Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDailey1982 View Post
i dont think it has anything to do with sportkings. i think topps could care less about them.
I don't honestly think they did it because SK did, although it is a pretty funny coincidence.

Speaking of not caring about someone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddearing View Post
By "watered down auto checklist" he was referring to the fact that all those guys you mentioned were on the checklist when the checklist was released with 25 names. Then, they updated the checklist to add another 25 names, making it twice as hard to get one of those big name players.
...how much does Topps care about their customers when they release a checklist with 25 names, and then double that checklist later on "making it twice as hard to get one of those big name players"?

Does Topps ever release production numbers? Isn't that information all their customers would want? I would think if they cared about their customers, they would release harmless information like this.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #27 (permalink)

Must be Topps is trying to keep the Case Value of Topps Chrome from dropping as fast as Sportkings Series D......Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Does Topps ever release production numbers? Isn't that information all their customers would want? I would think if they cared about their customers, they would release harmless information like this.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Must be Topps is trying to keep the Case Value of Topps Chrome from dropping as fast as Sportkings Series D......Doh!
Well, they're not doing a very good job of it! LOL...How fast has Chrome already dropped before it ever released?

If you don't know the answer, I'll tell you...

At one time, Topps Chrome was around $88 per box, (very similar, yet a little higher than SK at release). Then Chrome dropped to around $52, (much less than what you can buy SK for).

Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, they're not doing a very good job of it! LOL...How fast has Chrome already dropped before it ever released?

If you don't know the answer, I'll tell you...

At one time, Topps Chrome was around $88 per box, (very similar, yet a little higher than SK at release). Then Chrome dropped to around $52, (much less than what you can buy SK for).

DOH! Snap!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't honestly think they did it because SK did, although it is a pretty funny coincidence.

Speaking of not caring about someone...

...how much does Topps care about their customers when they release a checklist with 25 names, and then double that checklist later on "making it twice as hard to get one of those big name players"?

Sadly, I have to agree with you here Wheeler. I ordered heavier this year in hopes of comming real close to completing the set (with all of the autos). My son and I do it every year. When they doubled the auto checklist and pumped it full of scrubs, it made me feel cheated. I am not a case flipper, we complete our set and sell off/trade the extras to expand our Twins collection and maybe recoup some of the pain of paying for a case or two of cards. We are not in this for profit, but profit or not, this move by Topps had to leave every presell buyer with a bad taste in their mouth. They did this when Topps Chrome was presaling higher than it ever has. It was classless, and leaves me thinking that when they release those announcements that a product has sold out out at the factory, it is a bunch of BU!! SH!$. They are doing whatever they want as they watch the demand fluctuate. If our boxes are anything like the boxes Beckett opened (shorted refractors, no color, and scrub autos), I will be writing, calling, emailing Topps with a scorned collectors attitude. I did get in on presales pretty late, so I didn't overpay by much, so that helps a little. But the presale odds listed on every site give odds of 1 refractor every 3 packs. And lets face it, a true chromie, like my son and I, buy this stuff for the refractors of our favorite players.

Shame on you Topps,

STUMP
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

You are Doh! snapping your own quote eight minutes later. Did you think that you made a good point and wanted to pat yourself on the back?

With almost an identical price curve (time duration is different, but they both dropped to with $3 per box per Blowout Weekend Specials) do you want to explain why Series D SK is $59/box headed to $39/box by Black Friday. Are you still buying Box Tops for $15?

For the record I believe the Topps Chrome Wrapper Redemption cards will be overproduced and worthless. The addition of 25 autos was another garbage move.

Quote:
DOH! Snap!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #32 (permalink)

I understand what he meant. While I don't like the fact that they added 25 autos, the checklist still doesn't look that bad to me. Stanton, Strasburg, Nova, Ramos, Jay, Santana and Castro weren't on the original checklist.
gergs1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergs1134 View Post
I understand what he meant. While I don't like the fact that they added 25 autos, the checklist still doesn't look that bad to me. Stanton, Strasburg, Nova, Ramos, Jay, Santana and Castro weren't on the original checklist.
Finally someone with a slightly optimistic attitude. 5 years ago the hobby almost died and now that everyone is living high from 2010 Bowman they expect every product to double their money and make them rich.

I will openly admit the only reason I am here and back in the hobby is because of Strasburg, and since his injury all I've seen is nothing but complaining on this forum. Well, complain all you want. I am stoked about this product and can't wait til my cases come in!
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Finally someone with a slightly optimistic attitude. 5 years ago the hobby almost died and now that everyone is living high from 2010 Bowman they expect every product to double their money and make them rich.

I will openly admit the only reason I am here and back in the hobby is because of Strasburg, and since his injury all I've seen is nothing but complaining on this forum. Well, complain all you want. I am stoked about this product and can't wait til my cases come in!
Don't get my little rant wrong, I am hoping for the best. And I know we'll have a blast opening this stuff. Maybe even pull some nice autos. I'm just getting the feeling that we may be looking at the largest production run of Topps Chrome in at least the last 4 years. That means less refractors/decent autos. My son and I will still be on the edges of our seats hunting for the tougher autos for our set. The anticipation in our house has been building since the release date got pushed back. We are also still stoked. The USA autos should be interesting, and maybe we'll pull a logoman patch card!!
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
You are Doh! snapping your own quote eight minutes later. Did you think that you made a good point and wanted to pat yourself on the back?

With almost an identical price curve (time duration is different, but they both dropped to with $3 per box per Blowout Weekend Specials) do you want to explain why Series D SK is $59/box headed to $39/box by Black Friday. Are you still buying Box Tops for $15?
The part in bold above makes me laugh because of the part in bold below:

Quote:
So SK has been out for months now...yep, literally months, and Topps Chrome hasn't even come close to that. Yet Topps Chrome sells cheaper than you can find boxes of SK D. LOL!!! And they were once selling for more than what SK D released at. Therefore, Topps Chrome dropped in value not only further than SK D, but at a much greater accelerated rate.

You messed up again spouting off without doing your homework. I added the "snap" comment in good fun.

Do you really think places like Blowout are going to sell SK D boxes for $39? Yeah, right. I will have purchased them all way before that ever happens. And to answer your question...Yes. I am still buying empty boxes for $15 each.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
Don't get my little rant wrong, I am hoping for the best. And I know we'll have a blast opening this stuff. Maybe even pull some nice autos. I'm just getting the feeling that we may be looking at the largest production run of Topps Chrome in at least the last 4 years. That means less refractors/decent autos. My son and I will still be on the edges of our seats hunting for the tougher autos for our set. The anticipation in our house has been building since the release date got pushed back. We are also still stoked. The USA autos should be interesting, and maybe we'll pull a logoman patch card!!
It's all good, and I'm glad you're still as excited as I am. Your rant was mild compared to some posts in other threads about this year's post-Stras-injury product lol, so I was mostly referring to those.

Maybe you can help answer a question though...If Topps is advertising refractors as 1:3 and then step up their production run, do they change the odds on the packs to reflect what the REAL odds are, or do they just pretend like nothing happened and leave people wondering why they got 6 instead of 8 refractors? Is it possible that any of the refractors were numbered higher this year to make up for the increase in production overall?
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsrule54 View Post
probably. everyone hyped it up expecting a strasburg auto, but instead got a watered down auto checklist. ill probably be picking up half a box for the rookies though.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

it had suuuuccchhhhh a gooooooodddd checklist
now they added in a bunch of no names
theres goes MY shot of a Heyward and Ike Davis(yes IKE DAVIS not strasburg) Rookie Autos

Well its ALWAYS too good to be true..... i should just accept that by now
Looking for 1968 TOPPS #177 METS ROOKIE STARS
1959 Topps Don Drysdale #387
Collect Mike Piazza, Pedro Martinez, Andre Ethier, Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Mets, 60s and 70s Topps
ROOKIES:looking for Buster Posey and Ike Davis
piazza31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:

i really dont care about strasburg all i know is hes a good money maker if hes hot (and still when hes not lol)

all i want is an Ike Davis and a Jason Heyward RC Auto and ill be the happiest person in the world

i AM still picking up a box or two and im gunna be excited breaking it to see what i get out of it

Just my opinion on the topic Thanks
Looking for 1968 TOPPS #177 METS ROOKIE STARS
1959 Topps Don Drysdale #387
Collect Mike Piazza, Pedro Martinez, Andre Ethier, Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Mets, 60s and 70s Topps
ROOKIES:looking for Buster Posey and Ike Davis
piazza31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #39 (permalink)

I like the checklist, I'll have to pick up a few Burnett and Butera autos
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
It's all good, and I'm glad you're still as excited as I am. Your rant was mild compared to some posts in other threads about this year's post-Stras-injury product lol, so I was mostly referring to those.

Maybe you can help answer a question though...If Topps is advertising refractors as 1:3 and then step up their production run, do they change the odds on the packs to reflect what the REAL odds are, or do they just pretend like nothing happened and leave people wondering why they got 6 instead of 8 refractors? Is it possible that any of the refractors were numbered higher this year to make up for the increase in production overall?
That's the question of the hour. Won't know for sure until the cases show up. I know the Beckett break is only a 2 box sample, but by the looks of their 2 boxes, Topps did NOT increase the production of refractors. I'll be carefully reading the first pack I open. All I know is that for the last 4 years, Topps Chrome seemed to average 1 colored refractor per box, sometimes more. It's funny, economy in the tank (so they say), prices at an all time high for Topps chrome (or they were), and Topps ramps up production and waters down one of their best selling products? I wouldn't think distributors/retailers are real happy about it either. Another thought I had was that maybe they are going to be pumping way more retail out this year. It always sells well where I'm at and would hurt hobby refractor odds when it comes to color and base refractors (other than red, super, plates, they're hobby only), unless they increased the numbering/production on the colored/base refractors. Let's just hope the beckett break was a flukishly bad one.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #41 (permalink)

Just saw the first breaks of Topps Chrome retail. That's right, a week before the hobby release. They look like they're loaded with refractors, blue, purple, xfractors etc....not sitting well with me.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

Beckett opened up 2 hobby boxes and they didnt look very well. Nice Rc's and ref's, but the autos... Ouch.. Hope the 3 cases are amazing compared to that.
WhoStoleMyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #43 (permalink)

So Mr. Big Shot, at what price do you buy up the thousands of boxes that remain?

To answer your questions about Blowout selling SK D boxes for $39?, you would have never thought that they could ever drop to $59 because a lack of demand, but they have.

Topps Chrome has dropped because the speculators ran for the hills when Strasburg got hurt and SK D has dropped because almost nobody outside of NE Kansas wants it.

Quote:
Do you really think places like Blowout are going to sell SK D boxes for $39? Yeah, right. I will have purchased them all way before that ever happens. And to answer your question...Yes. I am still buying empty boxes for $15 each.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
So Mr. Big Shot, at what price do you buy up the thousands of boxes that remain?

To answer your questions about Blowout selling SK D boxes for $39?, you would have never thought that they could ever drop to $59 because a lack of demand, but they have.

Topps Chrome has dropped because the speculators ran for the hills when Strasburg got hurt and SK D has dropped because almost nobody outside of NE Kansas wants it.
Why you goofballs are comparing the popularity/price of Sport Kings to Topps Chrome is beyond me. They are 2 completely different products, with 2 completely different collector bases. Get outa here.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:

Resorting to calling names again I see. LOL!

Do you really think there are "thousands" of sealed boxes left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
Why you goofballs are comparing the popularity/price of Sport Kings to Topps Chrome is beyond me. They are 2 completely different products, with 2 completely different collector bases. Get outa here.
Yeah, go home Jetson. LOL. I was talking about the redemption programs, and you had to spout off, (incorrectly I might add because you can't do your homework first), about the SK product itself.

I'll be waiting for more name calling. That's what you're all about Jetson when you can't post something intelligent that's actually relevant and makes sense. (shaking my head)
Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #46 (permalink)

I am too much of a Gentlemen to call you what I really think of you.

Quote:
Resorting to calling names again I see. LOL!

Do you really think there are "thousands" of sealed boxes left?

Yeah, go home Jetson. LOL. I was talking about the redemption programs, and you had to spout off, (incorrectly I might add because you can't do your homework first), about the SK product itself.

I'll be waiting for more name calling. That's what you're all about Jetson when you can't post something intelligent that's actually relevant and makes sense. (shaking my head)
Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
I am too much of a Gentlemen to call you what I really think of you.
Yet not Gentlemen enough to refrain from calling all names.

Name calling is 3rd grade level behavior. Not sure how much of a Gentleman you can be in the 3rd grade.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #48 (permalink)

Hey wheeler remember when you where telling/pimping everyone what a great value SK would be? And that was at THAT price. Saying 2 out of the 3 boxes are autographs thats why it was cheaper than past editions and how strong the checklist would be! Proving once again you have NO idea what you are talking about.

did you get a free dinner out of that one also?

Did you dine in those red ali trunks?
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #49 (permalink)

And here's a reminder that I am looking for wrappers at a decent price, hobby only of course since I won't be able to pick any of those packs up. PM me once you guys start ripping hobby today. Thanks and have fun!
MMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #50 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900

Hey Piazza, isn't it somewhat blasphemous to want a Heyward RC so bad??? LOL good luck and yeah that Ike kid is pretty good too !
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote