Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #26 (permalink)

Beckett gives these cards out, thus they have a lot to gain. Giving out an Adrian Peterson Exquisite 1/1 gives them a huge amount of publicity. Think about it, individual sees a Beckett Football Magazine. The covers says, "Win XXX Card(which they pulled in a box break." Said individual decides to buy the Beckett to learn more about how they can win that card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
BTW - I read the rest of the comments posted after the article on beckett and still don't really see what the big deal is. I think Chris handled the responses professionally and still don't really see what I should be outraged by. Beckett really doesn't have anything to gain by companies sending them loaded boxes, so even if it happening I think people need to focus their rants where they belong, and thats with the companies sending the boxes. It does seem beckett pulls an unusual amount of nice hits from their box breaks compared to what I see opened at shows or my LCS, but I see nice stuff... better stuff even... come from local boxes. It just usually takes multiple cases to produce what they get in a couple boxes. But again, I don't blame beckett for that if there is anything/anyone to be blamed at all. I'll say I've watched where beckett has had below average boxes too. I tuned into the Topps Series 2 box break and saw nothing pulled that I would even consider above average, much less a great pull.

I have issues with many things about beckett/BGS, but have always thought that Chris was one of the only guys associated with the company (thats a public figure anyway) that seems to really care and have a feel for his customers. I have even more respect for him after the way he handled this. It seems like when Jim Beckett sold the company, things started going downhill and it became way more corporate than it used to be. Chris seems like one of the only "throwbacks" that still tries to stay in touch with the hobby and its customers. I appreciate the effort and professionalism he gives in the face of grade school name calling.
Super32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Their argument in this whole thing is that there are thousands upon thousands of 1 of 1's, while that is a valid statement...he doesn't note the steep rates that these cards are put into a product by.

There may be a couple hundred 1 of 1's in Topps Tribute, but that sure doesn't make them an easy pull. Don't get me wrong it is possible to pull these cards, but the way he is trying to make it sound is that you can pull a 1 of 1 every other pack where that is no where farther from the truth.
BuckeyeState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeState View Post
he is trying to make it sound is that you can pull a 1 of 1 every other pack where that is no where farther from the truth.
Yeah

For an "editor" of a sports magazine, he really doesn't have a clue what the hell he's doing.

Did I mention he's a slob?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Chris Olds is a valued member of this forum. You all should be banned for what you've been saying.

Just kidding.

I heard Chris Olds was fat.
Brilliant!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #30 (permalink)

How on God's Green Earth is not putting printing plates into packs taking the high road? Does it provide future temptation to reprint products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Sportkings doesn't insert printing plates into any of their products. They could add a lot more 1/1s to their stuff, but again, they are taking the high road when no one else will.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

I like how the OP asks for Dr. Beckett's personal email when the guy hasn't been associated with the company in 5 years. What do you really expect to get out of Dr. Beckett?

There's a whole lot of tough internet talkers in this thread.
WJCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If none of you "believe" in Beckett, why the heck does it bother you so much that they get loaded boxes?

And for Beckett... why not take some of that cash you get from grading cards and buy boxes when they actually hit the street from your own LCS? That way all the haters would have one less thing to bitch about. Oh, and ps, get my subscription to me on time, dang it!

Yes, I read Beckett. So sue me.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
How on God's Green Earth is not putting printing plates into packs taking the high road? Does it provide future temptation to reprint products?
You obviously have not seen, or heard of, the unnatural man-love that wheeler has for Sportkings...

On the Beckett deal, I am not crazy about some of things they have done (BCCG, the Stras incident and that god-awful website redesign come to mind), but I don't see them as the devil in the trading card business. My main gripe is how a card grading company also sells cards for customers. I see a huge conflict of interest there...
golferphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
If none of you "believe" in Beckett, why the heck does it bother you so much that they get loaded boxes?
Because it misrepresents the product in an attempt to sell to unwitting collectors.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

Beckett lost my respect and most of the hobby's when it started to grade and sell cards. No way you can report on card prices when you are in the business of selling cards- you lost your objectivitiy!!!

If Beckett wanted a true sample of a box of cards do what we do- buy them off a shelf at a local hobby store. Beckett knows their getting loaded boxes- give me a break.

Beckett is the WORST thing that has happened to this HOBBY in the history of the HOBBY.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoecollector View Post
Because it misrepresents the product in an attempt to sell to unwitting collectors.
I would assume you don't count yourself as one of them. If you're concerned about everyone else, why not crusade around e-bay warning the "unwitting" about unscrupulous sellers there? I think there's a lot worse going on there compared to a box break done by Beckett. Heck, there's worse going on around here than compared to a Beckett break.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&M Sports View Post
Beckett lost my respect and most of the hobby's when it started to grade and sell cards. No way you can report on card prices when you are in the business of selling cards- you lost your objectivitiy!!!

If Beckett wanted a true sample of a box of cards do what we do- buy them off a shelf at a local hobby store. Beckett knows their getting loaded boxes- give me a break.

Beckett is the WORST thing that has happened to this HOBBY in the history of the HOBBY.
I agree with everything up to your last sentence. Greed is the worst thing that happened to this hobby, which is not limited to Beckett.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #38 (permalink)

I'm still trying to figure out what the number of 1/1 cards produced has anything to do with anything. Each card is still a 1/1 no matter how many other 1/1 cards are produced, it has no effect on it's value.

To me this seems like a rather silly attempt by Beckett to deflect criticism that because they are complicit in receiving loaded boxes collectors have no chance at getting some of the best cards being produced.
FellintoOblivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #39 (permalink)

umm...it's funny that everyone is caught up on the 1/1.
Didn't they pull a Strasburg redemption, and like a Ruth or Mantle Gu'd?

If you want to make the argument or be upset that it was "loaded" it wasn't simply pulling a 1/1.....it was top to bottom the best 2 box break of Tribute I've seen anywhere.
When you take all the cards into account it's hard to not be skeptical....and Beckett can't simply defend themselves with 1/1 stats...apparently their just the luckiest breakers in the world.
rymflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #40 (permalink)

Default As a former Beckett guy

I posted a long-winded comment in that thread.

One more things; I just think Chris' original post was to indicate in many ways just how common a 1/1 is in a relative term.

Rich
sabrgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #41 (permalink)

I do that actually. Perhaps you have not read http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/e...ches-ebay.html

I do not consider myself an unwitting collector. I just don't see how you can defend, in any way shape or form, Beckett in this situation.

Quote:
I would assume you don't count yourself as one of them. If you're concerned about everyone else, why not crusade around e-bay warning the "unwitting" about unscrupulous sellers there? I think there's a lot worse going on there compared to a box break done by Beckett. Heck, there's worse going on around here than compared to a Beckett break.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #42 (permalink)

Everyone is so upset with Beckett because they break good boxes, but they give these cards away. If the boxes are loaded, its the fault of the companies sending the boxes. If they are loaded, its a marketing ploy, just like watching a commercial.

People are saying that Beckett is making money from the giveaways because people will buy their magazine to see how to win, but they could probably find the same information on their website for free or even on the interwebs somewhere. Would collectors be mad if Topps made a 250 print run of a limited Strasburg card and gave them to Beckett to give them away free instead of putting them in packs collectors would have to buy? There is a math guy on this forum, I'm sure he could calculate the odds of winning the card from Beckett to the odds of pulling the same card from a normal box, I would think your odds are better to win from Beckett. It's no different than any other contest and yes I understand the "outrage" of pulling a 1/1, but you see the people who win the Beckett cards put them right up on ebay all the time anyway, so they eventually make their way into the secondary market and that supercollector will be able to get his or her 1/1.
hmmdecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #43 (permalink)

You have so missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmdecloth View Post
Everyone is so upset with Beckett because they break good boxes, but they give these cards away. If the boxes are loaded, its the fault of the companies sending the boxes. If they are loaded, its a marketing ploy, just like watching a commercial.

People are saying that Beckett is making money from the giveaways because people will buy their magazine to see how to win, but they could probably find the same information on their website for free or even on the interwebs somewhere. Would collectors be mad if Topps made a 250 print run of a limited Strasburg card and gave them to Beckett to give them away free instead of putting them in packs collectors would have to buy? There is a math guy on this forum, I'm sure he could calculate the odds of winning the card from Beckett to the odds of pulling the same card from a normal box, I would think your odds are better to win from Beckett. It's no different than any other contest and yes I understand the "outrage" of pulling a 1/1, but you see the people who win the Beckett cards put them right up on ebay all the time anyway, so they eventually make their way into the secondary market and that supercollector will be able to get his or her 1/1.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoecollector View Post
You have so missed the point.
Yeah, you missed the point. Joe is a Beckett hater, so there's no arguing with him. From plumbing to collecting, Joe's got everything covered.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #45 (permalink)

I just checked out iamjoecollector.blogspot.com. Now I know why Joe hates beckett. That has to be the only website around more messed up than Beckett.com.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #46 (permalink)

Can't argue the facts so you attack the person. Well done.

Edit: My site and search works. Not sure why you think my site is messed up unless you were just looking for something negative to say.

Quote:
I just checked out iamjoecollector.blogspot.com. Now I know why Joe hates beckett. That has to be the only website around more messed up than Beckett.com.

Last edited by iamjoecollector; 08-01-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added some facts maybe Oldy should try it sometime?
iamjoecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #47 (permalink)

Bottom line is, all of us who like collecting keep drinking the cardboard kool aid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opening a new hobby shop soon northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on facebook!
hanes1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

this thread = 5 stars.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
My rules are post count. Thus he's a n00b. Get your **** straight.
So by your rules, your a "n00b"! I love this game!
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Explanation please. Me = 600+ posts. Him = 300+. I win. He's a n00b. End of story. Also, it's "you're", not "your". You must've been a n00b at school I bet.

"You're" a n00b to me!

I guess "your" comprehension level wasn't that great in school.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote