Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
 
blowoutcards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,253
Default Bryce Harper Superfractor sale confirmed at $12,500

Bryce Harper Superfractor sale confirmed at $12,500
September 28, 2010, 3:08 pm

2010 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper USA Superfractor 1/1 RC - eBay (item 180559903320 end time Sep-18-10 18:20:14 PDT)

The season started with a high-profile SuperFractor sale from 2010 Bowman and it’s winding down with one as well.

The Bryce Harper USA Baseball 1/1 from the overwhelmingly popular prospecting line has sold and was confirmed as a $12,500 purchase on eBay, emulating the other high-profile Washington Nationals sale of earlier this year — the $21,403 Stephen Strasburg.
This time, though, the card took a little more time on the auction block before actually selling — it was listed five times, according to original owner Earnest Clinton — before it was purchased by Aaron Marcus of Long Island, N.Y.

“I am not going to sell the card, as I want it for my personal collection,” Marcus said on Tuesday. “I might consider selling some of the other Bryces that I own someday, though.”

Among the other cards of the 17-year-old Nationals prospect in his collection are Refractors of a couple different rare shades.

“I also own Bryce’s Bowman Chrome USA Red Refractor (numbered out of five) as a BGS 9.5,” he said, “as well an Orange Refractor (numbered out of 25).”

So what was it that attracted him to the Harper?


” I read that Sports Illustrated article when it was published and was intrigued by Bryce’s story,” Marcus said. “His physical ability and maturity at his age is jaw-dropping. But one thing that really struck me about his make-up is his work ethic. He has all of the ability in the world to be great and doesn’t take his gift for granted. He continues to work hard because of his desire to be the best. For all we know in a few years he could be hitting 600-foot home runs regularly.”

Marcus is an investment banker who admits that he took a break from collecting but has returned with a focus on rarities, much like the first buyer of the Strasburg Superfractor, Robert J. Power.

“I began collecting in the mid-1980s through the mid-1990s,” he said. “I took some time off and begain collecting again in 2007 because I liked the direction that the companies took with the changes to the products compared to the 1990s when cards were mass-produced. The thought of owning a card, and only a handful of them were made, brought my attention back to the hobby.

Ironically, Marcus isn’t a Nationals fan. He’s a fan of a different NL East team — the Mets — and he collects a few different players.

” I collect high-end Mets cards, as well as Miguel Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Albert Pujols and many top prospects from most organizations,” he said.

The Harper Superfractor did have a slight defect out of the packaging — a raised edge on the back bottom of the card — which might have made it tougher to sell. Clinton said he was glad he finally sold the card of the highly touted No. 1 overall draft pick.

“I am relieved at selling the card,” he said. “It took three months of non-stop low offers from almost everybody, including Brian Gray from the Razor company, who only offered $6,750 and said I wouldn’t get over $8,000 for this card.

Gray purchased the Strasburg from Power for $21,403 earlier this year, allowing the Michigan-based accountant a $4,000 profit on a card that had generated harassment after his purchase and the publicity that it generated.

Marcus said the Harper card’s defect didn’t worry him.

“The ‘issue’ with the card’s condition was not huge deal to me as this is the only one that exists,” Marcus said. ” It is what it is. When I received the card and saw the small scratch, it really wasn’t that bad at all. The seller mentioned that it was slightly damaged. There is a strong possibity that it could grade to a 9 as there are no other visible flaws. A bigger deal was made about the imperfection than should have been. Regardless, chances are that the public won’t ever see it again anyway as I’m putting it away.”

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball.

Bryce Harper Superfractor sale confirmed at $12,500 The Beckett Blog
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,987
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Quote:
It took three months of non-stop low offers from almost everybody, including Brian Gray from the Razor company, who only offered $6,750 and said I wouldn’t get over $8,000 for this card.
Hahaha. Awesome.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
ND3
Member
 
ND3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a Hospital Near You!
Posts: 11,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowoutcards View Post
Bryce Harper Superfractor sale confirmed at $12,500
September 28, 2010, 3:08 pm

2010 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper USA Superfractor 1/1 RC - eBay (item 180559903320 end time Sep-18-10 18:20:14 PDT)

The season started with a high-profile SuperFractor sale from 2010 Bowman and it’s winding down with one as well.

