Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings NCAA

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just pulled a 1982 Fleer Ripken - any idea on the grade?

Bought 2 packs of 1982 Fleer and decided to keep one sealed and open one. Actually pulled a Ripken rookie in just the one pack. Corners are very sharp and the left to right centering is pretty good. My only concern is that the top to bottom is off.

My knee jerk reaction is that it would grade either an 8 or a 9. Definitely too off-centered to pull a 10. But do you think it is off centered enough to pull an "OC" qualifier? I wouldn't mind a PSA 9 in my collection. Not sure if this is the one or not...

thoughts? Sorry for the picture...snapped on my phone as I was walking out the door this morning.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure if it helps but it does seem off top to bottom. I don't think it's enough to get an OC qualifier, though.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

If off t/b for sure rest looks clean but you can't tell much on a card like this by a scan
Old 03-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
Sorry for the picture[/IMG]
just so we are clear, Mr Ripken's junk is NOT really glowing right?
kinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's always nice to pull a sweet HOF rookie from old wax! If you are looking for a 9, I don't think this makes the cut. Still, you have a nice find that you can proudly say that you pulled yourself.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome pull! Always a good feeling but prob an 8.
Ripkenfan126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice card there. In addition to what has been noted already I feel that this is slightly diamond cut as well. Bottom right looks to be a little lower than the bottom left.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
Nice card there. In addition to what has been noted already I feel that this is slightly diamond cut as well. Bottom right looks to be a little lower than the bottom left.
The card is not diamond cut, but the image has a slight tilt. Many cards have this. Including 10's. Please take a look at the Dimitri Young PSA 10 collection if you get time.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinar View Post
just so we are clear, Mr Ripken's junk is NOT really glowing right?
Well....he is known as the Iron Man....so who knows.... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cardboard View Post
It's always nice to pull a sweet HOF rookie from old wax! If you are looking for a 9, I don't think this makes the cut. Still, you have a nice find that you can proudly say that you pulled yourself.
Ya, I think the grader would have to be having a great day for this to pass as a 9. Im thinking 8 as of right now as well. Which means it'd be worth about the same as the cost to grade it. Not all bad I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmint View Post
If off t/b for sure rest looks clean but you can't tell much on a card like this by a scan
Ya, holding it in hand it definitely looks pretty good. corners and edges are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripkenfan126 View Post
Awesome pull! Always a good feeling but prob an 8.
That's what Im leaning towards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
I'll have to double check the diamond cutting observation. It might just be the penny sleeve, but I'll have to check tonight. Now that I look at the bottom, it does appear to have a little tilt to it.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
The card is not diamond cut, but the image has a slight tilt. Many cards have this. Including 10's. Please take a look at the Dimitri Young PSA 10 collection if you get time.
It's impossible to tell from a phone pic. But it's not a simple matter of the image being tilted (it may be tilted but it doesn't explain the non-straight edges). The card is not square in the photo but it's most likely a lens effect from the phone camera rather than a diamond cut.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
It's impossible to tell from a phone pic. But it's not a simple matter of the image being tilted (it may be tilted but it doesn't explain the non-straight edges). The card is not square in the photo but it's most likely a lens effect from the phone camera rather than a diamond cut.
Personally, I can tell it's not diamond cut. Go look up examples of diamond cut cards and then come back and look at the Ripken. It's like the '79 Topps Ozzie Smith. Often, the card has a slight tilt, even in high grades, but 99 out of 100 times, the card is not diamond cut.

What I think some of you are seeing on the Ripken is a distortion of the photo. If you look at the outside edges of the card saver, you can see it looks distorted as well.

The Ripken has a slight tilt. No diamond cut.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
What I think some of you are seeing on the Ripken is a distortion of the photo. If you look at the outside edges of the card saver, you can see it looks distorted as well.
You don't say....

Quote:
The card is not square in the photo but it's most likely a lens effect from the phone camera rather than a diamond cut.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

ok...ok...ok...I'll scan it properly when I get home. hahaha
Old 03-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't say....
I have noticed you are popping off smart mouth comments at a lot of members today. What is your deal? We don't need that on here as it just takes good threads down the toilet. Please, let's be civil with one another.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I have noticed you are popping off smart mouth comments at a lot of members today. What is your deal? We don't need that on here as it just takes good threads down the toilet. Please, let's be civil with one another.
Who is we? Did we now nominate someone to tell people how things go around here?
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
"Popping off smart mouth comments?" Come on now, that's nothing. "You don't say..." is a smart mouth comment?

I admit that I will point out when someone quotes my post and then either proceeds to ignore what I said or infer the complete opposite of what I said.

Twice you decreed that it's 100% not diamond cut. The thread does down toilet when someone calls that into question? Or worse yet, agrees with you?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Who is we? Did we now nominate someone to tell people how things go around here?
It's called having respect for one another. It also keeps the baseball related content more rich and educational, which tends to attract new members from other boards where they are having less and less of that.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
"Popping off smart mouth comments?" Come on now, that's nothing. "You don't say..." is a smart mouth comment?

I admit that I will point out when someone quotes my post and then either proceeds to ignore what I said or infer the complete opposite of what I said.

Twice you decreed that it's 100% not diamond cut. The thread does down toilet when someone calls that into question? Or worse yet, agrees with you?
Disagreement is fine. The "You don't say" smarty pants comment is what is uncalled for in a respectful conversation over a card. Comments like that are only begging for the conversation to go south. Know what I mean?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Disagreement is fine. The "You don't say" smarty pants comment is what is uncalled for in a respectful conversation over a card.
Uh oh. Do I have to skip recess now?

Quote:
Comments like that are only begging for the conversation to go south. Know what I mean?
It wasn't a conversation. It was you pontificating without regard for what anyone else was saying. My "smarty pants" response was just a friendly dig to bring you back down to Earth (and before this gets out of hand, so is my "smarty pants" response above). This is all over a hastily snapped phone photo. We really can't make reliable judgements on that corner.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Uh oh. Do I have to skip recess now?

It wasn't a conversation. It was you pontificating without regard for what anyone else was saying. My "smarty pants" response was just a friendly dig to bring you back down to Earth (and before this gets out of hand, so is my "smarty pants" response above). This is all over a hastily snapped phone photo. We really can't make reliable judgements on that corner.

If a person is educated on what a diamond cut card truly is, there is not even a debate as to whether the card is diamond cut. Clearly, it's not. I'm done with this thread because I can see there is nothing positive going to come from this going back and forth with you.

This is a diamond cut card:

Last edited by Old Cardboard; 03-03-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Disagreement is fine. The "You don't say" smarty pants comment is what is uncalled for in a respectful conversation over a card. Comments like that are only begging for the conversation to go south. Know what I mean?
Actually your comments are what makes a thread go south. Not the first time you have caused problems in a thread and you sir are genuinely clueless. Are you that bitter in person?
Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

Card looks way off center in the back Grimster but I am sure I didn't have to tell you that. Card front does also appear to be off center left to right and top to bottom.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimster View Post

Gem mint 10 send it in :-)
hofcollector2 is online now   Reply With Quote