Blowout Cards Forums
Curry

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What players sell for the most on the secondary market?

I'm curious as to which players you guys think consistently sell for higher amounts than they should (and not because you think a player is overrated)?

I know I've seen a few people mention that Vizquel and Galarraga sell well. Anyone have any others to add to the list?

Thanks
jasondeanmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Dranide

Omar Vizquel. Kris Bryant

/end thread
Dranide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranide View Post
Omar Vizquel. Kris Bryant

/end thread
If you are going to be obnoxious and use the /thread thing after something you post, at least do it correctly.
no10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bryce harper mike trout
CURLYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no10pin View Post
If you are going to be obnoxious and use the /thread thing after something you post, at least do it correctly.
^^^^^^^
LCM1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Overpriced: All young hot stars

Underpriced: Most HOFers

I'm constantly amazed at how little cards of players like Banks, Musial, Spahn, Feller, Gibson, Seaver, Carlton, Schmidt, etc. go for.

Heck, you can pick up autos of players like Duke Snider and Ralph Kiner for under $20.

And I'm still trying to figure out why Koufax autos sell for 10x Gibson autos....
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post

I'm constantly amazed at how little cards of players like Banks, Musial, Spahn, Feller, Gibson, Seaver, Carlton, Schmidt, etc. go for.

Heck, you can pick up autos of players like Duke Snider and Ralph Kiner for under $20.

And I'm still trying to figure out why Koufax autos sell for 10x Gibson autos....
I definitely agree with you.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

Yeah, my favorite autos are the Fleer Greats and Donruss Significant Sigs from the late 90s/early 00s. I've picked up Gibsons & Carltons for $10-12 from those sets, and they look nicer than most of what is put out today.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Yea this is a head scratcher!
hofcollector2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, my favorite autos are the Fleer Greats and Donruss Significant Sigs from the late 90s/early 00s. I've picked up Gibsons & Carltons for $10-12 from those sets, and they look nicer than most of what is put out today.
I've been working on the HOFers from the 2001 Donruss Classics Significant Signatures set for several years....just need Aaron, Bench, Reggie, Seaver and Boggs in baseball, and Staubach, Marino, and Steve Young in the football.

Gorgeous on-card autos and generally dirt cheap...
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

The problem with retired players is that signing autos becomes their full time job after their playing days are over. It really diminishes their prices quickly. I think Koufax has held value over the years because he didn't sign much for a while. If he continues to sign a ton, his prices will decrease also.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofcollector2 View Post
Yea this is a head scratcher!
I doubt anyone will say it it but I will. I am a jewish person (I mean I'm living in Israel right now). I know many jewish people. I know many jewish people who like baseball. I know many jewish people who are very well off. Koufax is often regarded as the greatest jewish baseball player ever. Therefore, many rich jewish baseball fans drive up the prices of his cards.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

As in many markets, sellers frequently make their money on nothing but normal market fluctuations and market volatility that have little or nothing to do with the items they're selling. There's none or almost no fluctuations or volatility with older players.
rainbowkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I've been working on the HOFers from the 2001 Donruss Classics Significant Signatures set for several years....just need Aaron, Bench, Reggie, Seaver and Boggs in baseball, and Staubach, Marino, and Steve Young in the football.

Gorgeous on-card autos and generally dirt cheap...
That is a great set, I have a few myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
I doubt anyone will say it it but I will. I am a jewish person (I mean I'm living in Israel right now). I know many jewish people. I know many jewish people who like baseball. I know many jewish people who are very well off. Koufax is often regarded as the greatest jewish baseball player ever. Therefore, many rich jewish baseball fans drive up the prices of his cards.
He was much harder to obtain as well prior to signing with Topps. He still has plenty of demand/value but that is a big part.

In baseball especially the up and coming guy or young star is where the money is. Doesn't bother me any as I have absolutely no desire in Correa, Trout, Bryant, Harper ect.

Ill take your Mays, Aaron, Koufax and so forth.

** https://www.flickr.com/photos/138959772@N06/albums **
Whodey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

It's pretty simple. When Uggs came out, how many chicks ran to the mall to get them. Remember when the hot haircut a few years ago was the feaux hawk? Isn't it crazy that people will pay $60 to see Ronda Rousey fight a nobody in a sport without many quality female fighters?

It's all about what is hot, what is now and what is new.

You have to think of cards like clothes or automobiles. Everyone in general wants the new hot look, especially if getting it early can make you "cooler" which in our world = more valuable. However, the classics like a 57' Chevy or a vintage suit never get old.

Unfortunately the stuff that falls in the middle just gets forgotten a lot. People want Mays, Mantle and Ruth but the audience is much smaller for Joe Cronin.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've seen some incredibly high-selling Alan Trammell and Will Clark low #ed cards.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I love the Donruss Signature Series cards from 1997 and 1998. Players that signed on-card while they were still playing the game (or at least not retired). These are the cards from 1997 and 1998 that I have:

I also have Konerko & Justice. Ripken is on the way
whitesoxfan3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Bingo...that same reason Dirk Nowitzki and Ichiro rare cards sell for so much. Sure they are great players but if you're the first or best of a ethnicity/group then you have more perceived value. The Germans and Japanese love them some Notwizki/Ichiro.

Quote:
Quote:

ctbinvestments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYW View Post
Bryce harper mike trout
how.........?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

It depends how you define what they "should" sell for. If you think prices should directly correspond to a player's talent, basically everyone retired is "underpriced" and everyone currently playing is "overpriced". If you are talking about relative to other players from the same time period, I think you could make a decent argument that any of these players are overpriced relative to similar players:
Lincecum
Vizquel
Galaragga
Harvey
deGrom
Hosmer
Rivera
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan3579 View Post
I love the Donruss Signature Series cards from 1997 and 1998. Players that signed on-card while they were still playing the game (or at least not retired). These are the cards from 1997 and 1998 that I have:

I also have Konerko & Justice. Ripken is on the way

Those are great too. I don't know how the autos fell in those boxes, so I don't know if these are from the same set as the ones that I collect or not. I think the 98 Significant Signatures is my favorite.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Those are great too. I don't know how the autos fell in those boxes, so I don't know if these are from the same set as the ones that I collect or not. I think the 98 Significant Signatures is my favorite.
----
Wow.. That Brett looks amazing!!

Yes, I believe signature series and significant signature were part of the same set in 1997 and 1998. The Milleneium Marks donruss signature series cards that I have been collecting from '97 and '98 are #'d up to /1000.

At one point I considered the Nolan significant signature card, however I opted for the elite dominator ('93) bc I love how it looks and I like that it was released during the last year of his playing career. I don't know if it's just me, but for some reason I value an on-card auto more if the player signed it during his playing career.

Great stuff!
whitesoxfan3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Mark Mcgwire is over priced. He is the only person I have ever collected and I thought for sure by now he would be in the $30-$50 range. I cant for the life of me figure out why he still sells for $100-$500+. Just look at Bonds and Sosa and Even Griffey. Mcgwire outsells them all 80% of the time. I know griffey has signed more but still. His prices make no sense. Yet my dumb arse keeps buying them. ugh
bethanyb1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Good point, never thought of it like that. This coming from someone whom doesn't collect based on race or religion, ect. It makes a lot of sense and Koufax was just damn good for the short time he played.
hofcollector2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

This is the kind of player/card situation I'm speaking of.....

2015 Topps Dynasty Big Cat Andres Galarraga Auto 4Color Patch 3 5 Rockies | eBay

not necessarily Bryce Harper, Trout, Bryant, etc because I certainly agree that paying thousands for a piece of cardboard can be ridiculous.