The Bryce Harper USA Baseball 1/1 from the overwhelmingly popular prospecting line has sold and was confirmed as a $12,500 purchase on eBay, emulating the other high-profile Washington Nationals sale of earlier this year — the $21,403 Stephen Strasburg.
This time, though, the card took a little more time on the auction block before actually selling — it was listed five times, according to original owner Earnest Clinton — before it was purchased by Aaron Marcus of Long Island, N.Y.

“I am not going to sell the card, as I want it for my personal collection,” Marcus said on Tuesday. “I might consider selling some of the other Bryces that I own someday, though.”

Among the other cards of the 17-year-old Nationals prospect in his collection are Refractors of a couple different rare shades.

“I also own Bryce’s Bowman Chrome USA Red Refractor (numbered out of five) as a BGS 9.5,” he said, “as well an Orange Refractor (numbered out of 25).”

So what was it that attracted him to the Harper?


” I read that Sports Illustrated article when it was published and was intrigued by Bryce’s story,” Marcus said. “His physical ability and maturity at his age is jaw-dropping. But one thing that really struck me about his make-up is his work ethic. He has all of the ability in the world to be great and doesn’t take his gift for granted. He continues to work hard because of his desire to be the best. For all we know in a few years he could be hitting 600-foot home runs regularly.”

Marcus is an investment banker who admits that he took a break from collecting but has returned with a focus on rarities, much like the first buyer of the Strasburg Superfractor, Robert J. Power.

“I began collecting in the mid-1980s through the mid-1990s,” he said. “I took some time off and begain collecting again in 2007 because I liked the direction that the companies took with the changes to the products compared to the 1990s when cards were mass-produced. The thought of owning a card, and only a handful of them were made, brought my attention back to the hobby.

Ironically, Marcus isn’t a Nationals fan. He’s a fan of a different NL East team — the Mets — and he collects a few different players.

” I collect high-end Mets cards, as well as Miguel Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Albert Pujols and many top prospects from most organizations,” he said.

The Harper Superfractor did have a slight defect out of the packaging — a raised edge on the back bottom of the card — which might have made it tougher to sell. Clinton said he was glad he finally sold the card of the highly touted No. 1 overall draft pick.

“I am relieved at selling the card,” he said. “It took three months of non-stop low offers from almost everybody, including Brian Gray from the Razor company, who only offered $6,750 and said I wouldn’t get over $8,000 for this card.

Gray purchased the Strasburg from Power for $21,403 earlier this year, allowing the Michigan-based accountant a $4,000 profit on a card that had generated harassment after his purchase and the publicity that it generated.

Marcus said the Harper card’s defect didn’t worry him.

“The ‘issue’ with the card’s condition was not huge deal to me as this is the only one that exists,” Marcus said. ” It is what it is. When I received the card and saw the small scratch, it really wasn’t that bad at all. The seller mentioned that it was slightly damaged. There is a strong possibity that it could grade to a 9 as there are no other visible flaws. A bigger deal was made about the imperfection than should have been. Regardless, chances are that the public won’t ever see it again anyway as I’m putting it away.”

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball.

Bryce Harper Superfractor sale confirmed at $12,500 The Beckett Blog
That is awesome!
__________________
Maybe if I stick your head through that window over there you'll get unconfused. Give me the feckkin money. -- Nicky Santoro
http:/www.photobucket.com/nd3
ND3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
dthimesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 16,343
Default

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the Brian Gray quote, I so hope he reads that article and freaking eats it.
__________________
Twitter: @thedthimesch
Ustream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dthimesch
Vaughntv Channel: http://breakers.tv/dthimesch
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Land of 11,842 lakes
Posts: 28,245
Default

Too bad BG didn't get it, another card he could advertise but not put in RRR
__________________
107 plate autos so far: photobucket.com/plateautographs #BoLieve #$9.99 #WeThePeople #BetterDeadThanRed #SuplexRepeat #SuplexRepeat #SuplexRepeat
Collect Ra'Shede Hageman, Trevor Plouffe, Kennys Vargas, Twins Printing Plates
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
dthimesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 16,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Too bad BG didn't get it, another card he could advertise but not put in RRR
That wouldn't have shown back up on the market!
__________________
Twitter: @thedthimesch
Ustream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dthimesch
Vaughntv Channel: http://breakers.tv/dthimesch
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/96250-bryce-harper-superfractor-sale-confirmed-12-500-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Bryce Harper Superfractor sale confirmed at $12,500 | This thread Refback 03-23-2011 03:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.