Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Rant @ Chris Olds (Beckett Editor)

See link. Read the article and posts, particularly those posted at 9:25pm and 10:01pm. I'm sure that Beckett will have this post removed by the morning.

Screw Chris Olds. That guy is a jerk.

Also always looking for PSA graded vintage cards of HOFers and some newer rookies.
pzeniewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Link

The link is important:
Ever wonder how many 1/1 cards have been made? The Beckett Blog

Also always looking for PSA graded vintage cards of HOFers and some newer rookies.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Couldn't agree more with you man. That guy makes me cringe everytime I see him in their "rip" videos. He's arrogant, a slob, and just looks miserable. So don't worry man, I stand with you!!!

"'Nuff said" lol

-Kyle
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Not seeing any posts at the times you mentioned. What were they?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Not seeing any posts at the times you mentioned. What were they?
the ones by Pablo Z... but the whole post in general really, unless tubby Chris already removed them...

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesKRD View Post
Couldn't agree more with you man. That guy makes me cringe everytime I see him in their "rip" videos. He's arrogant, a slob, and just looks miserable. So don't worry man, I stand with you!!!

"'Nuff said" lol

-Kyle
Thanks bro. I just want to kick him in his sack. He's just such a dingbat.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I get he is annoying but what else
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default ...

He's a tub of slop lunch box jerk off.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Chris Olds is a valued member of this forum. You all should be banned for what you've been saying.

Just kidding.

I heard Chris Olds was fat.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Chris Olds is a valued member of this forum. You all should be banned for what you've been saying.

Just kidding.

I heard Chris Olds was fat.
He plays hockey, did ya know?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'll be the first to rip BGS for the Strasburg superfractor grade, but in this case nothing I read leaves me outraged in the slightest. Unless certain comments have been removed that I am missing, I think Olds responded reasonably and rationally to the comments. I'd prefer to not be put in a situation where I find myself agreeing and siding with beckett, but unless some additional deleted comments are revealed, I think thats pretty much where I'd side on this one.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

I don't care much for Chris Olds either, but Beckett?? What a scum bag company!!
gasper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Pablo was bragging about comments that hadn't yet been approved. (All are held for moderation -- i.e. profanity.)

However, they are on there now -- along with my reply.

I think his valuable comments here show where he stands. And I'd agree with OhioMike as to what is said over there.

But feel free to comment there, email me, etc.

Blowout can delete/remove whatever it likes from its message board. It's their deal.

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Baseball
chrisolds2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

Sadly, I'm going to agree with Chris. On every Beckett it shows "for entertainment purposes only". The fact is, since early 2000's/creation of ebay. It has been a poor way in my opinion on how to value cards. Many people on this forum, other forums across the nation would agree on this fact and say the true value is the cards sell value. Sadly, I don't see beckett coming close to SV on 90 percent of their cards listed.

However, with that said, the initial response with bold letters with the amount of 1/1's I felt could of been handled more professionally and in my mind I can see how it sparked people to be angry. Often we do so beckett with loaded boxes and often our money goes towards these boxes and we don't come close. We are influenced by the break to make the decision. Such that case if we were buying a house. We would be angry if we saw pictures of a house and when we bought it because of the "real estate salesman" said it would look exactly the same and went into the house seeing there was crap smeared across the walls we would be upset to. Hell, your bad box is my good box. Sadly, this is what happens with beckett often, and I am sure if I wanted to I could make this statistically significant. Don't have the time, variables, etc. etc.

I personally feel that he was right in the fact it is the companies fault for sending loaded boxes, as a marketing major, you are naturally going to send a top notch line product to your influencers (word of mouth marketing) which beckett is exceptionally good at. Look at the hype of the strasburg bowman, I can say that beckett is partially responsible for that.

Second, knocking Olds for the 9.5 strasburg is also wrong and he was right in his response there as well. Most companies use a divisional structure which I believe is what beckett uses so the magazine, online network, beckett submission and other facets of the company are managed differently. By referring you to the head of BGS is actually the best he could of done in his situation to be honest.

Now I don't know what you do with the cards from these boxes, but why not make readers happy by maybe sending out the cards randomly to your yearly subscribers along with their magazine (even if its a base card). It adds value to the magazine, makes readers happier, and lastly helps gives another selling point to the magazine (and more happy readers with 1/1s show up at their doors. To me it would be a win-win.

There are 4 major things I see wrong with beckett
1. Major issues with lists SV to BV often being wrong. However, I can see how this can't change because if they lower all the cards to the SV I can see it continuing to drive lower and lower and could hurt whats left of card stores around the nation.

2. The "loaded box breaks" either there has to be a sit down with companies (which I believe it is topps, upper deck, paninis) fault for sending these boxes in the first place into finding a better way of handling this, maybe having a board member winning the early break and having the cards instead of beckett doing so. Why? Because as collectors it is nice to see another collector receive the cards and not you guys. No offense, I don't know what will happen to that pujols and if im a pujols 1/1 supercollector i'd prob be pissed.
or B - prior suggestion of mass mailings of adding value in your magazine

3) Lack of added value in magazines - I'm sorry a 8 price point I feel is very high for your magazine. I remember when there were promo cards etc in these. I can see doing something more for yearly subscribers more then 2 bgs submissions as well. Sorry, I don't see that as enough. The raffles are good, but its a start. i think beckett can do better here. The price point also applies online. Again, I don't feel that beckett is even close to these values (SV vs. BV) and to pay x amount (5-8) bucks a month seems rather high. I feel a price point of 3.99 online month per section and 5.99 a month per issue would be more effective, although no marketing statistics to prove this, more of a opinion then fact.

4) The beckett website is the biggest mess of information I have ever witnessed and that is why I will never go there. Somebody get a couple web developers and clean that up. The top section, bottom toolbars look professional. But man the front page needs to be cleaned up, and there has to be a cleaner format to the message boards there. Its a pain in the ass to navigate in my opinion again.

Well. Rant done

http://yankeesgofor28.blogspot.com/
Cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

From the Horse's mouth on Twitter:

StevenLJudd So Beckett got a loaded box, big deal. I "packed" quite a few of them over the years. Get over it. It's part of the business. Geez.....

That my friends, in my opinion is a very serious admission to unfair trade practices. Mr. Judd is now a Beckett employee. Make of this what you will. Judd followed up with:

Just to be clear, Beckett or the folks who work there have nothing to do with the "loaded" boxes they receive. It's the PDT/marketing.....
.....people at the card companies that plot and scheme to jerrymander the box/boxes.

Obviously this means that Beckett knows that it happens yet ignores it and presents the boxes as being representative of the product. Do with it what you will, although I don't know how this can be taken any other way than the way that I do.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

lol

this thread is getting really funny
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoecollector View Post
From the Horse's mouth on Twitter:

StevenLJudd So Beckett got a loaded box, big deal. I "packed" quite a few of them over the years. Get over it. It's part of the business. Geez.....

That my friends, in my opinion is a very serious admission to unfair trade practices. Mr. Judd is now a Beckett employee. Make of this what you will. Judd followed up with:

Just to be clear, Beckett or the folks who work there have nothing to do with the "loaded" boxes they receive. It's the PDT/marketing.....
.....people at the card companies that plot and scheme to jerrymander the box/boxes.

Obviously this means that Beckett knows that it happens yet ignores it and presents the boxes as being representative of the product. Do with it what you will, although I don't know how this can be taken any other way than the way that I do.
Well, I didn't really need that to convince me, but now it makes no doubt in my mind Beckett receives loaded boxes. I mean, it's a business, Topps and other major manufacturers want as much publicity as possible... except collectors notice the unethical (read: plain wrong) practices.

I don't think Beckett ever asked for loaded boxes. But the fact is they are clumsily attempting to deny receiving them... that's not right.

Of course, I don't expect large companies to admit their wrongdoings. We don't live in a fairy tale. That is exactly why Chris Olds point of :

Quote:
Furthermore, if you’d like to accuse Topps of sending loaded boxes more directly, you can contact Clay Luraschi at Topps directly cluraschi@topps.com.

I’m confident he will tell you what he’s told us — and countless others, no doubt — that they just pick the boxes from their allotment and have no idea what is inside them.
... just doesn't make sense. You think ANY Topps representative would admit sending loaded boxes to anyone ? Of course not. It's their job to deny it! Come on... it's not like they are gonna reply to a customer complaint ''yeah, now that you mention it... we forgot to tell the world about it but... we do send loaded boxes to Beckett. Sorry about that, please keep buying our products. ''

And just after that, Chris Olds adds:

Quote:
By the way, there are more than 800 1/1s in 2010 Topps Tribute…
Right. That has just as much value as his initial blog post's 29,793 1/1 baseball cards made in 2009. Beckett didn't get a random 1/1 in their ''publicity'' Tribute box... a T205 1/1 of Pujols!! The best baseball player currently active (and you can argue that, I don't mind... just check any top list of currently active baseball players on reputable sites).

Now... there are so much other examples of major pulls coming from Beckett demo boxes... it's ridiculous.

Ok, Chris Olds make a couple decent points here and there in the comments section, but I mean... are there any Beckett believers out there ?

The sports cards industry is a billion dollars industry. And I believe where there's money, there's wangling.
remlaf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

ok, we all know that Topps, Upper Deck and Panini do know what's in their boxes to some extent. How do I know that?

They guarantee case hits don't they. If they didn't know what was in a box how could they make sure the case hit box got put in case? Or the pack in the box for that matter?

That's why you should never buy a loose box of 2007 exquisite football. The serial number of the box with the top tier rookie has a serial number that is way off from the other two. I opened a case last year and I commented at the time I knew which one it was. They are packed out that way.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoecollector View Post
ok, we all know that Topps, Upper Deck and Panini do know what's in their boxes to some extent. How do I know that?

They guarantee case hits don't they. If they didn't know what was in a box how could they make sure the case hit box got put in case? Or the pack in the box for that matter?

That's why you should never buy a loose box of 2007 exquisite football. The serial number of the box with the top tier rookie has a serial number that is way off from the other two. I opened a case last year and I commented at the time I knew which one it was. They are packed out that way.
But do they know exactly which case hit is in the case ? I'm not sure.
But I DO think they know exactly what hits are sent to Beckett's demo boxes. A nice little Tribute Pujols 1/1, for example.
remlaf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisolds2004 View Post
Pablo was bragging about comments that hadn't yet been approved. (All are held for moderation -- i.e. profanity.)

However, they are on there now -- along with my reply.

I think his valuable comments here show where he stands. And I'd agree with OhioMike as to what is said over there.

But feel free to comment there, email me, etc.

Blowout can delete/remove whatever it likes from its message board. It's their deal.

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Baseball
Well looks like StevenLJudd outed you liars. You know what is happening and trying to come and defend it everywhere.
VikaSoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #21 (permalink)

The bigger issue here imo is the number of "1/1's" highlighted for baseball alone....that is VERY distrubing and shows a MAJOR problem in this "hobby"...one of MANY
CheathamHill on ToppsBunt app
WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhacksPacks View Post
The bigger issue here imo is the number of "1/1's" highlighted for baseball alone....that is VERY distrubing and shows a MAJOR problem in this "hobby"...one of MANY
I wonder how many of that number came from Topps Moments and Milestones alone? Add to that the press plates that are in every product (which I personally don't really consider to be true 1 of 1's) and I think the end number would be much more reasonable. Its not like average boxes of any product are yielding even one much less multiple 1/1's. I don't think its really a problem at all and certainly not a major one. The secondary market is smart enough to differentiate between a Topps Moments & Milestones Red 1/1 or a regular press plate and a Bowman Chrome Superfractor or Topps Platinum parallel 1/1. The difference is in the price. The truely rare stuff still sells high. The "junk" 1/1's don't dilute all 1/1's, collectors as a whole are smarter than that.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Add to that the press plates that are in every product (which I personally don't really consider to be true 1 of 1's) and I think the end number would be much more reasonable.
Sportkings doesn't insert printing plates into any of their products. They could add a lot more 1/1s to their stuff, but again, they are taking the high road when no one else will.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

BTW - I read the rest of the comments posted after the article on beckett and still don't really see what the big deal is. I think Chris handled the responses professionally and still don't really see what I should be outraged by. Beckett really doesn't have anything to gain by companies sending them loaded boxes, so even if it happening I think people need to focus their rants where they belong, and thats with the companies sending the boxes. It does seem beckett pulls an unusual amount of nice hits from their box breaks compared to what I see opened at shows or my LCS, but I see nice stuff... better stuff even... come from local boxes. It just usually takes multiple cases to produce what they get in a couple boxes. But again, I don't blame beckett for that if there is anything/anyone to be blamed at all. I'll say I've watched where beckett has had below average boxes too. I tuned into the Topps Series 2 box break and saw nothing pulled that I would even consider above average, much less a great pull.

I have issues with many things about beckett/BGS, but have always thought that Chris was one of the only guys associated with the company (thats a public figure anyway) that seems to really care and have a feel for his customers. I have even more respect for him after the way he handled this. It seems like when Jim Beckett sold the company, things started going downhill and it became way more corporate than it used to be. Chris seems like one of the only "throwbacks" that still tries to stay in touch with the hobby and its customers. I appreciate the effort and professionalism he gives in the face of grade school name calling.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Sportkings doesn't insert printing plates into any of their products. They could add a lot more 1/1s to their stuff, but again, they are taking the high road when no one else will.
I don't think press plates are a bad thing. I think its neat to own a hobby relic (something used in the process of making cards) in addition to the sport relics. I just don't view them as being true 1/1's, but they certainly add to the overall count quite a bit. I'd just like to see a product number them accurately as 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4. But again, the secondary market pretty much corrects itself by printing plates selling so low compared to other 1/1's. So its not a HUGE problem to me.