Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hobby Packs @ Newbury Comics

I've been spending a lot more here than at Target or Wal-Mart, and I've rarely pulled anything good despite the high prices.....

Best pulls:
Adam LaRoche Bazooka Back Mini /25 from Ginter
Pujols Chrome /1961 from Heritage
A-Rod /25 from 08 Moments and Milestones
Matt Cain No # Mini from Ginter

No relics/autos out of Ginter packs OR Series 2 packs. I have a feeling they are searched there. At card shops, I've pulled 1 auto, 2 relics from A&G and 1 auto and 1 relic from S2.

While there is no question that hobby packs there are better to buy than the retail crap at Target and Wal-Mart of Series 2, I have trouble with the A&G prices.

For $3 I can get a retail pack
For $6 I can get a hobby pack

Any thoughts??

Also, how about prices on previous products??
$4 hobby pack '10 Heritage
$8 hobby pack '09 Topps Unique
$7 hobby pack '09 UD Sig Stars

and all crap pulled so far.
sportscards1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

The packs I've seen at Newbury Comics have been overpriced. The only reasonable ones were on 2010 Topps packs and cereal boxes. They also finally lowered the price on 2007 Upper Deck Masterpieces, which they had marked for $7 or $9 or something nuts (now a still-not-great $5). They do have some 2009 A&G that are also now marked down to $5.
astrosox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh man when i see the words Newbury Comics it brings me back to when i Managed a Record Distributor back in the 80's. Every week the Newbury Comics order would come out usually 6 pages long always looking for stuff that was deleted or out of stock. I always had to pick the order no way would i let an order picker take it they would have been walking around for 4 hours constantly asking me do we have this. That was a great job always getting records before they where released and of course at a discount.
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

you might have not pulled any hits" but I would be much happier with a bazooka back then a 0.50 cent jersey
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbreaker88 View Post
you might have not pulled any hits" but I would be much happier with a bazooka back then a 0.50 cent jersey
Oh, that was kind of an exception....I sold it for $20 on eBay. But I've also gotten LCS packs of A&G, with:
Ben Sheets Bazooka /25
Colby Rasmus Bat
Jeff Francis Auto

About the same amount of packs, and 2 framed hits. Just kind of a gut feeling that Newbury is searched heavily.

And why does a retail store have hobby and jumbo packs like this??

BTW, my friend just got a Series 2 jumbo pack there and pulled a Ubaldo Jimenez auto. Not too shabby!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Heritage isn't worth it. For the past few years, retail is just as good as hobby, if not better.

ETA: You can still find Heritage retail for $3/pack, or you can occasionally still find blasters for $20.

Last edited by Pills; 08-19-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Pills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

The employees who are sport fans at Newbury comics search the crap out of the packs, don't buy them.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
zep

Their warehouse orders cases of every product and only sends loose packs to the individual stores.

I've bought a lot of product there over the past few years. Since they are only sent packs, the hits from a box may or may not go to any specific store. There have been times when I've bought 24 packs and only got 1 or 2 of the 3 hits that 24 packs would normally give and there have been times I've gotten 5 or 6 hits out of 24 packs.

I've gotten plenty of good stuff there with nothing ever making me think they are searching packs.

I do agree they are overpriced but they do have a great selection of almost every currently released product.
zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

After working at a Card Store for years, I can tell you that searching packs was a no no. It was more profitable for a customer to get a hit than it would be for a card shop owner or employee to get those hits. Imagine a guy opening box of cards with 3-5 guys standing around, and he just hits a monster AP rookie, Favre auto, or a Cut! That pumps everyone up. People get excited and start buying more product - plus those customers will come back. If we could put more hits in the boxes, we would have.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep View Post
Their warehouse orders cases of every product and only sends loose packs to the individual stores.

I've bought a lot of product there over the past few years. Since they are only sent packs, the hits from a box may or may not go to any specific store. There have been times when I've bought 24 packs and only got 1 or 2 of the 3 hits that 24 packs would normally give and there have been times I've gotten 5 or 6 hits out of 24 packs.

I've gotten plenty of good stuff there with nothing ever making me think they are searching packs.

I do agree they are overpriced but they do have a great selection of almost every currently released product.
My search theory was really based on the fact that they have a hobby box of A&G there which I have bought A LOT of packs from, and I know others who have bought from that box, and no hits for any of us....
Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscards1013 View Post
My search theory was really based on the fact that they have a hobby box of A&G there which I have bought A LOT of packs from, and I know others who have bought from that box, and no hits for any of us....

more than likely that wasn't a sealed box when the store got it. If it was searched, it was searched at the warehouse. Can't say one way or the other weather it's searched or not in your case. They might be using the same box over and over. Each of their orders is sent automatically and only to replenish what they already sold prior to that order. So if they had a box and sold 10 packs, the next delivery would have 10 packs and they would go back into the box mixed in with the other 14.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
zep

LOL - I picked up the 2 jumbo packs they had left during lunch today and pulled this out of the first pack

Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep View Post
LOL - I picked up the 2 jumbo packs they had left during lunch today and pulled this out of the first pack

OK, so not searched where you are, lol!!! Feel free to send that my way as my compensation for having a searched store.....PM for my address!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have been buying cards at newbury for about 2 years and yes the packs are overpriced, but I have pulled some good stuff. My experience is that 1 in about 10-15 packs have given me hits. I'm not sure if they are searched or not. I don't have an LCM so Newbury is all I have and I'm fine with it even though a majority of their new packs are $7.49.