care less.

2.) If Topps uses the same strategy for Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome, they are 50% overpriced.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdg19006 View Post
I just wanted to make a couple other points:

1.) No Stras means 2010 A&G is easily 50% overpriced, unless you're after the coveted Shawn Johnson or Tony Hawk autos, but personally I could care less.

2.) If Topps uses the same strategy for Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome, they are 50% overpriced.
Considering Topps specifically stated that Strasburg's debut would be in A&G, and in what form, is my problem.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

wow... topps has some... splaining to do.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Considering Topps specifically stated that Strasburg's debut would be in A&G, and in what form, is my problem.
leaves them way open for multiple interpretations
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I actually bought a base set off feebay from a case ripper who stated in his auction that the Stras would be included since it was supposed to be a base card.

I could be a jerk and file a claim since there probably wont be a Stras, but I'll be nice and just blame Topps.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I actually bought a base set off feebay from a case ripper who stated in his auction that the Stras would be included since it was supposed to be a base card.

I could be a jerk and file a claim since there probably wont be a Stras, but I'll be nice and just blame Topps.
Unless you bought a mini set, you have nothing to blame Topps about. They said from day 1 that Strasburg would not have a base card. Only a mini and an autograph. Seller must not have known what he was talking about.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

from twitter;

to @toppscards Will the Strasburg mini be hobby exclusive or in retail as well? 1:29 PM Jun 23rd via web in reply to toppscards

to @frzg It will be in both. 1:30 PM Jun 23rd via TweetDeck in reply to frzg

humm
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhat View Post
from twitter;

to @toppscards Will the Strasburg mini be hobby exclusive or in retail as well? 1:29 PM Jun 23rd via web in reply to toppscards

to @frzg It will be in both. 1:30 PM Jun 23rd via TweetDeck in reply to frzg

humm
Not is?????????
raiderguy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not to defend topps, but at that point "will be" is correct since the product hadn't released yet.
AndyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

or that it was added to later cases of hobby that haven't been shipped
Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

sorry; didn't see the date. i thought the tweet was from today
Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

my fault should of said it was a tweet from last week.. but you can interpret it as they will add the card on later shipment of hobby cases and then retail.

That would keep the buyers coming, but will run the chance of losing some faithful customers.

But when you run a monopoly its easy to play with other peoples money!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

I sincerely hope those who have broken dozens of cases of this product weren't doing so for the sole purpose of pulling his card.

That's never a good idea.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
I sincerely hope those who have broken dozens of cases of this product weren't doing so for the sole purpose of pulling his card.

That's never a good idea.

I'm not sure of everyone else, but I don't think anyone bought this product for the sole purpose of strasburg. However I do know they had to pay more because of it.

How much would you pay for each box;

Allen & Ginter w/o Strasburg
Allen & Ginter w/ possible Strasburg
Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwhat View Post
I'm not sure of everyone else, but I don't think anyone bought this product for the sole purpose of strasburg. However I do know they had to pay more because of it.

How much would you pay for each box;

Allen & Ginter w/o Strasburg
Allen & Ginter w/ possible Strasburg

Without Strasburg - $50

W/Possible Strasburg - $75

W/Possible super short printed Strasburg - $65
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Without Strasburg - $50

W/Possible Strasburg - $75

W/Possible super short printed Strasburg - $65

it was a hypothetical but that sounds about right..lol
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

There was a Strasburg Mini up on the bay, and it was over a thousand dollars. But the seller ended it early just like the red auto 1/1. So there out there..
SeanieTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think it is Topps taking FULL advantage of the Stras hype. If they bait and switched the Stras cards, then shame on them, but they are trying to take full advantage of the Strasburg hype and turning it into $$$$$. Look for this to continue for every Topps product for the rest of the year, or until his hype dies down to where prices are reasonable again. IMO . . .
Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanieTheMan View Post
There was a Strasburg Mini up on the bay, and it was over a thousand dollars. But the seller ended it early just like the red auto 1/1. So there out there..
Can you confirm that the Strasburg Mini was in fact not a copied image the Topps released?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Can you confirm that the Strasburg Mini was in fact not a copied image the Topps released?
If he's talking about one of the only two I have seen, then it was a copied picture from the topps image.
AndyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanieTheMan View Post
They were presells hoping to cash in on being the first ones on ebay. They used the image Topps gave beckett for their auctions. Once the sellers realized it wasn't likely that they were going to pull the cards, they took the listings down.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote